XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Yet another night where I thought I might have made progress towards the eventual fixing of all the little things, and all I did was go backwards...

I decided I needed to finally replace the O2 sensor to rid myself of the P1646 code I was getting, as the only two codes I had were a P1000, and P1646 after my last. I managed to replace it, and thought that was well.

I also noticed that I had the connector to the brake fluid reservoir unplugged. Maybe I forgot to plug that back in when I replaced the booster, maybe that's why I've been getting the Low Brake Fluid message? Ok, plug that in, maybe that fixes that.

Also while at it, decided to spray and brush out any dirt from the TPPS on the TB to see if maybe, MAYBE I can get lucky and that will stave off the 1121 common issue that is sure to creep up on me more as the weather stays hotter, at least until I can get a rebuild. Zip-tied the ends of the vacuum line that went to the... bypass valve, the one that comes off the supercharger and down to a near the underside of the TB on the passenger side. Anyway that hose had broken and I had replaced it but noticed it had popped off the end. So I tied those up, and figured that solves THAT issue too.

All in all, sounded like progress, right?

Start the car, figure ok, going to clear the codes right off, and then see...

P1000, P1646, P0340, P0341 all light up instantly. Now, I haven't done a hard reset (a lot in the trunk right now), and I did this all with a semi-warm engine which hasn't gone through any cycles. But to say disheartened, would be an accurate statement. Now, the O2 sensor I bought, was following a prior post about someone who had used one from an X-Type and worked fine - so it's possible that they got lucky, and it just really doesn't work that well, and my attempt at saving a couple bucks to see if I got lucky also, just failed.

I'm also a little annoyed at the P0340 and P0341 codes. I can only assume it's related to the half-melted plug that I had posted a picture of in another thread, and was told that it shouldn't matter for my engine either way. Color me skeptical now, since that's the only thing I can see that a) is even in the region I was working on and b) certainly looks like it is in horrible shape. And since I believe the passenger side on a US XJR is considered Bank A, and seems like it would be in an appropriate location for a camshaft sensor... maybe? In either case, I taped the wires up, keeping them separate so they can't touch or cross, and.. well to be honest at that point, I just closed the hood and came inside.
Yup a hard reset and MAF clean would be the next step and see what's actually wrong - a lot of codes hang around until the car is driven - the X type O2 fix usually works, maybe a sluggish heater. (and semi warm engine)
With the CMPS - see if you can locate another connector and replace the fragged one, I haven't seen the picture of yours but it sounds like the fault is that with no signal.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

I've replaced the MAF already, and cleaned both it, and my old one before hand. The CMPS codes have cleared now that I've sorted that connector out, but I will be replacing it at some point. Unfortunately for me, the yards around here rarely have any X308s anywhere, so it's a matter of finding one somewhere online that isn't outrageous.

As for the 1646 O2 sensor code, my guess is that it's just a matter of it being a pretty cheap X-type sensor I purchased, it very well could be just incorrect, so I'll be ordering a new, actual ZJR unit asap. Still have to track down the Low Brake Fluid light cause, but that's been more an annoyance than anything, since the brakes do work, even though I think I'm in great need of another bleeding session.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

I replaced the upstream O2 sensors in my XJR with these in 2016.

The Amazon link won't work! The address is correct but it links through the Jaguarforums site and then goes to Walmart with a more expensive item. Let me try to figure out why...

It will not work, sorry. Even though the address clearly says amazon.com it goes to a Jaguarforums page and then defaults to Walmart. Has jaguarforums banned links to Amazon?

Search on Amazon using "Bosch 15627 Oxygen Sensor, OE Fitment (Jaguar)". They are about $86 each with free shipping (with prime).

Last edited by harvest14; 06-01-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts
Old 06-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Yes! That is character for character the same address I entered. Every time I tested the link though it cycled through another forum address and then to the same item at Walmart.

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by harvest14
I replaced the upstream O2 sensors in my XJR with these in 2016.

Search on Amazon using "Bosch 15627 Oxygen Sensor, OE Fitment (Jaguar)". They are about $86 each with free shipping (with prime).
That's actually the exact one I ordered just after I posted my last. Looking forward to seeing what ELSE breaks after I fix that lol

Old 06-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Just had a guy "great car , is it for sale ?!" now if he would've asked me this last week ?! As I say thanks & feel proud closing the door, the overhead console falls down , go figure lol.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by King Charles
Just had a guy "great car , is it for sale ?!" now if he would've asked me this last week ?! As I say thanks & feel proud closing the door, the overhead console falls down , go figure lol.
lol I know the feeling. Hopefully in your neck of the woods, you have a better market. I've received many compliments on the car itself, but the only couple times someone asked if I'd sell it, were people looking to score a nice car for next to nothing - they weren't nearly ready to offer an actual value. Not even close to the minimal book value they already have.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:17 AM

And today's failure:

Halfshaft outer u-joint is bad. Seeing as I don't have a press handy, and considering I could buy a used shaft complete for the same price as a ball joint press, I figured I'd just replace the whole thing. Then I could press new joints into the one I remove, to swap the other side. I mean, how hard can it be? Four nuts on the diff side, pull it out.

They. Don't. Budge.

One of the four, I could get an angle with my impact and extensions. Never so much as wiggled. The others, forget it. No amount of angle, wrench, socket, extension, bar combination would even get anything close. And how lucky for me in my confidence that I had already removed the hub nut and brakes (and couldn't get the rotor off either). Which means now, I have to go buy a press and new u-joints anyway, the used shaft I have on my floor is worthless to me, and I'm just getting farther behind. Or, I spend hundreds of dollars at whatever shop I can even find that I would remotely trust, all so they can replace a 20 dollar part.

Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe my feelings about this car right now... Oh, and I did verify that the Upstream X-Type O2 sensor I bought, wasn't what was delivered. Explains why that didn't fix anything. Yes, right now is a bad time for me to know that this thing is fully insured, complete with gap coverage...

Old 06-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default check this .. seal at end of brake booster vacuum line

Many of us owning Jag x308 series cars should check for leaks at brake booster vacuum line connection into throttle body adapter.
This large vacuum line frequently will have leaks, especially if your car has high mileage or has had cooling system problems. Not easily noticed. Vacuum line is large and connects beneath throttle body. This vacuum line is only held pressed to a rubber "o" ring within the throttle body adapter to intake manifold. Hot engine = loss of flexibility in rubber seal at tube end.
if you have a leak... only available part is shown in s-type & x-type parts catalogs (x200 & X400). C2S15816 vacuum line conector kit, consists of 2 pieces & 3 parts. "o" ring is principal part needed. However, "o" ring necessary is found within press-on brass bushing. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Ready to go now

Old 06-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Ready to go now

That is sad.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

My front shocks/dampers arrived today, so I fitted them this afternoon. OEM Bilstein comfort shocks.

I ordered them as a full front/rear set for $451.00 on E-bay, but only the fronts have arrived so far.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Jaguar-...IAAOSw1XNZpTLP

Easy to fit, I thought I could get away without removing the upper shock mount plates, but it is much easier/essential that you remove them, then the damper units just drop out, etc.

I don't know the age of the old ones, I am assuming they are the originals, they look and tested just fine, but the new ones do seem to give a better ride...........or maybe it's just physiological,............... but at least I now know the front shocks are new!

The rear ones should arrive next week sometime, a bit more work than the fronts to install!

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Carnival Kid ,

Thanks for the video link on the shocks .

I had to steal your smiley GIF

If your have a open wheel design the have imitation Brembo painted caliper covers and can be seen on display at O'Reily's stores , someone on this forum added real bolt heads to look more authentic .

https://www.calipercovers.com/?gclid...SAAEgIUuvD_BwE

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-02-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Carnival Kid ,

Thanks for the video link on the shocks .
Absolutely, it was this video that impelled me to address the rear shocks, there was no way I would have gone for the rear axle removal method, but the "cheat" method looks very doable. So glad I found the video and could share it.

Carnival Kid ,
I had to steal your smiley GIF
Steal away!

Carnival Kid ,
If your have a open wheel design the have imitation Brembo painted caliper covers and can be seen on display at O'Reily's stores , someone on this forum added real bolt heads to look more authentic .
Don't have an open wheel design. Had a 2003 Corvette and spent a lot of time/money on special chrome wheels/upgraded painted calipers. I like the "subtle" concealed wheel design of the X3008 VDP, a lot less hassle.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Ready to go now

Been there, done that.....

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-dscf4097.jpg  
Old 06-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe my feelings about this car right now... Oh, and I did verify that the Upstream X-Type O2 sensor I bought, wasn't what was delivered. Explains why that didn't fix anything. Yes, right now is a bad time for me to know that this thing is fully insured, complete with gap coverage...
I know that emotion and I'm flushed with it right now.

New alternator, front upper shock mounts, and full wheelset refurbish have just become priorities, hurrah!

The thing is once it's done we're back in cars that rock.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
I know that emotion and I'm flushed with it right now.

New alternator, front upper shock mounts, and full wheelset refurbish have just become priorities, hurrah!

The thing is once it's done we're back in cars that rock.
I dunno, at it's age and mileage, lately it feels like once it's done, it's something else that needs to be!

Old 06-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Just a follow-up to my earlier post where I fitted new front shocks yesterday. After a extended drive this morning it is very obvious that the new shocks have made a difference, the ride is "smoother" and has a somehow more "solid" feel. Can't wait to replace the rear shocks now.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

And today's failure:

Halfshaft outer u-joint is bad. Seeing as I don't have a press handy, and considering I could buy a used shaft complete for the same price as a ball joint press, I figured I'd just replace the whole thing. Then I could press new joints into the one I remove, to swap the other side. I mean, how hard can it be? Four nuts on the diff side, pull it out.

They. Don't. Budge.

One of the four, I could get an angle with my impact and extensions. Never so much as wiggled. The others, forget it. No amount of angle, wrench, socket, extension, bar combination would even get anything close. And how lucky for me in my confidence that I had already removed the hub nut and brakes (and couldn't get the rotor off either). Which means now, I have to go buy a press and new u-joints anyway, the used shaft I have on my floor is worthless to me, and I'm just getting farther behind. Or, I spend hundreds of dollars at whatever shop I can even find that I would remotely trust, all so they can replace a 20 dollar part.
Went through the same thing when I first did my diff output shafts, busted knuckles quite a few times doing that... The method I found (after plenty of penetrating oil and heat) was to rotate the shaft so that the nut you are trying to free is in the most exposed position (think it was to where the nut you are wrenching in is at about 1 or 2 oclock), put a wrench on the back of the stud to "brace" the stud and shaft from rotating (so angle it to stop against some piece of subframe), and about 2.5 feet worth of extensions connected to a big f breaker bar. Also those are one of the few nuts that are SAE, think they are 11/16? Use a 6 point ofc, don't want to stick a 12pt 16mm socket on there and round them out. It's a real tight fit to get sockets in there, even at the ideal angle, the U joints tend to get in the way. I would free each one up by about a full turn then move onto the next (rotate halfshaft 90deg to put the nut in the same position), if you back them off too far it gets in the way of shaft rotation.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?