XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Fixed my P1121 issue that started popping up last week. Never had that issue, but then out of nowhere a week ago, the car would kick into Failsafe, and throw codes. I could reset with the Torque app on the fly and keep driving, as opposed to stopping and turning the car off and on. It did it a half dozen times on the way to work, but then I stopped and filled the tank up (was on about 1/4ish), and it didn't do it since. Until yesterday morning, it did it again twice on the way in. Again, at about 1/4 tank of gas. My first thought was maybe the pumps were starving at low tank volume and somehow going off (I forgot what the code was, so I was just guessing). On the way home, did it again even after filling up, so I re-scanned instead of clearing, grabbed the 1121 and hopped on here last night.

After resigning myself that I might have to pull her out of commission to have the TB rebuilt, I figured I'd go out this morning, make sure the zip tie was still in place, and make sure the connectors weren't corroded. Opened the hood, and lo and behold, the silicon elbow of my Mina Intake had slipped an edge up off the throttle body (probably because I didn't get it tight enough, coupled with weak motor mounts I have yet to replace). Grabbed a driver, re-positioned, and so far, not a peep on the way in today.

Fingers crossed for the next week.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

All prepared and ready to install the tranny tomorrow. Still looking forward to how the Audi S8 tranny upgrade performs. I'll nip my plate off, throw it in the screen and do a test like that. At least up to 60 kph to see what it does differently

Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question fan assy.

I have had trouble with the RH fan blowing fuses, pulled fan assy and found both fans to be TU. New fan assy is on the way. Started trouble shooting driver seat intermittent memory problem. Some functions always work but the forward/backward is problematic as it mostly only works in manual. Any clues deeply appreciated.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

Tranny is installed. All fits well, just need to now remove the engine and tranny on the subframe and then I can get this bugger running again Yay!

EDIT: The pictures...

Last edited by Daim; 05-27-2017 at 08:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Einhead (05-27-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Holiday

Last Week I went on my Holiday and the Jag performed well. In 7 Days she went through 5 Countries, covered 1758 miles, used 315 litres of fuel and averaged 24.5mpg. The areas we visited were the hilly and mountainous region of Belgium known as The Ardennes, but I also travelled to Luxembourg up some massive hills on twisted roads which made for some fun drives.

In 7 days I didn't see another X308, although I got plenty of looks and glances at my own car. The only XJ I saw was an X300 laid up down the side of a house covered in moss.

I took a few photos of my car in various locations around Belgium, I'll add them below. She got a bit mucky so this afternoon I gave her a good wash & wax with various Auto Glym products.

Day 2 of our Holiday, sat in a Castle car park. I came back to the car to find a child having his photo taken by my car.

Can you see the little XJ hiding in this shot? I took this as it's interesting to see the Audi A4 parked behind me is standing taller then the XJ and is longer.

It was quite hot whilst I was there by UK standards, and on this day it was 28C. Finding a nice shady and using my sun shade helped a lot.

Stopping to look at the view, the evening sun cast a nice light for photos. Despite the car being quite dirty and covered in dead bugs.

I wish so much the car had been clean for this shot.

Many of the roads I drove on were like this, deserted. I love this part of the world.

The castle in the background is Lavaux St Anne which is a particular favourite of mine.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Looks like you had a good break mate, what's Europe's road quality like these days, a country with deserted roads sounds like a dream to us Jaguar drivers

Old 05-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Took the car for a little drive yesterday.

Realised it had been over two months since I'd driven it last. The car wouldn't unlock from the remote, it took about half a dozen cranks before it came to life, all four tyres were down to about 25psi.
Drove the car to the service station and pumped the tyres back up to 34, whilst leaving the car running to charge the battery.
Then I turned up the stereo and headed out to watch a couple of friends compete in a local autocross.
Saw some pretty interesting cars there, and even got a couple of compliments on how good the Jag is looking, even though with all the paint scrapes and layer of dust covering it...

I really need to get out and drive it more!
Since buying the Mrs a little A3 to get around town, the Jag barely gets used any more
Driving it yesterday reminded me why I love it so much though. Hopefully I'll find the motivation to give it another decent wash and drive it a bit more often

Old 05-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Lucky me with a dirt driveway, took the time to wash the mud off just a few minutes ago. With the hopes that the morning brings dry enough weather that I can avoid any little bits left backing out. I wasn't going to, but then with going to work on Memorial Day, and all the local shows and gatherings happening, I couldn't bring myself to drive it through public with all that mud over it. I contemplated putting the door insert in out of boredom, but again reminded myself to wait for the trim clips and new cable to arrive before pulling it apart. Do it once, not thrice, I suppose.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:50 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Well not a good day! The moon roof or "retractable roof panel" broke. The plastic parts have crumbled in several places after all the years in the west coast heat/sun. I tried to fix it but it's a complete fail and now the car has no roof. Unfortunately I will be having to pay to play. I will buy a unit somewhere and have the local jaguar dealer put it in. I'm afraid to mess with the headliner myself.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
Looks like you had a good break mate, what's Europe's road quality like these days, a country with deserted roads sounds like a dream to us Jaguar drivers
The roads are typically European, perfect surfaces at times then suddenly turn rough, pot holed and lumpy. Motorways are smooth but there are patches that have been repaired by dumping product into holes and cracks causing the surface to be raised which can be a wake up when doing 80. The Belgian drivers are impatient and want to exceed the speed limit, they don't appreciate being held up by a tourist Brit.

However one particularity impatient kid in a Seat Ibiza got a wake up call after he'd driven so dangerously close behind me through a town I could read the logo on his shirt in my rear view mirror. Leaving the town and entering the national speed limit he went to overtake, but I already had it in sport and 2nd gear and the little 3.2 showed she's capable enough to embarrass the kid showing off to his girlfriend. He stayed back after that. LOL

Old 05-29-2017, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,949 Likes on 870 Posts

Today: 1. Still pondering how to locate and cure that damned left rear wheel rattle. 2. Wanted to open right right rear door and something snapped, door is now permanently locked shut, youtubed the problem and found out that taking the trim off that door to attempt a repair is nothing to laugh at. 3. Fuel consumption is too high, exhausts still jet black and sooty. 4. Took her for a spin and kick-down takes ages to work. Pushing "S" button in works well, though.

Takeo.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile Fitted New Exhaust Trims

New trims fitted this weekend,think I've got equal both sides now,I'm a bit ocd when it comes to things like this,now I'm thinking they're a bit too big,still we'll see how it goes.
Have fun.
Stu your car looks great,glad you had a good trip.
Andy

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-img_20170527_164900.jpg  
Old 05-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Too big? These cars can wear 4" tips

The following users liked this post:
A.J.P (05-31-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the bearings in the idler and tensioner pulleys. Thanks to those who contributed to the thread that gave the part numbers and instructions. These forums are absolutely fantastic!

Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got back my gar from the mechanic, a serpentine belt, four bearings, tensioners and few other engine parts set me back almost 1000 EUR. There goes my christening fixing my car.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile Axle Stands

Only drove her today but got some new axle stands in preparation for rear suspension removal on the Jag and gave them a trial run changing the rear brake pads on son-in-laws Jeep Patriot(trying to convince him that a XJ8 would be better).
Take care.
Andy

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-img_20170531_130822.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by A.J.P
now I'm thinking they're a bit too big,still we'll see how it goes.
I remember I was there too, even had a poll about it.
Not too big, just right!

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
A.J.P (06-01-2017), Daim (05-31-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 05:10 PM

Started my afternoon with the intent to finish off the stereo install in my Saab 9-3, and that went nowhere in a hurry, so I turned back to my doors. I had ordered cables on e-bay, and thank goodness they weren't expensive, one of them had no lip at all on the rubber grommet, so that was junk. But it gave me time to look closer, and to start installing the insert and trim clips in the doors. As a bonus, bank error in my favor ended up having an additional 20 trim clips sent to me. I ordered 10.. got 30 (the 10 in one package, and then 20 more in another). Granted, I only needed like.. 7...

I also reconnected the driver's side actuator. I don't even remember unplugging it before, but I'm sure I did when I was trying to diagnose my door lock issue. So now I have my chimes back. And the very first time I locked the car, yay, all locks locked. And unlocked. And then.. nope, driver's door doesn't lock any more. Again. I guess I'll spray some lubricant in there again, not sure what's going on with it. And I have no idea how that thing comes out, There must be some angle I haven't found yet. But the key will turn unlock just fine, and now will unlock all the other doors when doing so. It just won't lock. Fingers crossed on that.

So now I'm just waiting for epoxy to cure on the passenger handle (one of the tabs that the handle hinges on, was broken. And since I didn't notice it, I didn't order one. Hoping the epoxy will hold in the meantime. Also epoxied back on one of the little yellow pieces that had broken off. But it's nice to have every trim clip back on the driver's door, and I'll have all but one on the passenger. I also tried using some Back to Black on the door handle cups. Zero difference at all, so I hit them with a couple passes of some black paint I had. Drying ahead.

Side note - Anyone else have a small gap along the mid section of the bottom of the door panels where they just don't seem to snap flush all the way in? Both of my door panels are that way, and I can't find a reason for it. Just bugs me because I know it's there.

Last edited by CharlzO; 06-01-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

Was out in my XJ yesterday driving around, when my friend text me to ask if I was free for a quick call. I quickly pulled over to reply giving him the number for the factory phone in my car, telling him to call me on that as I was driving. He said he could hear me better and more clearly on the Jag's phone than he can when his girlfriend uses the factory bluetooth in her 2016 Fiat 500.

Later on whilst waiting in traffic, I switched my radio on. There was a group of kids standing on the pavement, when they saw the aerial rise up out the wing they were all impressed and were saying how cool it was. I found that quite amusing.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

@CharlzO. Are you describing the door lock pieces on your XJR? If so, I have had the same problem with mine in that the lock didn't seem to want to slide forward after the main torque screws were taken out. On searching for an explanation, I found a piece on the service manual disc, that shows that the connecting clips on BOTH door handles (inner and outer) are attached to the lock and MUST be disconnected to allow the lock to slide forward and come out. The inner is the one that pops up out of the trim when unlocking, and the outer is a similar metal and attached near the top of the fitting. I hope this is the right thing that I've described, and that it allows you to remove the lock fitting attached to back edge of door. Fingers crossed !!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?