XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown Income
I added seat back picnic trays from a 2001 Vaden Plas.

Beautiful, i plan to add these to my xjr alsp.
Would love to add the daimler captain seats also

Old 10-30-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Top coated my passenger seat refresh, not sure if I'm satisfied w/ the filler route's results, I'll let it dry & decide if I just want to sand, recolor & clear coat.

Flash forward to now 9:45 PM I decide to replace the temp. gauge side of my instrument cluster, which has been out for years now. I replaced the bulbs once before but I gather it's holder was bad as well & finally got around to purchasing another one. I've had this apart before replacing switches,bulbs etc. so no big deal right ?! Well my rechargeable flood light practically explodes into sparks & smoke halfway through the task lol so that's out. Now I find myself w/ the dash apart, mini tactical light in hand err mouth @ times & struggling w/ the overhead lights to finish. I'm also a bit leary as my replacement bulb/holder #LJA4390BA is white everywhere I look, yet mine is black but it fits perfect maybe they just went a different base color in later batches. Oh well we shall see when I get things back hooked up.

Nothing more annoying then losing light in the midst of tedious work.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix07
Beautiful, i plan to add these to my xjr alsp.
Would love to add the daimler captain seats also
Sorry to spoil your dream, but Captains seat will not easily fit in a short wheel base.
I was shocked to see how much taller / thicker / longer they are than the normal rear bench.

With the old bench, my LWB Vanden Plas had quite some legroom in the rear, but with the captains seats, even in the upright position, its is getting a lot more tight.
I don't think they will leave much legroom in a SWB.
Besides, you will need to modify the center console, as it will be too long for a SWB.

The following users liked this post:
A.J.P (11-01-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by King Charles
Top coated my passenger seat refresh, not sure if I'm satisfied w/ the filler route's results, I'll let it dry & decide if I just want to sand, recolor & clear coat.

Flash forward to now 9:45 PM I decide to replace the temp. gauge side of my instrument cluster, which has been out for years now. I replaced the bulbs once before but I gather it's holder was bad as well & finally got around to purchasing another one. I've had this apart before replacing switches,bulbs etc. so no big deal right ?! Well my rechargeable flood light practically explodes into sparks & smoke halfway through the task lol so that's out. Now I find myself w/ the dash apart, mini tactical light in hand err mouth @ times & struggling w/ the overhead lights to finish. I'm also a bit leary as my replacement bulb/holder #LJA4390BA is white everywhere I look, yet mine is black but it fits perfect maybe they just went a different base color in later batches. Oh well we shall see when I get things back hooked up.

Nothing more annoying then losing light in the midst of tedious work.
Well the light works ! But of course it's a bit brighter than the others so now that will bother me lol. Also lost one of the 4 cluster screws trying to reassemble by what equates to candle light lol. I will just abort mission until daylight before I lose more screws(the physical as well as the mental type). Hopefully the hardware store can match the lone screw that now resides somewhere in the dash. Trying to get everything sorted for a 550 mile(each way) NC-NYC road trip Thursday-Sunday Madison Square Garden event.

Update :

She's illuminated & assembled, I'm living risky w/ only 3 cluster screws but hey you only live once lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 10-31-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Vegas_Jag (10-30-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell
This is actually surprisingly useful to me! Mine's the same colour, and I've been contemplating removing my pinstripes, which would make it look like yours. There are still body lines to give accents, and they're just subtle enough to give the right effect
My opinion, pin stripes don't belong on the XJR.

Vegas_Jag (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

555 miles in 7 hours & 51 minutes ended up w/ 20.3 MPG would've been better but I got bogged down in traffic a few times. The ole girl did spectacularly & the valets @ the Marriott are enjoying it lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 10-31-2019 at 04:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
A.J.P (11-01-2019), Vegas_Jag (10-31-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,009 Likes on 613 Posts

I went to my local grocery store and failed to notice that one of the re-bar retainers on the parking space buffer was protruding from the concrete. My car passed over it without any warning noise, but when I reversed out of the parking space all hell broke loose as the rebar tore its way through the front under-valance causing quite a lot of damage.

Thankfully it only damaged the under-valance and didn't damage any part of the front bumper. I have ordered a replacement valance, and did talk with the store manager about responsibility. He was very conducive and took details and photos and said he would submit a claim, so we will see how that goes.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Sorry to spoil your dream, but Captains seat will not easily fit in a short wheel base.
I was shocked to see how much taller / thicker / longer they are than the normal rear bench.

With the old bench, my LWB Vanden Plas had quite some legroom in the rear, but with the captains seats, even in the upright position, its is getting a lot more tight.
I don't think they will leave much legroom in a SWB.
Besides, you will need to modify the center console, as it will be too long for a SWB.

Thanks, i guess that idea is off so... lol
With the new painting I decided to eliminate the original factory pinstripes on the car also.

A.J.P (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts

Ouch.... sorry to here about that CK

Old 11-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

CK did the exact thing w/ my previous LWB & it caught the washer fluid container as well lol.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cliveb
Ouch.... sorry to here about that CK
Originally Posted by King Charles
CK did the exact thing w/ my previous LWB & it caught the washer fluid container as well lol.
Yeah really sucks, but at least there was no damage to any other part of the car, so a new valance should be the only "repair'. Fortunately they are not expensive as URO does a replacement for around $90 bucks. A bit of a pain having to crawl under there to remove the old one and install a replacement, but could have been worse.

I don't hold out much hope for the store willingly parting with some compensation, but you never know.

Vegas_Jag (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

That does suck, my valence was missing, found one at the yard for $10.

Here's one for cheap!

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...-05481514.html

Old 11-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vegas_Jag
That does suck, my valence was missing, found one at the yard for $10.

Here's one for cheap!
That is a good price. They charge tax, and shipping which brings it up to $80.00, but it is still a good price.

I have already ordered a new one at $92.73 with free shipping so did pay a little more.

It's a good thing that there are aftermarket examples because the OEM Jag one is no longer available, and if it was I'm sure it would be a small fortune.

Vegas_Jag (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I drove over to the dealer in Fort Worth to purchase a spare key for my '02 XJR. $125 for the key,$175 to program...plus tax and an $18 shop fee (huh?). Couldn't find a local independent shop.

While I was waiting I asked the service manager what they'd charge to change the transmission fluid (38K miles). He said Jaguar recommends against it and their dealership won't do it (no shop manual procedure). Then I walked around the new car show room, which is covered with huge photos of old Jaguar sports cars from the glory days. When I asked the Sales Manager if he'd like to park my non-leaking E-type in their show room as a conversation piece (with a small for sale sign attached), his response was a clipped, NO.

I picked up my new key and drove home...never to return.

Last edited by 64etype; 11-01-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Caught a valet taking a selfie w/ my car this evening lol.

Patioboater (11-08-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Finally got around to checking a few things that I've been putting off for months now on my car.

Getting a howling noise at 30/57mph after car is warmed. Crawled around underneath and hooked up my chassis ears to a few points (bell housing, top of engine, rear of transmission, PS rack) to see if I could sort anything out. Got the noise but none of the mics picked it up. All I got was a hell of a racket from the bell housing and motor top mics, just due to the way the mics pick up noise. They're very sensitive to high freq and rattles but not so much mid freqs. Guess I'll have to admit defeat and pay the local indy to try and diagnose it.

Next issue to start diagnosing, getting an inconsistent no-start that's been going for a while. Every now and then, I'll turn the key to ignition and engine won't crank. No error codes, no flashing security light to show lockout, just no crank. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to start it, sometimes it will fire on the first try for a week with no issues. Well to diagnose this, I wired a LED to the start relay in the false bulkhead, just to rule out the starter's internal relay. If the LED lit and there was no cranking, it was likely the starter's internal relay going bad. if the LED didn't light when the key was turned to ign, I got something weird going on in the computer modules. First attempt to start after that, had the no-start, LED did not light. Tried to start again, starter turns and LED lights up. Damn. Was really hoping it was the starter motor internal relay, now I have to start working backwards through all the modules and sensors involved in allowing starting.

Also recently started getting the dreaded ABS/TRAC/ASC not available error. Occasionally goes away only to come back in a drive or two. Happened driving in some heavy rain, checked the sensors and they were clean. Will have to try pulling the module itself and checking for dry solder, my OBD reader doesn't seem to read error codes from that unit so I'm diagnosing blind on this one.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Re-painted and installed several parts, including those missing!

*Front Bumper
*Fender
*Splash Guard
*Fender Liner

Took a full day to remove and install parts, exterior finally complete, felt good I did it alone, wasn't easy.
Glad with the end result!

Carnival Kid (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts

I found these decals in my glove compartment, which I bought maybe 6 months ago, and I forgot I had them.
So I found, what I thought was, a suitable place for them. I believe I got them from ebay and they came with installation instructions which need to be followed to the letter. I didn't. and the "J" fell off before I could apply it and had a devil of a time trying to line it up correctly. You can see in the 2nd photo it's still not spot on, oh well. The 2nd one was a piece of cake after I fully read the instructions....

The following 2 users liked this post by cliveb:
A.J.P (11-05-2019), Carnival Kid (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Great minds think alike, as the saying goes. Looks great Clive, and yes that damned "J" can be a pain, it sticks a little below the other letters, and by the time you realize it it is often too late!

I ordered some of the same decals off eBay and after lots of consideration decided to place mine on the passenger dash (see earlier post 3712 on this thread)

Via forum member neurojag i also found some much smaller decals of the same type, and was going to put them on the rear picnic tables, but then opted for the rear passenger veneered door panels.

The following 2 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
A.J.P (11-05-2019), cliveb (11-03-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

So my replacement front Valance arrived this afternoon. A simple job and only took about 15-20 minutes to install it.

It has an added rubber "deflector" across the middle third of the valance, but otherwise looks identical to the original.

The following 2 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
cliveb (11-04-2019), Vegas_Jag (11-04-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?