XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 872 Likes on 719 Posts
Default rear shocks, finally

I have had these brand new Bilstein rear shocks sitting in the garage since May. Finally took it to the local Independent (Abacus Racing) and had them installed (looked to do this myself, but just too old to break some of those bolts loose).

Cost $450 in labor: two bolts very hard to break loose, old shocks were still usable, but the bushings, top and bottom, were gone as were the top spring retainers. No more clunk and rattle and much improved handling.

That completes all the work I knew I had to get done when I bought the car in April. Replaced shocks and pads all around, upper front shock and sway bar bushings, drive belt and tensioner, water pump, thermostat and housing, hoses, plugs, secondary tensioners, new tires on the rear, AC recharge, air cleaner; monthly cleaning of MAF sensor, throttle plate and bore, Gumout for injectors. Thanks to excellent advise on this forum, Did all the work myself except rear shocks, supra, and tire balancing and alignment. Wife has become a pro at pumping up and holding the brake during bleeding ops. Lots of bonding! Now drive it, enjoy it, and wait to see what breaks. Toying with replacing the headliner (found a guy here who will do it for ~$450).

Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts
Default I installed stainless steel brake lines and slotted and dimpled EBC rotors

I installed stainless steel brake lines and slotted and dimpled EBC rotors.

The brake lines improved my brake pedal feel, but I am still having the "problem" of the pedal sinking a little....maybe I have an internal leak in the master cylinder?

We did bleed the brakes carefully and I am confident there are no bubbles.

The rotors do make some wind like noise when driving, but I think it is worth it for the extra braking. At some later point I am going to fabricate ducts to the rotors.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-stainless-lines.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-rotors.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
I installed stainless steel brake lines and slotted and dimpled EBC rotors.

The brake lines improved my brake pedal feel, but I am still having the "problem" of the pedal sinking a little....maybe I have an internal leak in the master cylinder?

We did bleed the brakes carefully and I am confident there are no bubbles.

The rotors do make some wind like noise when driving, but I think it is worth it for the extra braking. At some later point I am going to fabricate ducts to the rotors.

NICE!

I noticed a very firm pedal when I installed a set of Goodridge G-Stop lines on my old show car.

How loud is the "wind noise". Can you hear it when the windows are up?
Dunno if I would want that...

Cannot wait to see your brake rotor ducts!

I remain here sedately, living vicariously through your modification posts

Stewart

Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum XJR
NICE!

I noticed a very firm pedal when I installed a set of Goodridge G-Stop lines on my old show car.

How loud is the "wind noise". Can you hear it when the windows are up?
Dunno if I would want that...

Cannot wait to see your brake rotor ducts!

I remain here sedately, living vicariously through your modification posts

Stewart
I think the o-rings in my master cylinder are leaking a little and the fluid may be leaking back into the reservoir.

The wind noise is significant enough you can hear it with the windows up, it does detract from the quiet "Jag experience" and I would not do them again for this reason. There is a definite cost to adding these, the extra braking does not come for free. I will not be adding these to my XJ8. If I were to "need" more braking, I think swapping to bigger flat rotors and ducting them would be the better way to go. Not all my mods turn out as I would like.

I'm also thinking about swapping back to my original catalytic converters when smog time comes. Since the nameless cats cannot pass at road speeds in California, I'm rethinking if they are worth the approx 10 hp gain. I'm kind of leaning toward the super stealth approach vs the healthier sounding engine these days. They really do improve the sound of the car though...I have plenty of time to think about it.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 11-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
I think the o-rings in my master cylinder are leaking a little and the fluid may be leaking back into the reservoir.

The wind noise is significant enough you can hear it with the windows up, it does detract from the quiet "Jag experience" and I would not do them again for this reason. There is a definite cost to adding these, the extra braking does not come for free. I will not be adding these to my XJ8. If I were to "need" more braking, I think swapping to bigger flat rotors and ducting them would be the better way to go. Not all my mods turn out as I would like.

I'm also thinking about swapping back to my original catalytic converters when smog time comes. Since the nameless cats cannot pass at road speeds in California, I'm rethinking if they are worth the approx 10 hp gain. I'm kind of leaning toward the super stealth approach vs the healthier sounding engine these days. They really do improve the sound of the car though...I have plenty of time to think about it.

Ahhhh, the California Smog Tests.

I don't miss them a bit!

Stewart

Old 11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Installed New Ultimate Aluminum Racing Pedals

I finally got around to putting these on today.

I had Robert at Ultimate Pedals do a custom insert pocket for the "R" emblem on the dead pedal.

I think it turned out pretty good! I'm pleased with the result.
Vector

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-20130909_181315.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-20131103_173344.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-20131103_173404.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vector
I finally got around to putting these on today.

I had Robert at Ultimate Pedals do a custom insert pocket for the "R" emblem on the dead pedal.

I think it turned out pretty good! I'm pleased with the result.
Vector

That looks REALLY nice!

Stewart

Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Default This week...

Here is what I did this week:

-purchased a complete set of interior wood.

I noticed that some of the wood panels are turning milky. Right now it's just the driver's door wood and the gauge cluster surround. However, I know all the panels are probably going to do this.

-purchased a chrome metal leaper.

I want to see how it looks on the dash. It is a little over 6" long. If it looks good on the dash, I'll install it, and post up some pics.

-Bought a NOS green reversible Jaguar Racing Jacket.

Okay, it's for me, and not the car. It's pretty cool! Can't wait to wear it!

-Ordered the foam for my tool kit idea.

Hope to get this done soon and post up some pics of this compartment utilized.

-ordered a Paramount Performance Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System.

-ordered a Paramount Performance Stainless Steel Mesh Bumper Grille.

These parts look absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to get them and install them!

FINALLY scheduled a pro to fix the tear in my rear lower seat cushion. I tried a kit to fix the tear in the leather, and the glue did not stick. I've NEVER had good luck with any DIY vinyl or leather repair kits. Oh well.

I touched up any and all imperfections in the interior with AGD/Oatmeal dye. Since I spilled an entire Starbucks latte in the passenger seat last week, I went ahead and dyed the lower front cushion. It came out so good, that I went and redyed the entire seating surface on the drivers seat. Man, oh man, do my seats look B E A U T I F U L ! ! ! !

I'll be vacationing in Southern California this week, so I won't get much done on the XJR until I get back.

However, when I do get back, I have a lot to do!

Stewart

Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinum XJR

-purchased a chrome metal leaper.

I want to see how it looks on the dash. It is a little over 6" long. If it looks good on the dash, I'll install it, and post up some pics.

Stewart
A leaper on the dash? Leaping backwards into your lap? I don't know about that, lol.

Get a real OEM tool kit for your Jag, you can find them on British Ebay sometimes, that is where I got mine. They were not installed in cars for the US market.
Vector

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-tool-kit-photo.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Elmo1544 (04-27-2021)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Vector
A leaper on the dash? Leaping backwards into your lap? I don't know about that, lol.

Get a real OEM tool kit for your Jag, you can find them on British Ebay sometimes, that is where I got mine. They were not installed in cars for the US market.
Vector

The Leaper leaps from right to left... lol

I dunno.

I like how my tool kit is working out.

I KNOW I can make better use of the compartment than buying an overpriced marginal tool kit.

Stewart

Last edited by Platinum XJR; 11-04-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Default It's kinda for my car, right?

I ordered this shirt:

From THIS eBay UK Vendor.

Also ordered this decal:

From THIS eBay UK Vendor.

Thought they were pretty cool and relevant.

Stewart

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-fq9vrsr.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-d5hzm4n.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I replaced my front rotors and pads. I went with Akebono pads for the reduced brake dust. Rotors were Centric. $265 total from Tire Rack. 2 hours time. Followed the 'How To' link and all went well. Next up: front shocks and upper bushing, sway bar links and bushings.

Dan
2000 platinum XJR

Old 11-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Pulled the front shocks to replace the lower bushes. Unfortunately it turns out the new bushes I got aren't the same as the old ones, and by the time I found that out the dealer had closed. So now the car's on axle stands till Monday

Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Distraxi
Pulled the front shocks to replace the lower bushes. Unfortunately it turns out the new bushes I got aren't the same as the old ones, and by the time I found that out the dealer had closed. So now the car's on axle stands till Monday
THAT sucks. Just makes you ill when that happens.

Dan
2000 XJR

Old 11-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Turned traction control off, pushed sport mode for tranny, stomped on gas pedal repeatedly, grinned ear to ear

Dan
2000 XJR

Old 11-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hiatt
Turned traction control off, pushed sport mode for tranny, stomped on gas pedal repeatedly, grinned ear to ear
Ask not what you can do for your Jaguar, but what your Jaguar can do for you!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Front screen washers repaired

Hi, My front screen washer jets were spraying less and less water on the front screen since I owned the car. Eventually they stopped working all together. I was thinking clogged tube or furred up jets.....I was thinking I'd have to dismantle and strip out the tube etc...however, a quick look-over and I discovered that the black washer-tube that comes out of the front scuttle panel and into the wiper arm was almost severed, hanging on by a thread. I cut it off, pulled off the wiper arm plastic nut-cover and re-attached the cut end of the tube to the little white tube-joiner under the plastic cover and reassembled the cover onto the wiper arm...job done, took about 2-3 mins...Fully working screen washer jets....Really pleased. Allan

Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 PM

Finally finished blacking out my chrome trim around the windows, installed black/chrome union jack badges where the 'V8' emblems were, removed my rear view mirror to send our for repair, fixed my cup holder so it won't pop open over every other bump, began removing window tint first installed when the car was new.

Dan
2000 platinum XJR

Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Washers

Originally Posted by Maninahat98
Hi, My front screen washer jets were spraying less and less water on the front screen since I owned the car. Eventually they stopped working all together. I was thinking clogged tube or furred up jets.....I was thinking I'd have to dismantle and strip out the tube etc...however, a quick look-over and I discovered that the black washer-tube that comes out of the front scuttle panel and into the wiper arm was almost severed, hanging on by a thread. I cut it off, pulled off the wiper arm plastic nut-cover and re-attached the cut end of the tube to the little white tube-joiner under the plastic cover and reassembled the cover onto the wiper arm...job done, took about 2-3 mins...Fully working screen washer jets....Really pleased. Allan
I have the same problem. The black tube is sheared off at the plastic scuttle. Did you have to remove the front plastic scuttle to gain access to the "white tube joiner"? Thanks for the help.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smtguy
I have the same problem. The black tube is sheared off at the plastic scuttle. Did you have to remove the front plastic scuttle to gain access to the "white tube joiner"? Thanks for the help.
No, the small length of black plastic tube is on the scuttle plastic cover but actually connected to a joint that sticks out of the scuttle top surface. Supporting the BLACK joiner on the scuttle just in case it pushes through....I just pushed the tube back on. The WHITE joiner is on the end of the small black tube that goes from the top of the scuttle into the plastic cover on the wiper arm. Carefully pull the plastic cover off the wiper arm (reveals the nut holding the wiper on....don't undo the nut or anything else!...) the WHITE joiner is inside the wiper arm nut cover......I have since put a new piece of clear pipe in the place of the shorter black pipe as it was a bit too short once cut....too long and the pipe kinks and collapses, too short and it pulls off the wiper arm as it sweeps across the screen, the bottom edge gets further away from the back pipe where it comes out of the scuttle top....I hope this makes sense. Allan

PS - Just read your post again..... is the black joiner that comes out of the scuttle top broken off? Allan

Last edited by Maninahat98; 11-11-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?