XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Not even 750 miles since my transmission re-build, I'm getting a harsh 1st shift going into drive when it's cold. Never had that before the work, I think I am going to contact the shop & ask them to install the Trans Go Kit.

Only thing I've done different is keep it in "Sports" mode this time around.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Not even 750 miles since my transmission re-build, I'm getting a harsh 1st shift going into drive when it's cold. Never had that before the work, I think I am going to contact the shop & ask them to install the Trans Go Kit.

Only thing I've done different is keep it in "Sports" mode this time around.
So they only replaced the broken a drum? Is that what you told them to do? The amount of times I have explained what kill these trannies and that still happens...

The A drum isn't weak. The A drum can withstand a lot of abuse. It can't withstand pressure peaks from a worn main pressure valve.

If you're unlucky, your A drum is cracked again.

The following users liked this post:
A.J.P (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:16 AM
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Did my pressure valve a couple of weeks ago myself and I notice the trans shifts smoother now(I thought it was shifting ok before but obviously it was not quite right)so it's done something,hopefully for the better.
If it wasn't for the good people on this forum I would never of heard about the pressure valve problem and the Trans Go Pressure Valve Kit,£50.00 shipped over from U.S.A. and fitted it myself,needless to say I'm very pleased.
Enjoy your cars,
Thanks,
Andy
Lower Valve Body Removed

Old Pressure Valve

New Pressure Valve

Last edited by A.J.P; 02-10-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
So they only replaced the broken a drum? Is that what you told them to do? The amount of times I have explained what kill these trannies and that still happens...

The A drum isn't weak. The A drum can withstand a lot of abuse. It can't withstand pressure peaks from a worn main pressure valve.

If you're unlucky, your A drum is cracked again.
They rebuilt the whole body & new drum. Apparently with the same flawed pressure valve. Work's under warranty, no worries there. If the car sits for a day or 2 the first shift into drive is harsh. I'm calling them Monday morning.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

They rebuilt the whole body & new drum. Apparently with the same flawed pressure valve. Work's under warranty, no worries there. If the car sits for a day or 2 the first shift into drive is harsh. I'm calling them Monday morning.
Is that a qualified or better said skills workshop with knowledge regarding the 5hp24? A friend just recently had his 5hp24 replaced by Jaguar. I told him to replace the valve body at the same time OR get a trans go valve fitted.

Local Jaguar workshop fitted a brand new or refurbished transmission WITHOUT the valve body and used his valve body incl. old valve. It didn't even last 2000 km. The A drum fractured and he is fighting with his solicitor to get the workshop to get it repaired under warranty.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I had the valve replaced in my gearbox straight away when I bought my current XJ, having had my last one die because of the blown box I was dubious about trusting another 5HP24 box. However all seems well except for the irritating issue of the fluid level not being quite right and there being no easy or straight forward way to fill it. I was disappointed to see the dipstick thread didn't yield a positive result. I was thinking of looking into seeing if it was possible to fit some sort of adaptor to the transmission cooling line to enable it to be filled it from there. I read that's what some owners did on other brands of car.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member

In theory, manufacturing one ot the filler pipes with a dip stick shouldn't be that hard.

ZF says, the tranny is correctly filled, when the fluid level is in line with the bottom of the fill hole. So if a dip stick was fitted, the tube should sit a little lower so you can get a reading somehow...

Last edited by Daim; 02-12-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Update

Took the car out of sport mode & kept it in the heated garage the last 2 days, resulting in zero hard shifts. Now my "hard shift" is not the hunting for gears w/ higher RPM or the stall & bang into gear type. Mine was just a small jerk going from reverse into drive on my initial backing out the drive-way.

I spoke w/ the shop that did the trans. work I was assured the valve & valve body were both rebuilt & replaced along w/ the drum. Then I got the usual "cold temp.s change the trans. fluids viscosity on start ups etc." I assured them that the car's never done that before & it's storage conditions haven't changed. They said that old fluid was so bad/shot that it's consistency never changed despite temp.s lol ?! I was then told maybe there was a electrical flaw w/ the setting in sport mode as I never ran the car in that mode until after the work. Not sure about that either, so I am going to put it back in the shop. Have them do another thorough look over as it's under warranty etc.

Last edited by King Charles; 02-13-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member

Update #2

Took car to shop @ 9 am, got a call to pick it up @ 5 pm. Oil's @ proper level w/ no leaks,the shift points in "sport" mode were off, they reset the computer & it tested to specs. I usually deal with the master technician/owner there, but I missed him today.

This is my third X308 & this is the 1st time I've ever had "cold transmission fluid" issues. So not quite sure I'm buying that premise.

If it resurfaces the car will be back in the shop as there is plenty of mileage & time left on the warranty. Even if they have to drop the valve body & double check the valve. I parked the car back outdoors w/ temp. in the low 40's FH. I will see what the next start brings.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

After giving the car the wellies, I got a 'little' smoke on a cold start...

I will have to keep an eye out for this...

Old 02-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Daim , white smoke currently an issue with with this same engine :

Yours might be cold soak related .

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-196623/

Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Junkyard had an x308 XJR come in a few days ago (happens maybe once a year, so need to make the best of it) so I got a bunch of goodies off of that. LH taillight, completely intact full load breather, cruise control vacuum line, heater control valve, aux heater pump, and about a half dozen good XJR lugnuts - those things are worth their weight in gold.

If anyone is relatively nearby and needs it, the car has a full set of 5 B+ condition Pentas on it as of yesterday at LKQ Jessup.

The junkyard car also had some authentic Ray-Bans in the glasses holder, so I've got some nice driving glasses now

Old 02-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

How did the driver seat look?

Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Daim , white smoke currently an issue with with this same engine :

Yours might be cold soak related .

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-196623/
What do you mean with cold soak? I only get that amount if smoke if I really hammer it and park it up hot. In the video the engine is not at full temperature (satt for about 30 mins).

I'll keep an eye on it

Old 02-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
Junkyard had an x308 XJR come in a few days ago (happens maybe once a year, so need to make the best of it) so I got a bunch of goodies off of that. LH taillight, completely intact full load breather, cruise control vacuum line, heater control valve, aux heater pump, and about a half dozen good XJR lugnuts - those things are worth their weight in gold.

If anyone is relatively nearby and needs it, the car has a full set of 5 B+ condition Pentas on it as of yesterday at LKQ Jessup.

The junkyard car also had some authentic Ray-Bans in the glasses holder, so I've got some nice driving glasses now
Did it have heated rear seats? I'm trying to find a wiring harness for that aspect and the only place it seems I'll find one is the USA.

Ray Bans are the best, I've got a pair for every car

Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,089 Posts

By cold soak it's the very cold items that lose there springy nature and shrink and lose their seal like o- rings .

Old 02-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Did it have heated rear seats? I'm trying to find a wiring harness for that aspect and the only place it seems I'll find one is the USA.

Ray Bans are the best, I've got a pair for every car
Don't think so, it didn't have the rear seat heaters control panel so it probably doesn't have the harness (same as in my car, the XJR's only got heated rear as standard in 00). I'm assuming you need the harness going between the button panel and the seats themselves? I can keep an eye out for one if I see it, that's a cheap and easy part to extract, I'll try to grab it in the future if I'm there for parts off another car.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
I'm assuming you need the harness going between the button panel and the seats themselves? I can keep an eye out for one if I see it, that's a cheap and easy part to extract, I'll try to grab it in the future if I'm there for parts off another car.
The harness part number is LNF3526BA and it plugs into sockets already fitted onto the cabin wiring loom. In theory all I need to activate the feature is the harness, the two relays, the switch panel and the heating elements for the seats. I could use any elements as I've got the appropriate connector plugs in my spares. It's relatively easy to get to because all the needs undoing is the seat base which would expose the wiring loom.

The bitch is I actually had the loom once, I bought it from a seller in the USA for my previous XJ. I'd fitted a Daimler Super V8 interior but the seller had neglected to include the loom. I sold the interior and gave the loom away with it, and now I'm kicking myself over it. I'd promised myself I wouldn't try to fit heated seats in the rear of this car, but my need to tinker has got the better of me.

If you or anyone else in the USA spots what I need then please get in touch. I've tried searching US ebay, but I'm unsure what the term you guys use for cars being broken for spare parts.

Thanks,
S.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

Update #2

Took car to shop @ 9 am, got a call to pick it up @ 5 pm. Oil's @ proper level w/ no leaks,the shift points in "sport" mode were off, they reset the computer & it tested to specs. I usually deal with the master technician/owner there, but I missed him today.

This is my third X308 & this is the 1st time I've ever had "cold transmission fluid" issues. So not quite sure I'm buying that premise.

If it resurfaces the car will be back in the shop as there is plenty of mileage & time left on the warranty. Even if they have to drop the valve body & double check the valve. I parked the car back outdoors w/ temp. in the low 40's FH. I will see what the next start brings.
Update #3

Car's been parked outdoors w/ an average low temp @ around 55° FH, no rough shifts. Maybe there is merit to the cold temp affecting the fluid explanation. I really trust this company's work, they are a small family owned operation but 9 out of 10 people I asked about working on a ZF transmission, all pointed to this shop.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yesterday I gave the car a nice wash to get the winter grime off, then followed it up with a coat of aqua wax. I also took the time to clean the tail pipe finishers to get them back to being shiny and chrome (to ensure I reach Valhalla! ). She looked so good I decided to take her to work today, I love driving that car.
She'll be making a trip back to Coventry next week, I'm looking forward to that.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?