XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You can get to the latch from the wheel well. Check out this thread (esp. response #18)....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...release-29427/

Old 09-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Well I'm still waiting for my windscreen to be fitted, the company who's supposed to be dealing with this problem are an absolute joke. But because of my insurer I'm stuck with them sadly.

They came Saturday and dismantled the area around the screen, then they realised they hadn't brought a screen seal with them. So they said they'd get one and left my car disassembled. After 3 hours I called and discovered they weren't coming back and were re-booking me for another time. So Monday I had to chase them about it and was told they'd come Friday at 3pm. I explained I couldn't be there because I was at work, but would leave the key with a neighbour which they said was ok. I then get a call today telling me they aren't coming now because I'm leaving my key with a neighbour

So now I've got to wait again until next weekend, when they're supposed to come to my workplace to do the job. Seriously not impressed with this firm. I just hope they do the work properly.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Finally had enough, and ordered a re-manufactured Throttle Body assembly. I'm hoping it at least buys me 6 months of P1121-free driving. It was cheap enough that I justified the difference in cost between it and an ASI rebuild in that I won't have to have the downtime. And it will leave me my original that I can then send out and haev rebuilt at my convenience. Worst case, I resell mine when it's back and recover the costs, provided the replacement holds up. I have enough other things to track down, that next April is the deadline for the car. Either by some miracle this, and whatever else I manage to tackle, clears up the codes enough to pass inspection here again, and then I'll keep driving even after it's paid off - or, it at least gets me TO that point when I replace the car and park it.

I do feel it's getting long in the tooth, on it's last bits. Who knows, maybe this is all it'll take to make it realize that I still enjoy it, and it'll play nice. Track record implies otherwise though!

Old 09-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Verified all vacuum leaks are resolved - JTIS and DTC's ...

After rubber coating the Full Load / Part Load hoses, replacing all the O rings, full propane/butane tests (smoke smoke test) verifying no leaks, and no lean codes on Torque Pro.

Also chased down a full harness pinpoint tests for the O2 sensors and verified the harness/ fuse/relays are functioning - along with the O2 downstream volts properly responding relatively equally, resolving P1647 and P1646 codes after new installing upstream sensors and still having problems .... time will tell,, but all the ground points have been cleaned and verified for continuity.

Note -the JTIS pinpoint test has the connector pins and wire colors wrong and are different from the actual and the electrical schematics too ... good proof reading by the manuals group - just as bad as years ago when owned by British Leyland - some things never change.

Next, time to remove 8 Fuel Injectors for bench cleaning/back flushing after replacing a failed Fuel rail pressure regulator and fuel filter.

One odd thing, on the JTIS 2000 XJ8 DTC, a P1646 code is the Bank 1 Sensor 1 HO2 sensor ( upstream). . In the same JTIS displaying DTC for 2001 XJ8, well that shows Fuel Pump #2 voltage sense fault - I know THAT is wrong as this car has no #2 fuel pump OR relay ......!! So on my 2001 I need to use the DTC's for the 2000 out of the JTIS. Anyone ever observe that? Maybe not unless you have two Jaguars in successive years to work on.

Lots of Jaguar fun today ...

Old 09-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Finally had enough, and ordered a re-manufactured Throttle Body assembly. I'm hoping it at least buys me 6 months of P1121-free driving. It was cheap enough that I justified the difference in cost between it and an ASI rebuild in that I won't have to have the downtime. And it will leave me my original that I can then send out and haev rebuilt at my convenience. Worst case, I resell mine when it's back and recover the costs, provided the replacement holds up. I have enough other things to track down, that next April is the deadline for the car. Either by some miracle this, and whatever else I manage to tackle, clears up the codes enough to pass inspection here again, and then I'll keep driving even after it's paid off - or, it at least gets me TO that point when I replace the car and park it.

I do feel it's getting long in the tooth, on it's last bits. Who knows, maybe this is all it'll take to make it realize that I still enjoy it, and it'll play nice. Track record implies otherwise though!
At least you've got a good "realist" attitude I hope the new TB fixes it for you though!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Go figure, new throttle body arrived today (just ordered it Friday), but gasket won't be here for a few more days. If it wasn't for the already high miles, and already having enough frustrations chasing air leaks all over, I would tempt fate. I guess I'll have a fancy desk ornament for a couple days.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Whilst in the shop for the rear wheel bearing repair of the previous repair lol, I also requested an alignment. Upon inspection they noticed the lower front ball joint boot to be torn, but not affecting it's tension,performance. So looks like I will have the ball joints replaced very soon. I also asked them to perform a coolant pressure test as I lose coolant about every 500 miles. I've checked all the usual suspects & there's nothing visually showing.

I hope the shop is finished within the next 2 days as we are projected to be in the direct path of hurricane Florence later this week. My residence is secure but that shop has several close proximity trees & I would be livid if one made it's way on top of my car lol.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Whilst in the shop for the rear wheel bearing repair of the previous repair lol, I also requested an alignment. Upon inspection they noticed the lower front ball joint boot to be torn, but not affecting it's tension,performance. So looks like I will have the ball joints replaced very soon. I also asked them to perform a coolant pressure test as I lose coolant about every 500 miles. I've checked all the usual suspects & there's nothing visually showing.

I hope the shop is finished within the next 2 days as we are projected to be in the direct path of hurricane Florence later this week. My residence is secure but that shop has several close proximity trees & I would be livid if one made it's way on top of my car lol.
If the BJ’s all all good then it might be an idea to just replace the boots if you can do the job yourself?
If paying to have it done then I suppose replacement is the way to go for the unit.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robman25

If the BJ’s all all good then it might be an idea to just replace the boots if you can do the job yourself?
If paying to have it done then I suppose replacement is the way to go for the unit.

My preliminary search for the boot itself has been unsuccessful, any links to them, thanks.

Edit :
Disregard, found them.

Last edited by King Charles; 09-10-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure what you came up with but here’s one source;
https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/

Old 09-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

With hurricane Florence looming & my car's shop in a low lying area known to flood, I went & picked it up as they were closing until the weather passes. So I guess that resets my repair time back to square 1, alas is life lol.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sold it!!!

Having bought an X350 XJR last month, my X308 went on eBay on Sunday. Reserve was met on Tuesday, meaning the BIN option disappeared.

A chap had already arranged a viewing this afternoon and, after some discussion, offered an envelope of readies which matched my BIN.

This was a surprise as he arrived an hour early and I had the dash in bit as I was removing my old nav system and failing miserably to re-install the factory set.

Fortunately he didn't mind, and the deal was done.

Now to spend the cash on the new Big Cat.

Car park doubles, XJR vs STR

Old 09-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Took it in, planning on having the leaky cam covers resealed and the timing chain tensioners replaced (I thought it had the plastic ones) When they pulled the cam covers, they found, unbeknown to me, that it already had the upgraded metal ones! So I ended up getting new spark plugs and the resealed cam covers.
Right now, it's having the transmission rebuilt, with new a-drum and valve body.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Replaced my throttle body with a re-manufactured one from e-bay. Not ASI - but we'll see how much that comes back to bite me. In the meantime, at least after startup, it seems to be decent enough to work at least better than mine was - I couldn't even idle without it puking all over itself. I also found a disconnected vacuum hose which might be leading to my 0455 code, so it'll be off to the roads in a minute to drive around a while and see what happens.

EDIT: Post drive - caqr drives fine, idles good, no adjustment needed. Still a check gas cap after a while, so must be that line WASN'T the cause, but hey, still needed to be hooked back up right? I do have a slight flat spot though, at full throttle. It's like it's dying out a little. But only when my foot is on the floor. If I just press down just to the point of where it would feel like a kickdown, then it accelerates nice and brisk. Was happening before too, I had hoped it was just a product of the TB going out. Fuel pumps have never been done on this before, so who knows. Maybe that's what's going on, and could also be a culprit of my 0455. But at least I accomplished what I needed to - the car runs smooth, drives fine, and doesn't die out (yet) at idle.

Last edited by CharlzO; 09-15-2018 at 10:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stu 1986 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Finally got my new Windscreen fitted yesterday after waiting since July 20th. The old screen was the original and had weathered badly after 137,000 miles. There were a few chips and scratches as well as the massive crack the led to it finally needing replacement. Getting in the car after the new screen was fitted was great, I guess that was what it was like getting a brand new X308 was like. No wiper outline, no stickers and a bonnet so polished I can shave in the reflection. She looks beautiful. Now I can start looking at the rest of the snag list before the really bad weather comes in.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Finally, after ordering them a year ago, picked up my new sill plate inserts.
Made by a friend here in Taiwan, quality as good as the OEM's, and unique in its Vanden Plas design.
Now need some time to remove the old ones, a pain ...

The following 3 users liked this post by ericjansen:
A.J.P (09-18-2018), Carnival Kid (09-16-2018), neurojag (09-16-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed out the clockspring and upgraded steering wheel.

This weekend my son and I changed out the clockspring to fix the airbag warning light and repaired a few wires that had been cut, then respliced. We also took the opportunity to install a half wood steering wheel.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

A half-wood steering wheel is an excellent upgrade.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

New machined aluminium coil pack covers fitted.

The original plastic ones break habitually and look cheap.

The following users liked this post:
A.J.P (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Fitted the "AMG" blue top shift solenoids into my W5A580 transmission over the weekend

Quite happy with the results so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by Count Iblis:
A.J.P (09-18-2018), chris-jag (09-28-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?