XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Einhead

I now know where the 90kmh (56mph) vibrations came from.. the bearing have been running for quite some time with almost no grease left and has been overheated to the point of rollers starting to get deformed.. That most likely happend on a longer distance... then later, just driving around in the home area i have had the vibration issue..

When checking the bearing.. the rollers are not 100% round any more..

With the left rear bearing replaced im hoping to get rid of the 110kmh (70mph) hum when accelerating..
You know.. I always thought that 80-90 kmh vibration came from my tires being out of round or something to do with the roof rack, but now you've got me thinking...

Old 05-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

When doing those rear bearings did you simply reuse the preload spacer that goes between them, and not have any issues? I'd read the manual on the rear bearing job and it said to swap out spacers until there was a certain amount of preload on the bearings. I'd figured since I don't have a supply of spacers on hand it'd be one of those jobs to take it to a shop.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:50 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The bearings are made to strict tolerances and the manufactures would be cleared out of business if they could not live up to them. I used the same shims that was installed originally and when i was done i made sure there was no play in the bearings what so ever and that the wheel rotated freely, everything well greased with a quality wheelbearing grease.

If i have to choose between continue driving with a bad bearing, take it to the shop and get robbed or do it myself.... if it is reasonable doable.. i most certanly do it myself. :-)

/E

Last edited by Einhead; 05-17-2017 at 01:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nilanium (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

As my beloved X308 remains in paint I have idle hands syndrome. Went & test drove this XJ6(linked below) & it's awesome albeit the color. Price is excellent as well so who knows what this weekend may bring to my drive-way.

https://onslow.craigslist.org/cto/6102713467.html

Last edited by King Charles; 05-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

If the paint is still good enough to bring it back to full shine,
and you get rid of those awful bumpers,
and you get rid of those awful white tires,

It will be a BEAUTIFUL machine!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
If the paint is still good enough to bring it back to full shine,
and you get rid of those awful bumpers,

It will be a BEAUTIFUL machine!
Always loved the nose on this era, the headlights,hood & grill contours(not the bumper) are more curvy/sexy it gives the car a stalking like stance to me visually. It sounded really mean & clean on my test drive I was really impressed !

One of my former clients video has never been more fitting for me right now lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 05-17-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
It's not often I disagree with you... but those whitewall tyres are perfect, and definitely need to stay

It really is a shame about the US spec bumpers though. My god they're horrific!

Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Justification Exhibit A : My son's soon to be driving ( well that's my excuse lol). I'm going back this weekend w/ $4,000 in cash & if he bites, it's mine.

Further justification : My Maserati has been a bit of a let down to be honest & only has 9,000 miles so I've subconsciously been wanting to get rid of it. I'm sure I can fetch a nice price for it as it's a rare sight for this area.

I will continue to talk myself into this venture lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 05-17-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Went at it and also replaced the left rear wheel beering this evening...

There was absolutley no grease left.. only some burnt goo that smelled terrible..

Now i can say for sure that the 90kmh vibrations are gone... if im sitting and wondering if its really, really gone... trying to feel it... they for sure are.. so are the very low level, low frequency rumble.. With new bearings there is nothing that set of resonances in the suspension that connects to the body.. other than the wheels.... hmmm.. i may take them to the wheelshop for some, if possible better balancing anyway..

The 110kmh humming "noice"... well.... after giving it a thought in my now a little more quieter car, i came to the conclusion that its actually may be the engine..
I figure it must make atleast some kind of noice.. :-)

/E

Old 05-18-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Justification Exhibit A : My son's soon to be driving ( well that's my excuse lol). I'm going back this weekend w/ $4,000 in cash & if he bites, it's mine.

Further justification : My Maserati has been a bit of a let down to be honest & only has 9,000 miles so I've subconsciously been wanting to get rid of it. I'm sure I can fetch a nice price for it as it's a rare sight for this area.

I will continue to talk myself into this venture lol.
TBH I've only found the quattroporte and gran turismo to my liking. Especially when the exhaust is uncorked and you can hear that Ferrari engine sing. I have to say I've enjoyed my XJR much more than just about any other car I've owned. I've been eyeing an older XJ to get so I can try some hot rodding.

King Charles (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tahoemedic
TBH I've only found the quattroporte and gran turismo to my liking. Especially when the exhaust is uncorked and you can hear that Ferrari engine sing. I have to say I've enjoyed my XJR much more than just about any other car I've owned. I've been eyeing an older XJ to get so I can try some hot rodding.
Yes it's been a major let down as Maserati was one of my dream cars since a youth. Just the handling & highway mannerisms are more akin to a Nissan Sentra than a premium sports car. There's no comparison between my 17 year old X308 when it comes to highway handling.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I really like that XJ6, although the bumpers need to go.

One thing I really like about the X308's design is how Geoff Lawson referenced other XJ models in it's design. For example I love the subtle reference to the rear wing tips of the XJ6 on the 308.

Today I will be checking over my XJ and making her ready for her big trip to mainland Europe. She will be travelling from the North of England to France, into Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany before returning home next week.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-flank.jpg  

Last edited by Stu 1986; 05-19-2017 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Forgot Photo
Old 05-19-2017, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Have a great trip, Stu.
​​​​​​
​​

Old 05-22-2017, 01:53 AM
Default Sluggish window lifting mechanism

Door in pieces, glass out..

Well.. a picture says more than...

The lifting motor/mechanism

Had to take the right front door apart.. the sluggish window lifting motor was long overdue.
To disassembly the door is thankfully a piece of cake, and with some gaffatape holding the glass... the same goes for the lifting motor.

When trying the motor it was running as nice as the replacement lifting motor i had prepared.. so it is the glass "tracks" then...

The glass had to go.. just lower it, tilt it forward and lift out.. piece of cake..

It proved to be the aft sashchannel that had corroded behind the rubber right where the glass moves in to the lower part of the door, causing it to bulge.. pulled the rubber out as much as needed and cleaned up the area behind it, corrosionstop, paint and then put everything togeather again.

It was a little pain to get the rubber back in to the sashchannel, had to make a flexible plastic tool, abboujt 10" long with the same thickness as the glass and a rounded end, and then run it up and down in the rubber in order to force it in to Place with the help of a small screwdriver..

Since the "track" was bone dry i actually sprayed some silicone in to it in order to help the glass to slide.. I know, i know.. silicone.. but a man got to do what a man got to do..

/E

Old 05-22-2017, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Well this was yesterday but I removed the battery, as it was dead and then cleaned the boot out... Full of clutter like cats, tranny bracket, exhaust parts, new parts etc.

This Friday I hope to have the old man running and movable again! Wish me luck

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
CharlzO (05-22-2017), King Charles (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Has anybody tried to replace the bearings in the radiator fans? My right fan is sluggish and blows the fuse after about 15 minutes running. New fans are pricey and used ones may or may not be a fix.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

One of my motors burned out and I took it apart just out of curiousity. I don't think it's something that's easily servicable, but I could be wrong, especially if you're very careful with them.

The issue could be shorts inside the winding as well, which isn't really feasible to fix. Put a used fan in its place and haven't looked back.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, it was actually Saturday, but might as well let him ride to the prom in a little class.

King Charles (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Well, it was actually Saturday, but might as well let him ride to the prom in a little class.]
Good man Charles sir !

XJ6 update : I went to drive it again Sunday afternoon, this time the car was pulled from the inside garage bay & I got to see the concrete underneath it. It indicated a heavy oil leak which the seller was indifferent to when pointed out. I spoke w/ the maintenance/detailer guy alone & he confirmed the car had a few massive leaks.

Seller turned down my $4K offer & I avoided another project, win/win.

Last edited by King Charles; 05-22-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Post Fan bearings

Originally Posted by nilanium
One of my motors burned out and I took it apart just out of curiousity. I don't think it's something that's easily servicable, but I could be wrong, especially if you're very careful with them.

The issue could be shorts inside the winding as well, which isn't really feasible to fix. Put a used fan in its place and haven't looked back.
I am used to working on small synchornous motors used in radar antenna position. also long experience in Vacuum motors. I think I will give it a try, if it doesn't work I haven't lost anything except time
Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?