XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What is the depth of the rear 6x9 alpine subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is the depth of the rear 6x9 alpine subwoofer?

i know that there’s a list somewhere of 6x9 speakers that will fit the 2000 xj8 vdp premium upgrade, but I can’t find it. I’ve spent hours on here and other sites, but can’t find a simple answer to the depth. Crutchfield only has one replacement, At 2 3/4” depth. Though it says other 6x9 with even shallower depths won’t fit.

im not too worried about the dual voice coils. I’m old and half deaf, but would still like to have a bit of bass. I’ve replaced the 6.5” ones in the doors, they were all blown. The rear 6x9 will make sound, but I think the paper is torn. It almost sounds like static if it tries to make a thump. I’m all too aware that if I try to repair it, I’ll just break it more. I don’t want to go the spacer route, so would like a solid depth value.

has anyone just unhooked it through the boot, and put a sub box in? Without removing the 6x9? I’d like to steer clear of removing the back seat if possible. But without removing the speaker, will any bass go to the cabin? If I have to remove the 6x9 anyways, I’ll just replace it.

sorry for the ramble. Thanks for any input!

Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Unless the actual cone of the speaker has been damaged, and that's very unlikely, there's not a whole lot you can do to make it worse trying to repair it. You have to remove it anyway if you're replacing it, but I found that even just repairing mine was plenty satisfactory. That said, I do have a single VC 6x9 woofer, I think it's a CDT Audio HD-690CFS, sitting on a shelf at home that I never did get around to installing. I purchased it as the 2nd of a pair of speakers from a member on here, after the following post discussion:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-159588/

Hopefully Jennifer sees and can reply with her thoughts. I bought the speaker with the same intent as you but then after the repair of the stock one, I was fine. It really doesn't take much to remove the shelf. You can certainly put a sub in the trunk, if so inclined. You'll still feel it, though there's the barrier between the cabin and trunk that might muffle it. Removing the shelf 6x9 does help a little but even if you don't, an aftermarket sub and amp will certainly be better than nothing.

The following users liked this post:
Joe Enge (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 AM

I’m a bit clumsy, great big meat hooks and two left thumbs... that’s why I’m wary of fixing it. I think that I spend half my time fixing things that I break fixing other things lol. Maybe I’ll look at the repair a bit more in depth, since people have had good success that route.

After “fixing” the high mount brake light, I’m just a bit wary of doing anything back there. The case literally crumbled in my hand. So afraid that the shelf connections are brittle too. The brake light doesn’t slide around anymore at least

Old 03-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Well I’m confused now. I had decided that I was going to try to repair it and put a box in. I spliced a little sub from the house into the left channel of the 6x9 after the amp, to have it ready for the box.

i went to test my connections, turning the sub level to +7. I’ve always had to have it at 0 or below, to not have the static. Not only does my little sub work, it’s 8 ohm so not much output... but the awful noise from the 6x9 is gone too. Volume remained the same. Setting on radio is still 20 and it doesn’t appear to have changed the volume output at all.

sounds actually good to me. Why on earth would the offending sound disappear? I didn’t touch the 6x9 at all. Head scratcher to me.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 741 Posts

I run 2 twelve inch Memphis Audio subs in a ported box rear firing box in mine. The sound has no problem traveling as the trunks acoustics are great, it sounds awesome !

Last edited by King Charles; 03-23-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Joe Enge (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,371 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Enge
Well I’m confused now. I had decided that I was going to try to repair it and put a box in. I spliced a little sub from the house into the left channel of the 6x9 after the amp, to have it ready for the box.

i went to test my connections, turning the sub level to +7. I’ve always had to have it at 0 or below, to not have the static. Not only does my little sub work, it’s 8 ohm so not much output... but the awful noise from the 6x9 is gone too. Volume remained the same. Setting on radio is still 20 and it doesn’t appear to have changed the volume output at all.

sounds actually good to me. Why on earth would the offending sound disappear? I didn’t touch the 6x9 at all. Head scratcher to me.

The 6x9 is dual voice coil, with inbuilt crossover in the amp/head unit. You have removed the sub channel hence no awful noise from the speaker, the high channel must still be working, but with an 8 ohm plugged in who knows for how long! This isn't a fix and could kill your head unit/amp.

A shallow mount single voice coil can be fitted and the high channel connectors blanked off with tape. You can also buy adaptor rings of plastic or MDF to add clearance for the replacement speaker, the route I took with an Alpine R replacement.

Joe Enge (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Enge
I spliced a little sub from the house into the left channel of the 6x9 after the amp, to have it ready for the box. Not only does my little sub work, it’s 8 ohm so not much output... but the awful noise from the 6x9 is gone too. Volume remained the same. Why on earth would the offending sound disappear? I didn’t touch the 6x9 at all. Head scratcher to me.
The original subwoofer is a dual coil type. The "dual" here does not mean woofer with a tweeter inside it, just a single diaphragm woofer but its coil consists of two separate windings working in unison. The one you disconnected is probably faulty causing the distortion.

There is no problem using an 8 Ohm woofer as the original is probably 4 Ohm each channel (coil) so your replacement speaker will be lower load to the amplifier. This speaker will produce somewhat lower bass output but you can compensate for it by just increasing the bass level (as you did). You can also put two small woofers in next to each other (if there is space) and connect them to the two subwoofer channels.

Joe Enge (03-24-2019)