XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 04:12 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one with a black leaper on my xjr.
Check Aliexpress for multiple offers.
Greetings, Jan.

The following users liked this post:
chris-jag (07-05-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by neurojag
I have one with a black leaper on my xjr.
Check Aliexpress for multiple offers.
Greetings, Jan.
A bit too loud for me & the direct front dash mount is a detractor in my setting.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:14 PM
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

King Charles
6-24-20 Battery Tender mishap;

Do you leave tender in trunk? I leave an old 1 foot by 1 foot orange microfiber cloth on the unused tender. When I plug it in I leave the orange cloth on top of my steering wheel. Even I can't overlook a large orange cloth on steering wheel! (Yet...)

King Charles (07-01-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

With the coastal NC temps in the mid 90's FH w/ equal humidity I figure it's time to use it to my advantage. Cleaned all leather & now will lather said goods w/ the ever trusty Gliptone conditioner & let it permeate in the closed sauna like environment for hours.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Continued repainting

Had a lot on since I painted the front bumper, but managed to get the Boot Lid (Trunk) finished, bit more polishing and it will be fine.

Doors next I think?
Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by euphonium01:
chris-jag (07-10-2020), ericjansen (07-04-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

Looking good.....very good!

Old 07-04-2020, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

Bought it some minor upgrades.
Mina intake tube. Will be doing something to keep the IAT's lower. Will be using stock air box with BMC filter.
Bought it HID fogs 35w with 5k temp. LED side markers, turn signals and trunk light bulbs.

Tomorrow, going to see if I can diagnose my rich banks codes.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:29 AM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Decided to refurb the vertical link and put in a new front wheel bearing. I like the underside to look as good as the top :-)

Front wheel bearing replace and refurb

Carnival Kid (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Received 112 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chris-jag
Decided to refurb the vertical link and put in a new front wheel bearing. I like the underside to look as good as the top :-)

Front wheel bearing replace and refurb
Looks great!
I too like to clean , polish, and paint the hidden parts nobody else will ever see. I just can't bring myself to complete a service and then reassemble greasy , dirty, rusty or otherwise unsightly parts no matter how obscure.
. Of course this compulsion is also the reason my 98 xjr head,valve ,and chain service is taking forever .

As for what did I do to my x308 today?
. I took the 99 xjr out for the obligatory 4th of July celebration cruise. Burned half a tank of premium just hopping as many freeway on ramps as possible to exercise the supercharger. I had to remove the custom floor mat to make sure the accelerator pedal goes ALL the way to firewall.

chris-jag (07-10-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Developed a spongy brake pedal Friday, no visible leaks @ proper fluid level etc. Booked a mobile company to come flush it this morning. They did so & it's back perfect, tech said there was air in the rear left. Came to my house & $5 cheaper than Jiffy Lube, I deem this a win lol.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by King Charles
Developed a spongy brake pedal Friday, no visible leaks @ proper fluid level etc. Booked a mobile company to come flush it this morning. They did so & it's back perfect, tech said there was air in the rear left. Came to my house & $5 cheaper than Jiffy Lube, I deem this a win lol.
Charles I sincerely hope pedal stays good for you.
I cannot help but wonder. ..
If system was good and sealed then suddenly took air in somewhere? If air can get in fluid can get out. Wonder if you have a weepy caliper seal or other such issue where not a lot of fluid is lost but the small intake of air makes pedal feel spongy?
Hopefully just one of those oddnomilies that's passed. Good deal on the mobile service!

Old 07-07-2020, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR RONN
Charles I sincerely hope pedal stays good for you.
I cannot help but wonder. ..
If system was good and sealed then suddenly took air in somewhere? If air can get in fluid can get out. Wonder if you have a weepy caliper seal or other such issue where not a lot of fluid is lost but the small intake of air makes pedal feel spongy?
Hopefully just one of those oddnomilies that's passed. Good deal on the mobile service!
I think it's a combination of old fluid,never flushed in my 6 year tenure deteriorating & creating air pockets in this heat wave(possibly boiling out). Anyways I'll keep a close eye on it.

Last edited by King Charles; 07-07-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:40 PM

I think it's a combination of old fluid,never flushed in my 6 year tenure deteriorating & creating air pockets in this heat wave(possibly boiling out). Anyways I'll keep a close eye on it.
Well You can't go wrong with basic maintenance and fresh fluids. Always a good place to start.
Your a veteran owner ,I'm sure you know you're car better than anyone. .
I'm a long time tech and fine car aficionado but relatively new Jag owner ( 3 so far in a year, lol) so always curious as to maintenance quirks ,common issues, and individual owner experiences .

Jaguar Forums has been a great resource.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR RONN
Well You can't go wrong with basic maintenance and fresh fluids. Always a good place to start.
Your a veteran owner ,I'm sure you know you're car better than anyone. .
I'm a long time tech and fine car aficionado but relatively new Jag owner ( 3 so far in a year, lol) so always curious as to maintenance quirks ,common issues, and individual owner experiences .

Jaguar Forums has been a great resource.
Yeah my region's been 90-100°+ FH for a week plus, factor in a few long trips w/ heavy stop & go. I'm leaning towards old compromised fluid boiling out. These cars' are awesome once you know the "hot spots" & address them & I've never had an issue that this forum hasn't seen or addressed, it's an invaluable tool for me.

chris-jag (08-09-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 07:11 PM

Yeah my region's been 90-100°+ FH for a week plus, factor in a few long trips w/ heavy stop & go. I'm leaning towards old compromised fluid boiling out. These cars' are awesome once you know the "hot spots" & address them & I've never had an issue that this forum hasn't seen or addressed, it's an invaluable tool for me.
It's been same here in NE ohio. 95f plus

Old 07-09-2020, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

I replaced the sway bar links on my 2001 XJ8 VDP today. I really didn't suspect them of being worn out, in fact I had previously examined them and they looked fine..........but I had had previous experience with my wife's Honda CRV producing a knocking/clonking/clunking sound that I couldn't track down and despite the sway bar links looking fine, they were the culprit(s) and replacing them cured the problem. So despite not having any problems with the sway bar links on my Jag I figured that after 19 years it wouldn't hurt to replace them, and Rock Auto has Delphi replacements at just $15 bucks each, $39 for the pair including tax and shipping.

Replacement is extremely easy, simply jack up the car at the front factory jacking point on the side you intend to do first, and support with a jack stand. Remove the front wheel, and the sway bar link is easily visible and accessible.

To relieve any tension on the sway bar, place a floor jack under the lower front suspension arm, then undo the top link nut, (19mm) remove the bottom link nut (16mm, held with a 13mm bolt) and remove the link. Replace with a new link, using a 17mm open end wrench to hold the upper ball joint stem as you tighten the upper link nut. Torque values for the link nuts are 55ft lbs upper and 34ft lbs lower

Release the pressure on the hydraulic support jack and remove.
Replace the wheel.
Remove the jack stand, and let the car down and remove the other hydraulic jack.

The other side is the identical procedure.

Rock Auto has Delphi links for $15 bucks each.

One of the easiest tasks on your XJ8.

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 07-09-2020 at 03:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
chris-jag (07-10-2020), cliveb (07-10-2020), King Charles (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
I replaced the sway bar links on my 2001 XJ8 VDP today. I really didn't suspect them of being worn out, in fact I had previously examined them and they looked fine..........but I had had previous experience with my wife's Honda CRV producing a knocking/clonking/clunking sound that I couldn't track down and despite the sway bar links looking fine, they were the culprit(s) and replacing them cured the problem. So despite not having any problems with the sway bar links on my Jag I figured that after 19 years it wouldn't hurt to replace them, and Rock Auto has Delphi replacements at just $15 bucks each, $39 for the pair including tax and shipping.

Replacement is extremely easy, simply jack up the car at the front factory jacking point on the side you intend to do first, and support with a jack stand. Remove the front wheel, and the sway bar link is easily visible and accessible.

To relieve any tension on the sway bar, place a floor jack under the lower front suspension arm, then undo the top link nut, (19mm) remove the bottom link nut (16mm, held with a 13mm bolt) and remove the link. Replace with a new link, using a 17mm open end wrench to hold the upper ball joint stem as you tighten the upper link nut. Torque values for the link nuts are 55ft lbs upper and 34ft lbs lower

Release the pressure on the hydraulic support jack and remove.
Replace the wheel.
Remove the jack stand, and let the car down and remove the other hydraulic jack.

The other side is the identical procedure.

Rock Auto has Delphi links for $15 bucks each.

One of the easiest tasks on your XJ8.
awesome step by step with visual aides. Well done

Old 07-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Fixed a Rusty Boot

Not long after I bought my XJR last year, I took a day off work to detail it thoroughly. When I removed the trunk floor and spare, I discovered surface rust under the battery and fuse box, presumably due to a battery leaking in the past but also probably due to a slight trunk leak. Today, I finished the repair I’d started a few nights ago. My steps included removing everything I could, cleaning the surfaces, removing as much of the rust as possible with a brass wire wheel on my drill and a small brass wire brush, treating the surface with a rust converter, cleaning everything again, priming with Rustoleum rusty metal primer, and painting with Rutoleum white satin paint. The only mishap was that I broke off one of the long battery hold-down bolts so I’ll have to drill it out. Otherwise I’m pleased with the final result.

King Charles (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Looks good Gator, excellent job!

Gator8 (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 09:29 PM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks; I remembered not long after posting this that I’d forgotten to reconnect the vent hose. That’s an important step with a trunk
​​​​​​-mounted battery!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?