XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What is correct replacement wiper blade for X308?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 08:17 AM
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Hello, I always use 20" blades as the 21's hit the upper window trim at the top. Mostly I use RainX blades but if they don't last long I don't care since I change my blades 2-3 times a year when they start leaving streaks. Also, they work best when new.
My 2¢

Old 03-25-2022, 09:25 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by aquifer
I’d move the arm up one spline so it doesn’t rest on the plastic.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I did a search & found this old thread:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ustment-49332/

At the base of the WW arm is a plastic cover that I was able to open a bit, after opening my hood (It probably should not be blocked by the closed hood) I’m not able to fully open that plastic protective cover due to the washer fluid tube.

But, I can raise it up enough to access the nut. I loosened the nut easily & then tried to change the angle of the arm which seemed somewhat stuck. I was able to force the arm so the resting position was now all on the glass. I tightened the nut & tried the wiper & it appears to be back to the resting too low position, with the last bit sitting on the plastic. I do not want to break it by using too much force.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 03-25-2022, 09:50 PM

I think I know the problem! I must remove the nut. Pull the entire WW arm up & off the spindle. I may have to buy some type of puller in order to get that arm off. In order to fully open the cap to remove the nut, I may need to disconnect the WW fluid tube from its attachment to the car. W/O tearing or damaging the tube.

So, probably will not be easy.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:57 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Whle We're At It, What About the Srpay Nozzles?

I have used white vinegar, thin probes to open the nozzles and anything thing to clean them, but the tiny "duck bills" are deteriorating. Can this be removed and replaced or is do I need a new armature?

Old 03-27-2022, 09:59 PM
Default Success!

Success!
I used a small screwdriver to carefully push off the WW fluid tube at the attachment to the car. Once that was off I opened the protective cover on the WW arm. I used a 17mm socket to remove the nut. I sprayed WD40 on the spindle & let sit a few minutes.
I used an open end 17mm wrench to lever under the arm base & it popped up! It still did not lift off so I used a large screwdriver to put under the opposite end of the base & twisted a bit & then the arm popped off!
So, I did not need to purchase a puller!

I placed the WW arm back on in a position such that it was a couple inches away from the bottom of the windshield at rest. I replaced nut (not too tight) Reattached hose & replaced protective cover. I closed hood & tested.
Perfect!

Not only does the resting bottom driver side position no longer touch the black plastic but, it sweeps a few inches farther on the passenger side, which has always stopped much too far from the bottom!
I’m sure this was misaligned from the day I purchased the car in 2000!

I always noticed the poor wipe on the passenger side due to the wiper stopping & reversing many inches from the bottom but, thought that is how single wiper cars wipe. I wish I had know this could be adjusted long ago!
This fix was long overdue.
5 Photos:

Remove tube

raise cover

nut removed

Carefully lever arm off

Compete! New resting position of wiper

Old 03-27-2022, 10:02 PM

For some strange reason my photos are badly pixellated after I click "Submit" starting with my post # 18. When I come back the next day, sometimes they are "fixed" & then a few days later...pixellated again.
They always look perfect when I click "Preview."

So, IDK if other JF members can see the photos or if it is just garbage & pointless.