XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That was the issue I was having, I could only read absolute throttle position on the laptop (I think autoenginuity has more readings). The problem did initially return on mine after I reported it fixed. I did the same fix a few times and it would always work for a few miles before the problem returned.

I started popping it into neutral every time just before I knew the tranny would kick into 1st when coming to a stop (because the car was still commanding throttle). After a couple of days, I noticed that it seemed to be commanding less throttle, so I started driving it normally and it seems ok now. However, I have only driven about 20 miles since it smoothed out.

Hopefully there is no mechanical issue and the computer has worked it out. If the problem returns I will post an update.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm finding there are quite a few unusual things about this car...the throttle setup being one of them.

After spending so many years in independent repair facilities as an auto tech and working on everything from Fords to Toyotas to BMWs....I was starting to think that I could figure out just about anything on my own. That is, until this $800 Jaguar came into my life. It's been a little humbling, but I have a new-found respect for the British Jag's engineering. What a brilliant car this is...so well executed.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by JagginItUp
What a brilliant car this is...so well executed.
Well, that's the optimistic view of it! If you have not downloaded the JTIS manual AND virtually everything Motorcarman has downloaded, DO SO! You can read for hours about stuff you only hope you never really need to know. :-{)

Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Well, that's the optimistic view of it! If you have not downloaded the JTIS manual AND virtually everything Motorcarman has downloaded, DO SO! You can read for hours about stuff you only hope you never really need to know. :-{)
Like the secondary cam chain tensioners, for instance? Believe me, that's had me a little freaked out running WOT, Sport Mode shifting 2-3 at 6,500 rpms...the last possible second. I kinda flinched and said "yikes" out loud, to myself... I know what a catastrophe p-to-v can be, especially on a 32-valve engine that isn't in great abundance at any scrap yard.

I've been fixing the old gal up though, bit by bit... When the engine is running right, it's a damn rocketship. People are always surprised at how quick it is and how light it feels.

I see it as a fairly practical, reasonable 4-door sedan for the driving enthusiast