XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What is this connector

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015 | 10:47 AM
|
Default What is this connector

Hi y'all
I'm having a few problems getting my car to crank, but the first question i have is about a connector that's taped to the fuel sending unit wires. Is it supposed to be connected to something, & what is its purpose. See picture

Thanks

Old 10-20-2015 | 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

That is for a CATS suspension sensor. Doesn't apply to your car. Did you try putting the transmission in neutral and attempt cranking yet?

Old 10-21-2015 | 05:42 PM
|
Default What's wrong w/ my fuel system

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
That is for a CATS suspension sensor. Doesn't apply to your car. Did you try putting the transmission in neutral and attempt cranking yet?
Thanks I have been trying to figure out what that connector went to for a long time. I should have joined this forum a long time ago I probably would have been driving by now.

I haven't tried to crank it up in neutral.

I think the gas tank is full of water & the pumps might be bad.
The gas cap was loose & the drain hole was clogged. I had water in the trunk & the top of the gas tank was wet too; This caused the lines connected to the fuel pump to start rusting.

I think the relays to the fuel pumps are ok. I decided to change the fuel filter and while it was off I tried to crank it to see if fuel would flow through the lines it didn't. It did crank up before I removed the filter but only for a min then it cut off.

I'm wondering what I should try first sea foam, heet, drain the tank, get the pumps tested, or something else.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2015 | 08:07 AM

Drain the tank and get fresh fuel in there. When I bought it, my car had been sitting for 15 months outside and had the same problem with a clogged drain hole and a "crank, no start" condition (fuel cap was so corroded that it came out in pieces). The mixture that siphoned out of the tank was about 8 gallons gas to 1 gallon of water. With fresh fuel, it started right up.

Old 10-24-2015 | 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ms00xjr
Hi y'all
I'm having a few problems getting my car to crank, but the first question i have is about a connector that's taped to the fuel sending unit wires. Is it supposed to be connected to something, & what is its purpose.
This question is asked a lot around here.

The connection is for the flux capacitor, should you be able to locate one for your year and model.

Just don't exceed 88 MPH unless you want to end up back in high school.

Vector

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (10-25-2015)
Old 11-06-2015 | 03:14 PM
|
Default Rusty gas & blown fuses

Originally Posted by Samilcar
Drain the tank and get fresh fuel in there. When I bought it, my car had been sitting for 15 months outside and had the same problem with a clogged drain hole and a "crank, no start" condition (fuel cap was so corroded that it came out in pieces). The mixture that siphoned out of the tank was about 8 gallons gas to 1 gallon of water. With fresh fuel, it started right up.
I drained the tank. It was full of about 12 gallons of water & gas. More water than gas. Some of it looked rusty. I have not added new fuel back to the tank yet.
The needle still moves a lil bit so I think there is some fuel left in the tank, but I'm concerned that the tank might be rusty inside.

Another thing that has started to happen is when I turn the key fuse #7 one of the fuel pump fuses blows.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2015 | 12:07 AM
|
Default Can't go back yet.

Originally Posted by Vector
This question is asked a lot around here.

The connection is for the flux capacitor, should you be able to locate one for your year and model.

Just don't exceed 88 MPH unless you want to end up back in high school.

Vector
Right now I can't even go 28 mph so no going back to the future for me, but when I get it running look out. :-)

Old 11-09-2015 | 11:11 AM

When I drained my tank I used the fuel sender opening (visible in your first picture) to siphon out all the gas. Use a hammer on a screwdriver and gently tap the sender tabs counter-clockwise. This opening is big enough that you should be able to shine a flashlight inside to check out the condition of the tank.

Old 11-17-2015 | 06:05 PM
|
Default Rusty gooey watery gas tank

Originally Posted by Samilcar
When I drained my tank I used the fuel sender opening (visible in your first picture) to siphon out all the gas. Use a hammer on a screwdriver and gently tap the sender tabs counter-clockwise. This opening is big enough that you should be able to shine a flashlight inside to check out the condition of the tank.
Hi,
I did what you suggested I was able to get some more gas out. The inside of the tank had a gooey rusty mixture of water & gas.
One of the fuel pump fuses keeps blowing fuse #7 when I turn the key I'm assuming this rusty mixture has something to do w/ it.
I was able to take some pictures inside the tank through the fuel sending unit hole.
Any suggestions for cleaning the tank or what I should do next.

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 11-19-2015 | 07:44 AM

Yikes, that's pretty bad. I would somehow mop up all of that remaining fluid (rag attached to a long stick maybe?), and at least remove the fuel pumps to clean (or better yet, replace More Information for AIRTEX FS175 ) the filter socks attached to the pump inlets.