XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Distraxi
Pulled the front shocks to replace the lower bushes. Unfortunately it turns out the new bushes I got aren't the same as the old ones, and by the time I found that out the dealer had closed. So now the car's on axle stands till Monday
Got the right bits. Fitted them. Yay, no more front end clonk!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, the nipple that comes out of the scuttle is broken off.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i finally have gotten to the point where i can have my emissions tested at the inspection station after putting over 100 miles on my car on board monitoring completed ...hooo.ray.....new inspection sticker here i come

Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smtguy
Yes, the nipple that comes out of the scuttle is broken off.
I would try gripping the remains and seeing if it will pull through then get access to the pipe and spice or replce it. Or try a wood screw and see if you can pull it through. Else the scuttle will have to come off I think....Allan

The following users liked this post:
smtguy (11-16-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Today...

I returned from vacationing in Southern California / Disneyland.

Returned to find a box of ALL of the interior wood that I bought that was from a 1998 XJR. The wood in my '01 XJR has the "milky wood" problem. It is starting on the gauge cluster and the driver's door wood trim.

Must be my day for bad news:

First I opened the box, and all the wood is beautiful, but the front door trim pieces, especially the driver's door wood trim is REALLY cracked, and I mean REALLY cracked badly.

I have looked into refinishing the wood professionally, as my milky wood, other than the milky finish has an absolutely flawless finish. Not even a hairline scratch in any of it. The interior looks as if it had never been used for the most part.

Second, I got a call that my father had suddenly passed away at a football game. Fine one minute, and then collapsed. Had a tear in his Aorta (the biggest artery in your body, exiting the heart). Not great news two hours into a nineteen hour drive.

Anyway, back on track in the Jaguar world:

I need wood trim for both front doors. If any one has any REALLY nice pieces let me know. I have already amassed some really beautiful spare parts, such as a third brake light assembly in AGD, an extra third brake light AGD cover, two third brake light inner light assemblies, some extra lights, emblems, and I'd even give up my near mint, fully functional AGD center armrest. I am searching for one without the cup holder, and have a line on two in the UK. If you have any wood trim to sell or trade, hit me up.

I have also ordered all of the front and rear sway bar bushings. I have tracked down the rattling in my front and rear suspension. I originally thought it was the upper shock tower bushings or the lower shock bushings, but had them inspected when I had my alignment and tires installed, and the techs even said that the shocks themselves were perfect. The total for all the sway bar bushings, both the center ones and the end link ones was just under a hundred bucks. Went with rubber vs urethane, as my last project car was upgraded to all urethane and it squeaked and the sound was rather annoying.

Finally, I am on the fence about doing the tensioners, timing chains, and EVERYTHING related to same, or just taking the car to a pro. I have an excellent shop not too far away, and since this is my only form of transportation, I don't want to be rushed and screw something up. That said, i can purchase all of the tools required for the job, including the harmonic damper puller for $230.00 shipped. The best deal I found on ALL the parts required was just under 700.00 shipped. This would save me about a grand. Dunno if it is worth just having it done.

Same goes for the fuel pumps. Contacted Fuel Injection Corp for two pumps, and they have yet to respond in over ten days. It doesn't look too complicated, and is straight forward as long as one uses the correct tools and isn't temped to take any short cuts.

I guess I'll just sleep on it and see what happened.

This is the first time in YEARS that I am down to just two vehicles in my household. Two years ago I owned over eight cars, and that was really nice, having the ability to take my time on big projects.

That's it for today.

Have a great week everybody!

I am going to take a nice long nap.

Stewart

p.s. Sorry for the extra long post. I am really exhausted and am having crazy mixed emotions about my Father's passing.

I promise to be brief next time

Last edited by Platinum XJR; 11-13-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to hear about your father. My condolences.

Dan

Platinum XJR (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Replaced my front shocks with Bilsteins. Everything went fine. 2 hours for the job. Next up: sway bar bushings and links.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Washed and drove her to work at a high rate of speed. Runs like butter.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Installed a new gas cap. Highlight of my day...

Old 11-16-2013, 07:05 AM

You know, if it resolves an issue, well, then it IS the highlight of the day!

Dan

Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi
I change today on my car the air and gas filter.
Last week i change the oil and oil filter. For the oil i use BMW OEM oil 5w40 synthetic .
BMW use Castrol oil.

Last edited by gabrielbecheanu; 11-16-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a few things done on my 98 XJ8 today...

* When the car was bought, it had two keys but only one remote. Found the proper remote on eBay and the procedure for programming it in this very forum; now I have two working remotes. Although I came across a few versions of the programming procedure, here's what worked for me: 1) insert the ignition key, but don't turn it; 2) hold the high-beam-to-pass lever in while turning the key to the first position (not necessary to turn it to the 2nd position where everything starts coming on); 3) let off of the high-beam-to-pass lever and pull it again 4 times (you will hear a beep and the red light by the P near the gear shift lever will light); 4) press the Lock button on each remote you want to program in turn (in my case, I pressed it once on remote #1 and then once on remote #2). 5) remove the ignition key and start enjoying your newly-programmed remotes.

* Replaced the center console rear vent assembly. The existing vents were damaged, but again, eBay provided a virtually new, fully functional replacement. Very easy swap out. 1) Lift the armrest/cover. 2) Remove the screw securing the arm rest check arm. 3) Remove the 4 screws that hold the bin inside the console. 4) Remove the armrest/cover and set it aside. 5) Remove the bin. 6) There are two tabs on the top of the vent assembly that you just push down a little and you will be able to work the entire assembly out the back of the console. (note: mine does not have the cigarette lighter in it, so if yours does, there's likely something else you need to do such as disconnect the wiring). Bada bing, bada boom.

* Replaced the broken drink holder. As has been recounted many times in this (invaluable) forum, it's not the ultimate drink holder, but it's better than the broken one I had. I found a PDF procedure that details all the steps necessary to do the replacement somewhere in this forum. I apologize, but I seem to have lost the link. I have the PDF procedure, so if you need it, just let me know and I can email it to you.

All in all, a very good day in XJ8 land!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Platinum XJR, my condolences to you and your family for the passing of your father. May God provide you and your family members comfort during this time of grief.

Kerry, can you please email me the repair procedure for the cup holder as mine needs repair also. You can send the PDF to malernforreal at aol dot com. Thanks in advance.

Today, I did a thorough walk through of my XJ8 to create a list of needs to get her back to a healthy state. I picked up a radiator and had it cleaned and pressure tested. Also picked up a fan shroud, as the one on the car was broken and could not be repaired. Monday I will flush the system, put in a new water pump, thermostat and reinstall the fan shroud and radiator. After that I will turn her over to hear her purr

Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zorasmiles
Kerry, can you please email me the repair procedure for the cup holder as mine needs repair also.
You've got mail!

Zorasmiles (11-20-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM

Kerry,

I wish I did have mail . Can you attempt to resend? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Had my spare XJR 2001 key programmed for $40.00 . Key was purchased off E Bay and cut free of charge at Park Place Plano Texas . Total cost for new spare key $55.00
Those in Dallas / FT worth needing new keys or keys programmed would do well to contact Jarrod at Aaron,s Locksmith 817 259 1350. Near I20 and 287.
Jarrod can cut and program any key . Just call him with the details to allow him to be sure he has the blank . If he does not he will get it for you.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulled Power steering pump. Can I rebuld it?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Not worth the effort, just buy one from Rock Auto.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:58 AM

I programmed 4 new key FOBs to my Jaguar yesterday and I must say it feels great not having to stick the key in the door to unlock!! Having one vehicle in the household with manual windows and doors (Ford F150) was definitely a motivator in sourcing the key FOBs and following the instructions posted here on the forums for programming. I wanted to do a few more things to the car yesterday and today but the weather isn't cooperating (rainy, windy and cold=triple bad weather trifecta).

I just swapped out the air filter that arrived yesterday evening and that made me smile just a little bit. Picking up transmission fluid today (going with the Castrol, we shall see what happens down the road--I'm a glutton for punishment because I used the peak long life coolant as well). Impatience in wanting to get this rescued golden cat but on the roadway!! LOL

Old 11-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Week-end before last, replaced rear rotors and pads. Last week-end, replaced front pads with better quality ones and did a good greasing of the caliper guide bolts. She now brakes good and no more squeaking. This week-end, found the mystery around my windshield wiper no longer working. "simply" a shot on/off relay. Out of the blue, my windshield cleaner fluid pump came back to life! (actually, it came back to life before I actually found out about the faulty relay). Figures. This coming week, must unclogg the heater core. Had same problem last winter and that was the issue. Temperatures dropped to ~35 in Austin TX this week and took me a little by surprise ;-) On the to-do list remains: replace/fix driver door lock actuator (what appears to be a pain in the rear end job I keep pushing off); also, I have a small coolant leak and a small oil leak. Oh well, enough to keep me busy :-)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?