XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

Installed my my morimoto led pilot lights and morimoto hid fogs. Not great pics but oh well. And yes, I have a nice front bumper for the car, haven't installed it. Light isn't scattered all that bad in my opinion. The x308 has some of the best optics for a non projector setup.

Last edited by Z07Brandon; 07-15-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 376 Posts

Did my first long term oil change after about 3.5k mi of driving. Nothing too interesting, but I didn't see any metal particulates in the oil (the previous 500mi flush change had a lot of silvery metallic dust) so that's a very good sign. Started on parts orders to do rear shocks, spring seats, and rear A frame bushings. Hopefully that solves the rear low ride height, and the damn inconsistent pulling to the side that I can't solve...

Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Gave a wash then pissed off the neighbors

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 295 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by greverrr
Gave a wash then pissed off the neighbors
https://www.youtube.com/embed/844sHGeTot8
What emblem did you use for 'XJR' on the rear?

The X308 emblem has the key hole on the left of it.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Looks like the emblem off of an aluminum body X JR

Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon
Installed my my morimoto led pilot lights and morimoto hid fogs. Not great pics but oh well
Yeah, nice.
I have the same set-up, although running HID also on the dipped ones in between checks.
Absolutely love it, whatever the critics say, it just gives sooo much more visibility than halogens.
And no, they don't blind any other drivers, my cut off is the exact same as using super whites.

Z07Brandon (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Had a coolant leak from the infamous heater hoses under the supercharger. I could have prevented this by listening to the advice on here when I first had the supercharger off.

Just some advice: replace what can break if you're going to do work with the supercharger off.

Old hoses + heat = doom

A P.I.T.A. to get the supercharger off and on.

Like to drive it, but not work on it. But I have to work on it to drive it...It's a paradox

Z07Brandon (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member

What did I do to her? Not much ...
Bought a coffee, parked her at the beach, and starred at her for an hour while the interior dye was (hopefully) drying out, still smelling unpleasantly.
Easiest job ever .

Last edited by ericjansen; 07-18-2018 at 10:21 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Carnival Kid (07-18-2018), chris-jag (07-20-2018), dhardison (07-25-2018), Lady Penelope (07-19-2018), XJDanny (07-18-2018), Z07Brandon (07-19-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
What did I do to her? Not much ...
Bought a coffee, parked her at the beach, and starred at her for an hour while the interior dye was (hopefully) drying out, still smelling unpleasantly.
Those captain's seats are looking nice!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Replaced the gas cap on the slim chance it would clear my P0455. And nope, never is easy. Time to start the long and tedious process of figuring this one out...

Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Yeah, nice.
I have the same set-up, although running HID also on the dipped ones in between checks.
Absolutely love it, whatever the critics say, it just gives sooo much more visibility than halogens.
And no, they don't blind any other drivers, my cut off is the exact same as using super whites.
Nice to hear! I get many compliments from other people saying the look with the pilot lights and fogs on at the same is perfect. Couldn't agree more. Super clean interior on your car, btw.

Will I have any negative effects to putting xjr100 wheels on my Sport? Since they are 19s, will they hurt the trans, etc?

Old 07-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Fixed a dangerous issue!

As most know I did a lot to the front and rear suspensions shortly after I got the car, unfortunately, I never checked the Vee mounts when I did the front. Eventually I decided it was time to check, I found this...

frightened the life out of me when I found it, the opposite side wasn't that much better either!
So, I decided aftermarket/cheap parts was the wrong way to go (past experience with rubbish brake discs) and ordered some parts after searching for the best prices. The Vee mounts and rear sub-frame mounts arrived first, made sure I got the orientation right, then had the rear ones pressed into the sub-frame.

The rest of the parts arrived and I set to. Those that know me also know I'm disabled, so can only do what I understand, and only when I am able. Finished one side and here's the results...

The discs aren't original, they're Padgit discs and pads. The calipers are new (I just like the caliper red) as are the top and bottom ball joints and bushes. I had the rest of the original parts sand-blasted back to bare metal, etch primed and then painted, including the sub-frame. Quite pleased with the turnout

Start the near-side tomorrow all being well.
Paul

The following 3 users liked this post by euphonium01:
Carnival Kid (07-19-2018), chris-jag (07-20-2018), rocklandjag (07-21-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Z07Brandon
Will I have any negative effects to putting xjr100 wheels on my Sport? Since they are 19s, will they hurt the trans, etc?
The negative effects will basically be limited to your wallet, and a bit harsher ride (coming from 18").
I presume they are the original Jaguar's, you will be fine on fitting, just find the correct size/dimension of tires.

There is always this talk about heavier wheels, more un-sprung weight, shorter suspension life etc,
I guess it is a factor, but suspension is something we have to stay alert to with our cars anyway.
It will look great for sure.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by euphonium01
As most know I did a lot to the front and rear suspensions
Those pics look stunning, Paul!
Glad to see the progress, means you got good days, respect!

Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 PM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks Eric, good to be back working on the old girl again. I was pleased at how it turned out, though I suffered the old 'buy cheap buy twice' scenario from the first time round doing the work under the car. Being too eager and too enthusiastic to get on with it cost me time, effort, and money

Never mind, the experience learned will help with future repairs/upgrades. Just hoping now that the summer lasts long enough to get the pesky paint-work sorted, doing most of the prep work myself, then it's off to a quality auto refinisher.

Will post a few more pics of the other side when it's done tomorrow, though I have to have the steering geometry laser setup done to get the best out of my work!
Paul.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Vee mount nightmare

Originally Posted by euphonium01
As most know I did a lot to the front and rear suspensions shortly after I got the car, unfortunately, I never checked the Vee mounts when I did the front. Eventually I decided it was time to check, I found this...

frightened the life out of me when I found it, the opposite side wasn't that much better either!
So, I decided aftermarket/cheap parts was the wrong way to go (past experience with rubbish brake discs) and ordered some parts after searching for the best prices. The Vee mounts and rear sub-frame mounts arrived first, made sure I got the orientation right, then had the rear ones pressed into the sub-frame.

The rest of the parts arrived and I set to. Those that know me also know I'm disabled, so can only do what I understand, and only when I am able. Finished one side and here's the results...

The discs aren't original, they're Padgit discs and pads. The calipers are new (I just like the caliper red) as are the top and bottom ball joints and bushes. I had the rest of the original parts sand-blasted back to bare metal, etch primed and then painted, including the sub-frame. Quite pleased with the turnout

Start the near-side tomorrow all being well.
Paul
Paul, did you have any problem with lining up the vee mount with the holes in the subframe? I had this problem on both sides. Thankfully had a drill attachment that worked.
Swapping out the torx for normal bolts also was a bit more difficult because of the lack of space.

Vee mount holes don't line up!

Old 07-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by chris-jag
Paul, did you have any problem with lining up the vee mount with the holes in the subframe? I had this problem on both sides. Thankfully had a drill attachment that worked.
Swapping out the torx for normal bolts also was a bit more difficult because of the lack of space.
Vee mount holes don't line up!
Strange. When I did mine, and I did mine without dropping the whole frame also, it seemed to line up alright. I mean it was tight to get things in place, and whatnot, but I didn't have to modify them in any way.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
What emblem did you use for 'XJR' on the rear?

The X308 emblem has the key hole on the left of it.
The entire trunk is shaved including upper molding, key hole, and the indentations/provisions for the oem x308 badges. The badge is from a X358 XJR

Last edited by greverrr; 07-21-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 07-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Received parts (I may be OCD regarding maintenance)

I haven't "done" anything to my car yet today but I did get parts in the mail.

I have an original MB filter, gasket and electrical sleeve (and washers) to do my 722.6 transmission service and today I received 12 Liters of 236.10 spec fluid made in Germany. Here's the "maybe he's OCD" part...

History:
I have a binder from the previous owner covering service for the 7 years he owned the car. With regard to the transmission he had a fluid, filter, gasket service done at 41,236 miles but it "appears" from the receipt they did a single drain and fill only. At 88,000 miles he had a more comprehensive transmission service done including conductor plate, sleeve, filter, gasket and of course fluid (still may have only been a single drain and fill, unclear from the receipt). I called the shop and ended up speaking to the tech who worked on his car at 88,000 miles. I called to see what fluid they used (forgot to ask how much they changed) and he said they've always used the Valvoline MaxLife product in these transmissions so he had no doubt that is what was used in my car.

The car only has a little over 104,000 miles on it now and I drive it about 4,000 miles per year. To a logical thinker it is NOT due for any transmission work and it seems to shift perfectly fine with no issues. Is there any merit to the fact I am wanting to do a series of drain and fills, changing the filter on the last one? In theory I'd like the 236.10 fluid in there because I read that MaxLife is the thinnest of pretty much all of the fluid options for this car. That doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work fine, or that it needs to be changed, I get that. Is it OCD to do the work at this time? Would it be wiser to simply leave the parts on the shelf for a couple of years and do the service 10,000 miles in the future?

They've changed the way pictures are managed. I didn't mean for the picture to be so large! sorry...

Old 07-21-2018, 03:16 PM

My CAC4610 bearings came in today. In theory, how bad could it go, right? but I have to pick someone up at 10 tonight, so there's a part of me that says if something's going to go wrong, it will, and then I'll be trying to figure out how to get there! Or I just have all day tomorrow instead. I did replace the driver's side front sway link to match the passenger though, so that's something.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?