XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 09:17 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
First thing I (and probably some others here) look at if I see an engine bay pic, it's a common error.
It seems to run ok with it, but probably does not suck the coolant back up after release in the secondary tank.

On engine temperatures, I live in a (semi)tropical climate, with high temperatures, high humidity, and mostly hills and mountains.
I monitor my engine temps in real time, and they run perfectly at ~95C (200-205F), with a max of 105C (220F) at high loads, up mountain, etc.
Once the fans kick into high gear, you see the temps drop almost immediately.
Just be sure that the cooling system is up to snuff, besides of the usual, particular the thermostat (replace every couple of yrs), and water-pump.
Gotcha. Thanks. The cooling fan(s) work fine as does the thermostat and the rest of the cooling system. It was flushed last year when the tranny was flushed by the previous owner as well.
I would like to drop those temps closer to 190°F. In other vehicles I've replaced the thermostat with one a bit cooler than stock. Most call for a 195° thermostat. I would put a 185° in. Any idea what the thermostat is in these?
I'm not surprised these run a little hotter given the strict emissions standards compared to the US. Someone commented in an older thread that the WOT AFR was waayyy too lean. All the restrictions in the exhaust don't help either. Never seen a vehicle with so many mufflers, resonators, and Cats!
Given the problems with brittle plastic parts in these things, dropping temps a little would be beneficial I would think.
Those are sure cheap ***, flimsy, plastic coolant lines, btw. I'm afraid I'll break them just looking at them!

Maybe the overflow tank leaks and that's why they crossed the lines? I'll have to look into it but thanks for the heads up and the temp info.

What's the best option as far as a service manual complete with electrical for these cars?

Old 08-31-2021, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Had to swerve to avoid hitting a dog whilest making a right turn & hit the curb. Today my rear passenger tire's going flat. Not really big on tire repairs but these tires are only @ about 6K miles on Michelins. Going to inflate her & hit the tire shop about 3 blocks away tomm.
Sidewall damaged, have to replace, dog's cost me $275 thus far, tire should be here Sat.

The following users liked this post:
chris-jag (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

I know your tire damage was caused by hitting the curb, but I've had some strange objects puncture the sidewall of my tires in the past. The broken stiletto heel of a woman's shoe for instance, another time dartboard dart, and another the foot of a sofa, still with its screw in it of course!

Its always frustrating when you have to replace a tire "out of sequence", it throws everything off.

The following 2 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
chris-jag (09-01-2021), King Charles (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
I know your tire damage was caused by hitting the curb, but I've had some strange objects puncture the sidewall of my tires in the past. The broken stiletto heel of a woman's shoe for instance, another time dartboard dart, and another the foot of a sofa, still with its screw in it of course!

Its always frustrating when you have to replace a tire "out of sequence", it throws everything off.

Not to mention I paid close to a $100 more than what I could've gotten if I had time lol. Guy tried to sale me a mismatched Yokohama they had on hand. I just shook my head lol.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

As you probably know, thermostats only regulate the opening of the radiator system, after that it's the system capacity and the fans who are in control.
Of course if you live in a cool part of the world, that works, but in hotter areas, a lower temp thermostat does nothing for the running temperatures.
I just ran a XJ8 back to the south, without a thermostat fitted, and it operated at the exact same temps as with a functional one fitted.

For the hoses, original Jaguar ones (some of yours are clearly not) are flexible when new, they tend to harden up over the years.
They are not so expensive, and make the engine bay looking way better imo.

For all manuals, check the stickies, they are all there, made available by other member's on this forum.

chris-jag (09-03-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,089 Likes on 839 Posts

I know your tire damage was caused by hitting the curb, but I've had some strange objects puncture the sidewall of my tires in the past. The broken stiletto heel of a woman's shoe for instance, another time dartboard dart, and another the foot of a sofa, still with its screw in it of course.
Probably around 2009 when I was a tech at a Toyota dealer, we got a Scion TC towed in with a flat tire. There was about a 8” long screwdriver that went through a factory front tire and rim (cast aluminum) and caused only cosmetic damage to the caliper. I had a photo of it but the iPhone 3G I had back then had a software crash and lost all my texts and photos.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Probably around 2009 when I was a tech at a Toyota dealer, we got a Scion TC towed in with a flat tire. There was about a 8” long screwdriver that went through a factory front tire and rim (cast aluminum) and caused only cosmetic damage to the caliper. I had a photo of it but the iPhone 3G I had back then had a software crash and lost all my texts and photos.
Last year I had a tiny dry wall screw maybe 1 inch but wreaked absolute havoc @ 80 MPH on a rain soaked freeway dog-trailing the rear end lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 09-01-2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Damn Eric.................your underhood, makes my underhood, look dirty!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
chris-jag (09-03-2021), eliotb (09-02-2021), gerardbooth (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:40 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

As you probably know, thermostats only regulate the opening of the radiator system, after that it's the system capacity and the fans who are in control.
Of course if you live in a cool part of the world, that works, but in hotter areas, a lower temp thermostat does nothing for the running temperatures.
I just ran a XJ8 back to the south, without a thermostat fitted, and it operated at the exact same temps as with a functional one fitted.

For the hoses, original Jaguar ones (some of yours are clearly not) are flexible when new, they tend to harden up over the years.
They are not so expensive, and make the engine bay looking way better imo.

For all manuals, check the stickies, they are all there, made available by other member's on this forum.

Yeah, I live in an area with vastly varying temps. As cold as -30°F and as hot as 100°F.
Thanks for the tip on the manuals.
I haven't got around to making my engine bay all shiny new like yours yet but it is pretty clean. It was mainly just dusty.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Mine snapped a while back, just ran small rad tubing, been fine 3 years now ?!

chris-jag (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Damn Eric.................your underhood, makes my underhood, look dirty!!.
We are idiots, aren't we?

chris-jag (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Mine snapped a while back, just ran small rad tubing, been fine 3 years now ?!
The only let down in the engine bay are those 2 hoses running on top of the covers, I even considered to re-route them to clean up the appearance.
Then replacing them for a crude looking hose .... nehhh .... at least prefer the OEM thin ones .... sorry KC .

Old 09-01-2021, 06:20 PM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Now that really did make me laugh!
I've never heard of the like, ever! 😁😁

Old 09-01-2021, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

The only let down in the engine bay are those 2 hoses running on top of the covers, I even considered to re-route them to clean up the appearance.
Then replacing them for a crude looking hose .... nehhh .... at least prefer the OEM thin ones .... sorry KC .
That was an on the fly repair w/ ware readily available from Autozone it just got lost in the shuffle lol. The original snapped as I was wrangling the ABS module out to solder.

Hmm should probably replace both now w/ OEM new,,, go go e-bay ! lol

Old 09-01-2021, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

We are idiots, aren't we?
LOL...mad as hatters!

Old 09-02-2021, 04:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FOB stopped working 2 days after cleaning it. I gathered up both fobs and cleaned them thoroughly, mainly the green crunchy stuff around the switches using alcohol. One, I submerged in a small vial of alcohol for a minute. I let it dry overnight. Now both are fully working again.

I also purchased a pair of Ford clone 315mhz fobs for $6.99 on eBay. I used the programming instructions I found on YouTube to reprogram all 4 fobs and yay...they all work!

The following 2 users liked this post by tnut55:
Carnival Kid (09-02-2021), chris-jag (09-06-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Sidewall damaged, have to replace, dog's cost me $275 thus far, tire should be here Sat.
So it's Saturday 4 pm EST no contact, so I call. It won't be here until Sept. 7th. They blame the holiday lol. I ordered on Tuesday almost a week prior to the holiday. Meanwhile I ordered it on Amazon Prime, $100 cheaper, it will be here tomorrow.

A regular consumer gets tire quicker than a tire shop, go figure lol. Trying to dampen my plans for waterfront gallivanting this weekend I tell ya.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I removed the center console lid, primarily as an investigation to see how to get to the lighter illumination. Fixed both lighters, not that we a smoke but my wife is always charging something.

The lid was in bad shape and those annoying cup holders would not stay latched. I tore it down and found multiple cracks in the plastic pieces. Where I could, I used epoxy putty to build up severe breaks. That stuff can be drilled, sanded and tapped. Other fine cracks were secured with super glue. I reassembled and now that everything is pulled back together tightly, those cup holders stay where they should when not in use.

Old 09-05-2021, 02:19 PM
Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Accident - Not Totaled

Hit and run.

New bonnet.
Head light assembly, driver side.
Right fender reworked.
Front end painted.

With my chariot now having 275,000 miles under her chassis her book valve is nill.

I talked the field underwriter into not totaling her. WHEW!

The following 4 users liked this post by XJRfan:
chris-jag (09-06-2021), ericjansen (09-10-2021), Jhartz (09-06-2021), King Charles (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

New tire mounted/balanced, fresh annual state inspection. She's floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee.

The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
chris-jag (04-24-2022), ericjansen (09-10-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?