XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 303 Posts

Hi Bernd,

...just making sure...: You know how the correct procedure to check ATF fluid level?
Don repeated it just today in another thread - see last entry in the following link from Don:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post2603003
And I hope you used Lifeguard 5, mobile LT71141 or Esso LT71141 for topping up your 5hp24 ?

The following users liked this post:
earny (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 05:55 AM
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Wheel Shudder

I experienced a wheel shudder on my 1999 XJ8. As a result I had the wheels balance and tracking undertaken recently but I was still getting a shuddering through the steering wheel. At times it vibrates the whole car. This occurs at 50 to 60 mph. Road surfaces seem to make a big difference. Smooth surfaces tend to be fine, but rough surfaces makes it worse. I have replaced both upper wishbones in the past few weeks, so I know the rubbers are fine. All other rubbers look ok and had an MOT in November with no advisories. Ended up getting an independent Jaguar service centre to look at it. The fault was found to be that the front nearside caliper had seized and warped the disc. I got a quote to replace the offending caliper and replace both front side discs and pads. I replaced the calipers on the front myself 4 years ago, so was surprised it had seized. I agreed price with the service centre, then a day later thought that I ought to replace the offside caliper at the same time, just incase that failed at a later stage. By doing this it would ensure all braking components are evenly matched and would not give me any further issues. To my surprise, the service centre wanted to charge me £250 to replace the offside caliper. OK so the price of the caliper was £130 inc vat, which left £120 for labour! I queried this with the service centre and told them, how can I be charged an hours labour when they will be taking the caliper off to replace the disc and pads anyway. They couldn't give me a satisfactory answer, except the Jaguar indicated time for undertaking this work is 1 hour. I argued again that they will be removing the caliper to replace the disc and pads which I agreed in their original quotation and stated that it is just a case of swapping over the part. They agreed to reduce their labour rate to 1/2 hr. I still think they are taking the p*ss but needed to get my car back, so agreed it. The moral of this story is check what extra works involves before agreeing to any extra charges.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

So your shudder is gone now? It was really "Startrek-warp-drive" in the brake rotor?
Amazing. I had that issue on the X-Type, when I bought it, The solution was, that I swapped both front drive shafts (it's a FWD).

Old 01-12-2023, 01:02 PM
Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
Hi Bernd,

...just making sure...: You know how the correct procedure to check ATF fluid level?
Don repeated it just today in another thread - see last entry in the following link from Don:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post2603003
And I hope you used Lifeguard 5, mobile LT71141 or Esso LT71141 for topping up your 5hp24 ?
Thx Peter, my XJR has the Mercedes/AMG 722.6 gearbox. Level was checked like here described in this forum and topped with Mercedes Gearbox oil (ATF 14).

Last edited by earny; 01-12-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member

My "ANGEL"...:

I gave it chromed "wings" today, and...

...and two days ago: ANGEL EYES...

Old 01-15-2023, 03:28 AM
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Peter, Who makes the "Angle Eyes" and do they just fit in or did you have to do some adjustments?

Old 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

@ Doug: I just posted something about those DTRL angel eyes - all the info is in there...:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post2604178

Old 01-17-2023, 09:08 AM
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

I experimented with a cosmetic change on my ‘02 Super V8. A while back I came across an XJR at my local pull-a-part and picked up the front grille, body color mirror covers and the body colored trim from the trunk. Changed the grille out as a start. I don’t dislike the chrome grille but thought about trying a little more of an XJR look. I already had Penta wheels on it. It needs a wash but I liked the impact from a simple grille swap.

Ken Cantor (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 347 Posts

I am most likely in the minority; however I like the stock grill better than the XJR one.
The stock grill just seems to add a flair of excellence and is more "classy"..

Old 01-23-2023, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member

> What did you do to your X308 Today?

Today was not "Labor Day", but "Labeling Day"...:

First, I created a puzzle...:

...next I solved the puzzle...

...and finally I stuck the solved puzzle in the right order onto the X308...

Old 01-28-2023, 11:19 AM
Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Through the Revolving Door

Yesterday after breakfast, I drove through the Mersey Tunnel and up the M62 across the Pennines to Leeds. It was a comfortable and relaxing final journey of a little under 100 miles in the 2000 XJ8 3.2 which I've owned for almost exactly 12 months after buying it from Mike Brewer on his Wheeler Dealers show. At Leeds station I handed it over to the lovely new owner - Momi - who had travelled the 50 miles from Goole, situated on the River Ouse in the East of Yorkshire. He's got a great bargain. I've lavished time and money on the car and recovered a fraction of it - such is the way of the Jaguar owner.

The purchase of the XJ8 was a bit of a wallet accident but as soon as I drove it I loved it as a daily alternative to my 1982 Series 3. I've done the best part of 10,000 miles in the year of ownership and it never let me down or left me dissapppointed. It was, however, a little underpowered and I vowed that I'd buy a supercharged X308 when one came along. So, when Chris Clark @c16rkc indicated that he was ready to sell his 2001 Daimler Super V8, I dropped everything to secure it. I felt as though I already knew the car through Chris's lovely YouTube videos and his ownership thread on this forum, so it was a no-brainer really. Having handed over the keys of the XJ8 to Momi, I braved the UK's horrendously unreliable rail network and took the 90 minute rail journey from Leeds down to Peterborough where Chris and his lovely family met me with the Daimler. After a good chat with Chris, and having said hello to his son Aston (who graciously allowed me to buy his car), I set off in the dark to drive the 180 miles home.

Driving across England on a Friday evening - particularly heading north - is horrible with heavily congested motorways. Google maps directed me across a mixture of serpentine B-roads and fast A-roads, finishing off with an 55 mile dash up the M6 and M56 which had pretty much cleared by the time I filtered onto them.

It was a great test of the car and it performed flawlessly throughout the route. I managed to average over 50mph (pretty good for the route and the time of day), and 25mpg (as good, if not better, than I would have done in the 3.2). This morning I took my wife out and scared her half to death by showing the difference a supercharger and an extra 800cc make to the V8.

Today I've been reviewing and adding to Chris's "To do" list for the car. Tomorrow, I will use a complex algorithm which will use the factors of urgency, simplicity and cost, to help prioritise what I do and when. Well, when I say algorithm.....

A big thank you to Chris for making buying the car so easy and for providing a history of the car during his ownership which will help me so much. I'll feel guilty if I don't follow his example and create my own ownership thread so that's tomorrow too.

The big question on my mind tonight is whether I can persuade my wife that we should use the 25mpg, 22 year old Daimler for our coming 3,000 mile round trip to Spain, rather than her 2 year old, 38mpg, BMW 4 series convertible. I've just worked out that, at French petrol prices, that's a cost difference of about £300 before we even talk about the reliability factor. I may struggle!

In the cafe car park before making the 100 mile drive to Leeds.

Handover in Peterborough with the Daimler behind us. Some guy tried to upstage us with his new Bentley Continental - some hope.

Still dirty from the 180 mile drive but happy in it's new home, despite the new BMW challenger behind it.

The following 3 users liked this post by markdpeter:
c16rkc (01-31-2023), earny (01-28-2023), Ken Cantor (01-28-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 08:10 AM
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You kept her very clean on the way back Mark, only the wheels give away the journey you did!

Old 02-02-2023, 09:37 AM
Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StagByTriumph
Hi crash1121,
Don't beat yourself for maintaining a great looking x308. I see you have Colorado registration. How long have you owned that Crimson X308 beauty? I recall seeing several like it for sale from the Springs area and one in Aurora a while back, one had some sort of weird Canadian titling that needed to be sorted out. In any case, I'm in Lafayette and have a IDS/SDD w/ OE Rotunda ACM and Diagnostic Power supply if you need to get anything sorted. Who and where is your cherished Jaguar Technician?
Also the Jaguar Club in Coorado is pretty active in teh Denver and Colorado Springs area and usually turns out a nice presentation of cars at the Colorado English Motoring Conclave every September in Arvada. I recall club membership gets some various repair and parts discounts.

PM me if you want to chat off the main list.

Cheers!
Ah, my apologies for overlooking your message, @StagByTriumph !

I've been the caretaker of my X308 since March of '21! My being enamored with these vehicles has steadily persisted throughout my life, and I'd finally convinced myself to bite the bullet once the "perfect" example became available. Upon searching for nearly 2 years, my beloved '02 SV8 arrived on the market in CA!

Since I've had it, it has spent the summer & fall in the San Juans surrounding Telluride, then gone down south to Houston for the winter & spring. My cherished Jaguar technician is Mike Davis of Champions Jaguar Service in Houston, who's an encyclopedia for all things Jaguar, and a magician. I'd absolutely love to take a cruise out to the Front Range for the Colorado English Motoring Conclave this year—I greatly appreciate the suggestion! Also, many thanks for your generosity in offering your diagnostic equipment should I be in need of it.

Cheers!

Old 02-03-2023, 03:37 PM
Old 02-03-2023, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,537 Likes on 831 Posts

^

She’s very pretty - particularly for those of us who are partial to dark colours and Asteroids - but those brushes in the background are cringeworthy for some of us…

earny (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 04:02 PM

The salt had to get off the paint quickly, Ken. ;-)

Ken Cantor (02-03-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Keep her waxed with several coats and the road salt washes off very easily and never reaches the paint.
However, I do understand the concern. It is too bad they have no car washes that pressure spray the
undercarriage without those awful abrasive brushes.

The following 2 users liked this post by RandyS:
earny (02-04-2023), Ken Cantor (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,537 Likes on 831 Posts

Randy,

Your comment intrigued me so… I don’t know anyone who has one - and I’ve never seen one, even in Home Depot - but this looks like a tempting addition to having it professionally done every year. My concern would be introducing moisture where it wouldn’t otherwise get to.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kYt0LPDeEkE

Old 02-04-2023, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Ken,
Nice find! Although I refuse to drive the Duchess when there is the possibility of salt on the roads,
I am certain many forum members do not have that luxury. Such a tool would be a great addition
to their car maintenance regimen. I noticed in the video, the ability to change the spray angle which
could compensate worry about getting the water into sensitive areas.

RYOBI 11" Pressure Washer Water Broom FAST Wash Deck Patio Driveway Car RY31211 | eBay
$40 on Ebay

Last edited by RandyS; 02-04-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:38 PM

I clean the car including wheel arches and the accessible parts of the underbody before brush washing with some kind of self-operated pressure lance that is offered at most facilities for little money.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?