XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 06:57 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Post x308 Alternator replacement using D&S Alternator

Update of Post #4590 ...

Well a bit of time has passed since I got my D&S Alternator, mainly due to contracting COVID which sucker punched me even having been vaccinated 3X. I had procrastinated on shot #4 and paid the price with 3 days of a dagger-in-my-throat pain, fever, and 5 days on Paxlovin with side effects. I guess it is a lot better than going into the hospital and not coming out! Oddly enough, being on an antiviral, several other conditions went away I have had for some time.

So I finally got back to most of my energy and brain capacity, so on a whim, and the 2005 x350 starting to throw more codes and present issues than a lepard has spots, I moved the cars around to clear the lift and get the 2000 x308 on the lift. In three hours the old Denso alternator was out and the all brand new D&S alternaor was in with very little angst. Anyone need an old Denso for a rebuild?

It was a very straight forward process: 1 Disconnect the battery (Trunk); 2. remove the Mass Flow connector (top); 3. remove the RH variable valve solenoid connector (top); 4. remove the Mass Flow plenum and air filter box (top); 5.remove the two electrical connectors from the alternator (Top & bottom); 6. remove the top alternator bolt (top); 7, release the surpentine belt tension (top); 8. disconnect and remove the two electric cooling fans in their shroud (top); 9. remove the oil filter (bottom); 10. remove the alternator cooling air duct (bottom); 11. remove the bottom alternator bolt and nut (bottom); 12, carefully pry out the alternator and route out through the top; 13. reverse sequence with new alternator.

I probably could have got away without removing the Oil filter and clooling duct, but for 2 minutes of work I saved some grief by making room to work.

After reassembly I checked the systems for codes which I was very surprised there were none caused by the failed alternator and limp home from a low system voltage. With a recharged battery (critically important!), twisted the key and all fired up with zero codes. Went for a drive and all systems go, lights don't dim coming to a stop with all accessories running!

Now that I have my Toughbook back from a few important upgrades, the 2005 X350 is now on the lift for complete IDS/SDD diagnostics, cleaning all the grounds and replacing any broken ground studs, reflashing modules, oil and filter change, full brake job including fluid flush, fix the ABS fault, probably rebuild the suspension air compressor, reset the headliner - while troubleshooting an intermittent passenger seat airbag fault, fix the driver seat heater, diagnose the loss of all but one speaker in the audio system, feed the hydes, polish the haze off the headlights. Oh and probably the upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends (80K miles) and probably new transmission filter and fluid. Gee, what would a dealer charge me for all that? I'd bet easily $15k.
I'll post that on the X350 list so dont answer the x350 issues here

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 10:30 AM
Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

The only thing I miss going from a fairly new car to my 2000 X308 as a daily driver is DAB radio, handsfree and satnav. In other words, decent ICE. I added bluetooth to the standard radio but it still didn't do it so I've just installed a 7" Joying Android head unit. The installation of the screen still needs tidying up but I'm impressed with the quality and usability. Electric aerial and steering wheel controls works fine and I've got a great handsfree phone capability Good value, I think. There's a couple of photos below - apologies for the reflections.

The Joying logo and bezel jar a bit but it still doesn't look bad and follows the angle of the standard mount so is easy to read. The Agama car launcher works well and is the best of the ones I've tried.

A bit of fun with an ODB bluetooth connector and app. I just need to get the dashboard the way I want it.

The following 4 users liked this post by markdpeter:
c16rkc (10-24-2022), k-man (11-11-2022), King Charles (09-02-2022), Parker 7 (09-01-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 344 Posts

We don't have DAB here in the US, however we have something that is similar.
We do have the Joying brand available here. Tell me please, was the wiring
connection difficult? I do appreciate the stock appearance of the unit.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 05:56 AM
Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyS
We don't have DAB here in the US, however we have something that is similar.
We do have the Joying brand available here. Tell me please, was the wiring
connection difficult? I do appreciate the stock appearance of the unit.
It was actually pretty simple. The PO had a proper hack around with the wiring and I need to clean that up first. Once I'd got it back to stock, however, it was pretty much plug and play. The only change I had to make was to get the steering wheel control wire out of the yellow connector and patch it into the unit. That was pretty straightforward.

Please bear in mind that I have the standard stereo and not the premium fitment. Probably that would need another adaptor.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Default Involved…

So covid, nothing liked being locked up least of all a big cat.
so I go, “it needs new fogs”…..remove bumper and replace fogs…..then spot all manner of oxidisation. That’s when I get involved, right now I don’t need involved lol!

I’m slowly getting it back to how it should be.
So far it’s fun, trans flush is at 2 of 3.
All nuts & bolts are getting changed for plated or stainless, I don’t really want to be doing this every few years…
The brakes have been frustrating - UNF rear metric front rusted bleed bolts, and the syrup that came out of the system. Titanium replacements on route.

Even the screen wash was a strange slime…

Should be done and out and about next week, with a little trip planned in honour of my Dad and Norman Dewis - separate thread on that hopefully - as long as we don’t break down😆

It’s filthy😳

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Anton Tkabladze
knock sensor
I was looking for Knock sensors for my 2003 XJ8 and thats what I just ordered.
pretty cheap - $46 with free shipping if order 2.
How long did it take to receive this being it was "Special Order" ?!

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 08:36 PM
Received 199 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
How long did it take to receive this being it was "Special Order" ?!
Planning on pulling my SC off this winter to replace hoses and was thinking of knock sensors. However, I would tend to think properly functioning lower mileage OEM parts would be better than inexpensive aftermarket reproductions.

Has anyone used the aftermarket sensors, any feedback?

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 87LC2
Planning on pulling my SC off this winter to replace hoses and was thinking of knock sensors. However, I would tend to think properly functioning lower mileage OEM parts would be better than inexpensive aftermarket reproductions.

Has anyone used the aftermarket sensors, any feedback?
My passenger side knock sensor is a $29 Duralast unit. No issues going on 3 years now.

The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
c16rkc (10-24-2022), Parker 7 (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 09:06 PM
Received 199 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
My passenger side knock sensor is a $29 Duralast unit. No issues going on 3 years now.
Good to hear, thanks for the feedback. So with 66k would it be wise to replace them when I have the blower off? Even if its with aftermarket units? I looked for OEM but they are way too expensive to replace for no good reason.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

I feel secure that generic knock sensors will do the job. It is a really simple function.

The following 2 users liked this post by RandyS:
87LC2 (09-01-2022), c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by markdpeter
The only thing I miss going from a fairly new car to my 2000 X308 as a daily driver is DAB radio, handsfree and satnav. In other words, decent ICE. I added bluetooth to the standard radio but it still didn't do it so I've just installed a 7" Joying Android head unit. The installation of the screen still needs tidying up but I'm impressed with the quality and usability. Electric aerial and steering wheel controls works fine and I've got a great handsfree phone capability Good value, I think. There's a couple of photos below - apologies for the reflections.

The Joying logo and bezel jar a bit but it still doesn't look bad and follows the angle of the standard mount so is easy to read. The Agama car launcher works well and is the best of the ones I've tried.

A bit of fun with an ODB bluetooth connector and app. I just need to get the dashboard the way I want it.
have you by chance tried the CAR LAUNCHER PRO app? from what i can see it looks even better than AGAMA.
i installed a similar system into my x300 if you pop over to the X300 forum you can see it there.

(have not got any pics with car launcher pro yet on there)

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Maintenance wash & interior touch up. Gonna do some sunday driving all weekend here lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by King Charles:
c16rkc (10-24-2022), neurojag (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Got tired of my seat belt being so crusty I had to help it retract, and did a deep clean of the front belts, based off a suggestion from someone else here. Wow what a difference.

Soak in a tub of mild washing detergent, then soak in water to rinse the detergent out, and finally close the door on it and spray from outside with a cordless handheld pressure washer (relatively low pressure). And of course hang to dry for a couple days.

The pressure washer was like an eraser on the years of grime there. Now I just have one small spot still dirty because I didn't think to unbolt the end of it.

Get all excited to drive it to work after the belts dry, fire it up and get a ABS/TRAC fault with a C1165 and no speedo function. Park it, guess it means I'll have to come back to that over the weekend if this cold doesn't knock me out.

Last edited by nilanium; 09-03-2022 at 11:44 AM.
c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just replaced the alternator in my 2002 XJR SC Ford-juar. Certainly not the worst alternator job I have done (try a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder...pure HELL). But it is done now and the new one (autozone reman I suppose) is working fine.

But, in an I KNOW BETTER moment of inattention, trying to get a ratchet out of a belt tensioner, I snapped the doggone plastic fitting of the radiator to reservoir coolant line. Done that before too. New one came in to day and it had some exterior physical damage and the WRONG o-rings. It does not appear to leak but am trying to get a replacement from the eBay vendor who sold it to me.

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED when working on a Jaguar. I bought a front rotor and pad set for it over a year ago. The existing pads had some life and the new pads were just too thick to fit over the new rotor. Just put that on the back burner until now. I'm hoping the Akembo (or whatever!) pads will fit when they come in.

I also replaced the rear shocks a while ago. Again, another not so fun a job but perfectly doable for us patient amateurs but some blue-streaking is required...neighbors!...cover your kids ears! Saw that the rears would need new rotors and pads. Those should be here today. If everything fits, I should be good to go until the next CAT-tastrophe.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 08:59 PM
Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
Got tired of my seat belt being so crusty I had to help it retract, and did a deep clean of the front belts, based off a suggestion from someone else here. Wow what a difference.

Soak in a tub of mild washing detergent, then soak in water to rinse the detergent out, and finally close the door on it and spray from outside with a cordless handheld pressure washer (relatively low pressure). And of course hang to dry for a couple days.

The pressure washer was like an eraser on the years of grime there. Now I just have one small spot still dirty because I didn't think to unbolt the end of it.

Get all excited to drive it to work after the belts dry, fire it up and get a ABS/TRAC fault with a C1165 and no speedo function. Park it, guess it means I'll have to come back to that over the weekend if this cold doesn't knock me out.
This is now on my list for next weekend. My driver's side belt hates retracting smoothly, so maybe a bit of cleaning will help it out.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

Seat belts are usually not on the list of "items to clean" however after reading this post
I found adequate reason to add it. Sure enough, it needed it.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Washing seatbelt will help it retract way better. I did mention this here, if i'm remember right.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

Bought these led's. Well, the heat sink is too chunky to fit in the headlight socket. Also, I was wondering why my car has started clunking over bumps. I noticed the upper shock mounts are crumbling.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 11:56 PM
Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

There is no way that any other headlight bulb than filament will fit to the x308 unless a special holding bracket is made. Unless glue or something else jerryrig is used.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

"Bought these led's. Well, the heat sink is too chunky to fit in the headlight socket. Also, I was wondering why my car has started clunking over bumps. I noticed the upper shock mounts are crumbling."

Ha ha! I haven't heard the word "chunky" used in a while.....but it seems to fit in this case.

c16rkc (10-24-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?