XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally installed the Quaife QDF5W differential in my XJR and boy what a difference does it make! Before starting any performance upgrades on your XJR start there first. The Quaife is what unlocks the performance upgrades. It gets the power to the ground. Next: Switchable Steering Revision from Racing Green Cars UK.

The following users liked this post:
Platinum XJR (10-26-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Leather Honey COMPLETED...

Just finished detailing out the interior.

The Leather Honey sat all night.

Most of it was absorbed, especially the dimpled leather on all of the seat backs.

The best method for removal that I found was to use a GOOD thick microfiber towel. I pressed down with one hand and pulled the towel with the other, over and over, pulling toward myself.

It took awhile, but not as long as I had feared.

The leather is SOFT!

Also, the creases in the front seat are flush with the rest of the leather. Looks as if the leather soaked up the Leather Honey and swelled.

I finished detailing the interior with a vinyl and leather protectant.

The Leather Honey just sat on the vinyl portion of the seats, so I wiped it off. In the future, I will avoid the vinyl altogether.

I am VERY impressed with Leather Honey.

My next job is to clean and restore the leather in our somewhat neglected GMC Yukon Denali. THAT job is going to take awhile!

Stewart

p.s. I finished off the detail with the windows and a nice leather scent.

For the windows I use Invisible Glass and their Reach and Clean Kit.

The Reach & Clean Kit and the Invisible Glass work very well together. I was skeptical at first about this kit, but it actually works!

For the leather scent, I use Leather Scent from The Chemical Guys.

I had been using Griot's Garage leather scent, but I found this to be as good or better and is a FRACTION of the cost.

The following 3 users liked this post by Platinum XJR:
Badbenz94 (10-24-2013), jaguarcraver (10-30-2013), Porsche407 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Great write-up re: leather cleaning, really enjoyed it and looked at your links. I might be trying the leather honey in the near future for my leather family room furniture! Might even try a spot on the front seat of my XJ8!

I washed and detailed the outside of my car this weekend - why, some might ask? I noticed some brown spots on the lawn and figured we needed rain!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi lads.

Recently I took the bridesmaids to a mates wedding so the r is nice and clean. I had to replace the battery last week as I've had her a month now but was away for 2 weeks so battery was probably already dead.

Got a good deal and it was only $209aud from batteryworld.

And on the way home tonight a golf R tried to cut me off in the merge lane, and he was surprised that he couldn't get in front of the old girl!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum XJR
Just finished detailing out the interior.

The Leather Honey sat all night.

Most of it was absorbed, especially the dimpled leather on all of the seat backs.

The best method for removal that I found was to use a GOOD thick microfiber towel. I pressed down with one hand and pulled the towel with the other, over and over, pulling toward myself.

It took awhile, but not as long as I had feared.

The leather is SOFT!

Also, the creases in the front seat are flush with the rest of the leather. Looks as if the leather soaked up the Leather Honey and swelled.

I finished detailing the interior with a vinyl and leather protectant.

The Leather Honey just sat on the vinyl portion of the seats, so I wiped it off. In the future, I will avoid the vinyl altogether.

I am VERY impressed with Leather Honey.

My next job is to clean and restore the leather in our somewhat neglected GMC Yukon Denali. THAT job is going to take awhile!

Stewart

p.s. I finished off the detail with the windows and a nice leather scent.

For the windows I use Invisible Glass and their Reach and Clean Kit.

The Reach & Clean Kit and the Invisible Glass work very well together. I was skeptical at first about this kit, but it actually works!

For the leather scent, I use Leather Scent from The Chemical Guys.

I had been using Griot's Garage leather scent, but I found this to be as good or better and is a FRACTION of the cost.

Thanks Robert!! What did you use to apply it? Reason I ask is that I have the same color interior as yours(oatmeal) and wouldn't want to get the stuff on the threads or in the perforations so it doesn't collect dirt and get dark.

Thank you again!

Chris

Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Badbenz94
Thanks Robert!! What did you use to apply it? Reason I ask is that I have the same color interior as yours(oatmeal) and wouldn't want to get the stuff on the threads or in the perforations so it doesn't collect dirt and get dark.

Thank you again!

Chris

Hi Chris.

I applied the Leather Honey with a medium sized microfiber wax applicator pad.

I tried a cotton one, and it kept leaving cotton fibers in the stuff.

Leather Honey is THICK and really is a honey like consistency.

Once it is absorbed and the excess removed, it won't collect any dirt or anything. You won't have to worry about the seams and threads. In fact, it will keep everything cleaner. My seats now bead water! They are not sticky or greasy, but have that new leather almost tacky feel to them.

It's good stuff!

I sat in the car on a break today at work. I just sat there and admired how nice the oatmeal leather looks now that it has been treated

HTH

Stewart

p.s. if you miss some of the excess Leather Honey in an area, it won't stain clothing.

It's a lot of work to do this treatment, but it is the best leather treatment I've ever tried.

thelegend0210 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you Stewart!

It's already gotten really cold here in Illinois and maybe too cold for an application right now, may have to wait till spring. The car has been sitting for four years in storage and with everything else I have been doing, I haven't treated the leather yet.

Any ideas until it warms up? I was thinking Zaino until I can use that product?

Thank you again,
Chris

Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Badbenz94
Thank you Stewart!

It's already gotten really cold here in Illinois and maybe too cold for an application right now, may have to wait till spring. The car has been sitting for four years in storage and with everything else I have been doing, I haven't treated the leather yet.

Any ideas until it warms up? I was thinking Zaino until I can use that product?

Thank you again,
Chris
Hey.

If you are not driving the car, I'd say go ahead and clean the leather with Lexol and apply the Leather Honey and let it sit and soak it up.

If you are driving the car, I'd go ahead and just use Lexol (or Zaino) Conditioner until the weather warms up.

Stewart

Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Default Today...

I just finished painting the SUPERCHARGED lettering on the intercoolers bright RED with a paint marker.

Looks really nice.

Applied a final coat and then bumped my head on the hood latch...

again!

Gotta stop doing that!

Stewart

p.s. I am going to paint the V8 logo on the intake manifold SILVER.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Default Today...

I received and installed a replacement center console rear section.

The one in my car had been damaged by a previous owner. Something made small cuts in the top of it.

I found a mint example in Oatmeal on eBay and made an offer. $25.00 shipped and I am a happy guy!

Also received my leather repair kits from an eBay seller in the UK.

I bought a big kit that includes materials to repair cuts and tears, as well as re-dye anything that is AGD in the interior. Also bought an extra amount of AGD dye and a small AGD dye "pen" for small touch-ups.

I already touched up the scratch on the back of the front passenger seat with the small pen and the Oatmeal is a perfect match.

With the rear section of the center console R&R'd and the back of the passenger seat repaired, all I have left to do is repair the tear in the rear seat.

Might get that done this weekend.

Once that repair is done, my interior will look as good as new.

(well, except for the headliner, but that is a project for another day).

I have never had good results with a leather or vinyl repair kit.

The materials in this kit look okay, but I have reservations.

I am a perfectionist. I know I won't like it if the repair isn't near perfect.

I MIGHT wait and have a pro do it.

We shall see.

Stewart

Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Default Freaking AWESOME!

That's right!

This Touch Up Pen is freaking awesome!

The 8" long black scratch mark on the back of the right front seat is...

GONE!

The Oatmeal aka AGD is a perfect match!

Woo hoo!

Stewart

Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Today I removed almost all of my nitrous system.
I am still surprised that I am finding the car still "fast enough" and not continually wanting more.
I am really happy with the car as it runs right now

Platinum XJR (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced the drive belt, changed the oil and purchased a new set of tires. I think I heard a purrr this morning as I started her up.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum XJR
is a pair of metal / enamel Union Jack badges.

These badges are to replace the V8 badges on the B-Pillars.

I don't think the V8 badges reflect the overall quality of the car and I don't care for them.

These metal emblems fit in very well on the polished B-Pillars.

Plus, they match the Union Jack center caps!

Stewart
Hey Stewart,

How well are the badges sticking? The pillar is slightly curved east to west. Did you slightly bend to badge as well? Did you use additional adhesive?

Dan

Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Hiatt
Hey Stewart,

How well are the badges sticking? The pillar is slightly curved east to west. Did you slightly bend to badge as well? Did you use additional adhesive?

Dan

Both sides are different on my car.

My driver's side B pillar was flat, so I just attached the badge.

The passenger side B Pillar is curved, so I added a vertical strip of 3M foam trim tape on each side of the emblem, so the middle of the emblem touches the pillar and the foam tape fills the gaps on each side of the badge.
HTH.

Stewart

Last edited by Platinum XJR; 10-28-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Removed wheels , cleaned and waxed both sides. Going to need to find some new center caps. Broke some of the tabs. Plastic-NUTS!
Dave

Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Finally got around to giving my "garage queen" a bath. Washed, dried, vacuumed, Mother's spray wax shined while drying and replaced the fuse to my electric exhaust cut outs.

She is shining and "roaring" on demand again, lol!
Vectoe

Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Default Today...

I finished cleaning up the D**N Starbucks latte that fell out of the CR***Y cupholder and onto my nice clean passenger seat...

16 ounces of steamed milk, syrup, and coffee.

Who ever designed the cup holders for the X308 should be...

...never mind.

Oh well, the interior is cleaner than ever now!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

after a smoke test,i changed the evap purge valve on my 2000-long in an effort to narrow down the possible sources of my emissions leak after changing gas cap as well. I am hopeful that this will keep the red light from re-appearing after i clear it.

this has to get fixed for good as i can not clear all six codes having to do with releasing emissions controls necessary for inspection

Old 10-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

D. Fites said Removed wheels , cleaned and waxed both sides. Going to need to find some new center caps. Broke some of the tabs. Plastic-NUTS!
Dave
_________________Wheel alignment shop broke the tabs on one of mine: found I could epoxy the tabs back on; still holding.

D. Fite (10-31-2013)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?