XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,089 Likes on 839 Posts

You need to snap that up and sell it on BAT.

The following users liked this post:
markdpeter (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 01:37 PM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

This is from yesterday, But took it for a drive after winter storage. Changed engine oil and stuffed some grease to drive shafts. Summer is ahead, finally.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Pulled the ole girl out of winter hibernation.

The following 3 users liked this post by King Charles:
ericjansen (04-27-2022), Markus x308 3.2 (05-06-2022), Z07Brandon (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 06:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Banar, can I ask a favor? Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the trim rings while looking at it while seated in a driving position? Did they just clip in or do they need to be glued in?
I used instructions to bend the edges a little bit with a screwdriver and absolutely no glue or epoxy was required.

Old 04-27-2022, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Safi
got a E-01 for my Compact Disc Changer, so the prying and lifting didnt work, so i decided to take the whole unit apart, and mission successful, even though i know its going to eventually get stuck again
I fought with E-01 and just stuck cd insertion mechanism last summer for many many hours. With my unit mechanism that pulls and pushes disc from magazine just gets stuck every now and then. Greased every moving points and no affect. I'm guessing that system tilts somewhere where it should not

Old 04-27-2022, 10:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have taken mine apart three times now. It always happens again, so I bought a cable online that allows you to play your phone through the stereo. I ran it through from the CD changer to the inside of the centre console. Now I have a jack inside the console where I can easily plug in my phone and listen to Spotify. You can still use the CD changer too, if you dare! https://www.discountcarstereo.com/aux-jagr.html

Old 05-05-2022, 10:10 PM

Been driving a week now with rubber plates between body rails and front subframe rear bushes. Thought this myself and saw someone here tried out in just one side of the subframe. I clearly have subframe bushes in good condition as there were only little difference. Difference what made front of the car reaction to the road grooves etc is more agressive. Not much at all, but noticable.I'll be taking them off soon. My cars all front support arm bushes are all okay but very soft. Atleast when compared to the more modern basic cars.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by john2008
Cleaning my seat belts. Did you know that clean seat belts in cars should be done frequently? Yes, that’s right. Clean belts are often overlooked when it comes to car care and maintenance but they can become dirty just like any other car part.
Clean belts doesn't just look better. But keeping them clean makes them retract back in better too.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by john2008
Cleaning my seat belts. Did you know that clean seat belts in cars should be done frequently? Yes, that’s right. Clean belts are often overlooked when it comes to car care and maintenance but they can become dirty just like any other car part.
How are you cleaning them? One thing I haven't been able to clean on cars.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

I put oxyclean in a small tub of warm water, pulled out the seatbelt and clipped it with a clothes pin and rested the belt in the warm water for a few hours. The water was nearly black afterwards with a beige belt resting in it.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Regular Wax and shine

I tried some of the ceramic stuff that is on the market.... I am not impressed
Good old tried and true Turtle Wax...and that beautiful Quartz shines like a diamond.
The Duchess loves to look good and she purrs quite nicely when she is detailed well.

King Charles (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question P1000 odb code 98 XJR

I started to back out of garage and the engine died, would not restart. NO CEL! Plugged in ODB2 scanner and got a P1000 code. Code is for an EMC internal error. I replaced the EMC and still have the same error with no CEL. Has anybody got any ideas where to go next?

Old 05-15-2022, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by airtracker
I started to back out of garage and the engine died, would not restart. NO CEL! Plugged in ODB2 scanner and got a P1000 code. Code is for an EMC internal error. I replaced the EMC and still have the same error with no CEL. Has anybody got any ideas where to go next?
P1000 is not an error code pure sang, and does not refer to any component.
Its the Jaguar code that the engine control computer has not completed its emission systems testing, not that it is broken.
The P1000 code will be replaced with a P1111 once the systems are completed.

So you do not have a code related to your problem.

Hard to diagnose from a distance, but start check the obvious first, which is probably fuel.
Can you hear the fuel pump running for some seconds once you turn the key?
Suspect relay, then fuel pump.
Fuel pressure can be checked in the engine bay.

The following 3 users liked this post by ericjansen:
A.J.P (05-16-2022), Jhartz (05-16-2022), Z07Brandon (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Yep.....I had something similar happen while in a CarMax parking lot. I was fortunate enough to have another car there...thus a ride home while they diagnosed and installed a new fuel pump. There was absolutely no indicators up to that point that anything was wrong. If there was one thing I would engineer differently on the Duchess, it would be to have a back up fuel pump...or at least some indicator that the fuel pump was near end of life. The second thing would be to design a panel opening that would allow access to it. In my opinion, the engineering for access to critical systems falls far short or where it could be, however, that too, could be by design. If I wanted to maintain tight control over replacement parts cost and the mechanics pay mechanism, that might be what I would do

RandyS

Old 05-18-2022, 08:19 PM
Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

I am stoked and proud of myself. Wife and I just got back from an evening country drive. Silver, my 2001 xj8 is performing better than ever at 125,832 miles.

I was in restricted performance, check engine light flashing, DTC: specific and general mis fires,, specific and general coils, etc..(Both my jags had these symptoms, must be contagious, the other, Gold 2002 xj8, is still down).

I isolated and replaced the bad coil, new plugs and boots, sea foam throttle body, ran injector cleaner in fuel, clean MAF sensor, replaced fuel filter. It, there after ran great but I still had p1647. I changed O2 sensor, bank 2 upstream, (very hard to get at), no check engine light and running better than ever.

I hope I'm as successful with Gold.

Jeff xj8

Old 05-19-2022, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

There are alternatives.
I bought a bluetooth device that connects my phone to the FM radio. You can select several different frequencies so you can avoid local radio stations which transmit on that channel. The phone plays the songs to the device which transmits an FM signal which is picked up by the radio. It also can play from a micro SD card if you just want to preload a ton of your favorite titles. It has a wireless remote too, which makes it convenient to skip a song you are not in the mood for. Works for me.

My six disk changer still works and is loaded with DVDs that I recorded with various favorite artist. Sometimes I am in the mood for Vangelis and other times I feel like the Beatles or the Moody Blues....maybe Pink Floyd. I never know which one will appeal, but I always seem to find something I like.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:52 AM
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Hello, Is it OK to post the make and model of that device? I've tried a couple in the past with relatively unsatisfactory results....
Thanks, Dave

Old 05-21-2022, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

I’m doing the rear main oil seal and cap seal just above it on my wife’s 00’ XJ8 today. It’s about to hit 68k miles. I did the same thing on my 03’ SV8 last weekend. After 10 years at this A/C’d shop, it’s time to temporarily place my 28 1/2 years as a tech on hold to focus on finish renovating the interior of my house that’s been vacant for 9 1/2 years. I need a break from the field because I’m feeling a little burned out. It’s primarily the 2010+ Jags that are wearing me out and the increasing thoughts of my house on my mind aren’t helping so.... I should be back to wrenching by the first of the year if not sooner.

Old 05-21-2022, 12:30 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Chasing Restricted Performance

I isolated and replaced the bad coil, new plugs and boots, sea foam throttle body, ran injector cleaner in fuel, clean MAF sensor, replaced fuel filter. It, there after ran great but I still had p1647. I changed O2 sensor, bank 2 upstream, (very hard to get at), no check engine light and running better than ever.

I hope I'm as successful with Gold.

Jeff xj8
I wrestled chasing the Restricted Performance on 4 of my XJ's including my 6 and 8's.
I am convinced it is an error in a common program routine shared across all models and years that in my case is always connected to emissions vapor recovery and fuel filling, and after extensive troubleshooting not defective sensors or lines, caps or leaks.

On my 2000 XJ8 I finally resolved the issue by finding the last part number version ECM used for the AJ27 engine, having also tried two other same part number ECMs to flashing the very last update I could find and my again updating all other modules firmware, and I now, touch wood, have not had a Restricted Performance in over 15k miles, same sensors that were suspected of being bad before, currently at 129k miles on the odo.

Just to pinch myself, I hook up my IDS and happily all I see is P1111 on a car that was constantly throwing RP on EVERY drive and left or right too lean codes and nothing else. I am now chasing the same issue on my 2005, but first fixing many Dreaded Previous Mechanic DPM hacks.
I don't recommend changing the ECM before performing all thorough diagnostics and verifying proper sensor functions. After all that it effort it may indeed all in your brain, ECM brain that is of course after you have exhausted all the typical solutions.
​​

Steve SOMERS (05-29-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by David N. Warner
Hello, Is it OK to post the make and model of that device? I've tried a couple in the past with relatively unsatisfactory results....
Thanks, Dave
Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for Car, Wireless FM Radio Transmitter, LIHAN Handsfree Calling & Audio Receiver, MP3 Music Player, QC3.0 & Type-PD USB Car Charger,7 Colors LED Backlit : Electronics Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for Car, Wireless FM Radio Transmitter, LIHAN Handsfree Calling & Audio Receiver, MP3 Music Player, QC3.0 & Type-PD USB Car Charger,7 Colors LED Backlit : Electronics
The one I have is an iClever model, that does not seem to be made any longer. The one posted above is only $17 US and seems to have the same features.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?