XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What can the dealer test and A drum failure.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What can the dealer test and A drum failure.

Another newbie question. So just thinking of taking my jag to the ***********
to see if they can scope out my limp mode/P0730. I do not want them to tell me I need a new transmission, so wondering if their scanner checks all the input data that is sent to the TCM?
And of course at $156.00 Hrly I do not want to take up too much of their valuable time.

Also wondering if I would have found a lot of debris in the trans pan if the A drum had failed? When I changed out the filter and oil and installed the transgo valve I would have thought that I should have seen a ton of stuff?
The oil was clean and virtually nothing but a light dusting on the magnets, I also cleaned all 4 wheel sensors at the same time. Hard reset does not make the the gearbox fault go away either.

This 03 Vanden plas only has 125Kilometers on it.
Any ideas????
Anyone??

Old 05-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Did you have the P0730 codded before installing the trans-go? The main fault for P0730 is a faulty valve body. Is it possible there was an error made during the trans-go install. Have you checked all of the electrical connections to the transmission?
A-Drum failure will give you no forward movement of the vehicle when in gear and doesn't usually set any fault codes or cause restricted performance

Old 05-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Vern
I purchased the car stuck in limp mode. I followed transgo instructions to a tee to remove and replace the single section of the valve body, and used a torque wrench to reinstall all the bolts. I guess when I had the pan off I should have checked the solenoids at that time.
But glad to hear that not likely a drum failure.
Cheers
RAM