What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Passed MOT, No Advisory's! Few!

Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Just ordered a set of Akebonos from FCPEuro

Also, the car is half way through having 'part 2' of the stereo upgraded...
Front speakers and amps were installed a few years ago, and now the sub and a big mono are going into the boot

progress pics can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2757723&type=1

headunit is still very much a work in progress

Old 11-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell_nz

Front speakers and amps were installed a few years ago, and now the sub and a big mono are going into the boot

progress pics can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2757723&type=1

Love the stereo setup!! Wish I could have that speaker box because I know it's going to be killer!! Will there be an open port area in the rear deck to allow the bass to fill the cabin area?

Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 AM

yeah, the 6x9 hole in the parcel shelf is open to try to get some sound into the cabin

the sub is rated around 2kwrms, so by feeding it 2500wrms i have a bit of 'headroom', the box is sealed too, so it will be fine
the sub is being reverse mounted as well, so it won't take up any of the volume inside the box, and i can show off the sub!
of course, bootspace is an issue with these cars, but i should still have plenty of room for a couple of bags etc, and still have lots and lots of bass...

and then down the line, if i decide to go for something smaller/more sensible, i can always change to a smaller sub and have the basket on the inside

Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 PM

You answered my question before I asked about it being reverse mounted.

Any chances you'll be making more than one of those boxes for shipping to say..umm..well to some place..like..umm...the US? lol

I have an old JL1000 sitting around begging to be put to use!! I'm sure it would pair up well with that RE lol

Old 11-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very slick looking and professional!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Question, did you remove the chrome trip around the windows? If so, what did it take to do that?

Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by EastCoastYost
Question, did you remove the chrome trip around the windows? If so, what did it take to do that?
I think my car is ex-singapore it came with the black trim from factory
Originally Posted by Porsche407
Very slick looking and professional!
thanks. I must point out that i'm not actually doing this myself, i'm paying a mate who specalizes in custom car audio installs
Originally Posted by Zorasmiles
You answered my question before I asked about it being reverse mounted.

Any chances you'll be making more than one of those boxes for shipping to say..umm..well to some place..like..umm...the US? lol

I have an old JL1000 sitting around begging to be put to use!! I'm sure it would pair up well with that RE lol
as above, i'm not actually doing this myself. i could have a chat and see if i could get plans for metal frame, then you could get something similar made up yourself, but to be honest, it's unlikely you'd need something that extreme. best bet would be to talk to a professional installer, the rest of the fibreglassing isn't actually that complicated

the reason we've gone with the metal frame is because my sub weighs 32kg, and is about an inch longer than it is wide! most of the weight is in the magnet at the base of the sub, which will be hanging about a foot away from the mounting face. this is why we've reinforced it so much
if you used a smaller, less powerful sub, you'd be fine just mounting it to mdf

Old 12-01-2013, 06:44 AM

I think my car is ex-singapore it came with the black trim from factory

thanks. I must point out that i'm not actually doing this myself, i'm paying a mate who specalizes in custom car audio installs

as above, i'm not actually doing this myself. i could have a chat and see if i could get plans for metal frame, then you could get something similar made up yourself, but to be honest, it's unlikely you'd need something that extreme. best bet would be to talk to a professional installer, the rest of the fibreglassing isn't actually that complicated

the reason we've gone with the metal frame is because my sub weighs 32kg, and is about an inch longer than it is wide! most of the weight is in the magnet at the base of the sub, which will be hanging about a foot away from the mounting face. this is why we've reinforced it so much
if you used a smaller, less powerful sub, you'd be fine just mounting it to mdf
The metal frame is what made me want that enclosure lol I have a speaker that's pretty heavy (thanks JL!) that's been sitting around. I've spoken with a few car audio folks who are good at fiberglassing and building enclosures but so far--each fabricated box has not lived up to my standards. I also have a BMW 740i that has similar issues as the Jaguar---only way to port the sound from asub is through the rear deck (as mine doesn't have the ski pass thru area). If your builder would be interested in building a second enclosure, I'd be seriously interested in acquiring it.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Looks very nice Glen.
I see you ordered Akebono pads from FCP...exactly what I was doing before I logged on here.
You get that 10% off email? Mine came to $180ish with post.($58AUD) What did you pay if that's an OK Q?
And if you don't mind why did you go for that brand? They are available loca,l Pedders but at twice the price....of course.
BTW there is no chrome around the window frames on the "sports" either. They should have called the XJR Sports and mine the Poverty Pack
Cheers,Neil

Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

That's what I was going to say before I read Glen's post...
Got mine started after a month sitting unable to start it..OBD reader was at my mechanics (where I leave all my Jag bits) And he was away on holidays.Hoping the car would tell me why it had the sads.

He did a home visit to see if he could find the problem. Was easy. An as new battery had failed.I had discounted the battery as it is only 6 months old. Wasn't enough power to run an OBD reader. Ohh well!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zorasmiles
The metal frame is what made me want that enclosure lol I have a speaker that's pretty heavy (thanks JL!) that's been sitting around. I've spoken with a few car audio folks who are good at fiberglassing and building enclosures but so far--each fabricated box has not lived up to my standards. I also have a BMW 740i that has similar issues as the Jaguar---only way to port the sound from asub is through the rear deck (as mine doesn't have the ski pass thru area). If your builder would be interested in building a second enclosure, I'd be seriously interested in acquiring it.
He'd love to build another one for you... but it would be rather costly!
The bracket itself isn't much use without the rest of the box, so unless you know someone who could build the rest of it, the only option would be for him to build the whole thing and then ship it... which is going to cost an arm and a leg from New Zealand to Texas!
For what it would cost, I think you'd be better off talking to a proper fabricator, ie someone who builds custom cars, rather than a car audio shop.

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Looks very nice Glen.
I see you ordered Akebono pads from FCP...exactly what I was doing before I logged on here.
You get that 10% off email? Mine came to $180ish with post.($58AUD) What did you pay if that's an OK Q?
And if you don't mind why did you go for that brand? They are available local Pedders but at twice the price....of course.
10% off email? Nope, I missed that! Bugger...
All up I believe it was about US$120 shipped to New Zealand, I only ordered fronts though, so I may need to go back for rears, and while I'm at it, possibly front disks as well.
It was still well under half the price that the local dealer was going to charge me. Plus I'm not even sure what brand of pads they would give me.
I used FCP because of a recommendation on here... and they've been absolutely fantastic to deal with. I sent them an enquiry online last Wednesday and received a reply within an hour, and they arrived this morning.
Also their price was within about US$5 of what I could find on Ebay, although shipping may have been slightly more as well. Cannot recommend them enough though as their customer service has been exceptional. Definitely worth paying a small premium for.

I'll keep you all updated on the stereo, and what I think of the Akebonos once I've got the car back. The install is taking a little longer than planned, but you can't rush these things

Last edited by grandell; 12-03-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=grandell_nz;867174]He'd love to build another one for you... but it would be rather costly!
The bracket itself isn't much use without the rest of the box, so unless you know someone who could build the rest of it, the only option would be for him to build the whole thing and then ship it... which is going to cost an arm and a leg from New Zealand to Texas!
For what it would cost, I think you'd be better off talking to a proper fabricator, ie someone who builds custom cars, rather than a car audio shop.

I kinda' figured I'd have to sacrifice a couple of body parts for that beautiful enclosure I guess I can just admire yours from a distance and think "If only I could have that perfectly placed enclosure"

Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Still waiting on the stereo... It's looking amazing though, so I just have to be patient

And then just because I didn't think I'd spent enough on the car already, I put down a deposit for some Arden side skirts from auctions.yahoo.co.jp
No idea how well they'll fit, but they were a bargain compared to other prices I've seen online.
It will be interesting to see what they look like on the car. All the other photos I've seen have the horrible front and rear body kit as well, but I am just getting the side skirts.
I'm hoping it will help make the car look a little lower, without having to actually make it lower.

That will be a project for next year

Old 12-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Installed VDP tray tables in my XJR.

I finally got around to installing some VDP seat backs and tray tables in my XJR.

Things went very easy and exactly like this post, thanks Probesport!:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ns-less-93545/

I think they look great!
Vector

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-vdp-trays-xjr.jpg  

Last edited by Vector; 12-15-2013 at 04:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ipc838 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Changed my Battery today!

Using now a white-bodied Interstate Part # MTP-49/H8 Mega-Tron.

My previous battery didn't go out without a fight. It (since a very
cold 5 degree- F freeze) failed once, and I had to have the car
jump-started. The next day, it was so close to death I was lucky
to get it started. It barely turned over 4 times, but it coughed into
life. I got "Check rearlights", engine coolant low, "gearbox fault",
and the death scroll was scary.

I decided to drive along for a couple miles in gearbox fault mode
so that I could charge up the battery, and lo and behold, after 3 miles
cruising in 2nd gear I was able to turn it off and then restart it
without any warning lights. Phew!

The next day, I replaced the battery! $220 total, but it's warrantied for
6 years and can be acquired for around $180 if you install it yourself.

Ian

Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Got my supercharger back from warranty work. Installed it and it ran beautifully quiet for a full 5 minutes before going tick tick, click click CLICK click...

I still took it out for a spin 19 psi!!!

I'll have to take it off again and send it somewhere else to get fixed. Is it really that hard to do it right?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I bought a car cover for my XJ8 so it doesn't get [stuff] on it if I have to park it in the driveway! Currently, it's in the garage (with car cover!) while I await replacement parts for those that the mechanic failed to re-install after replacing my transmission! Holy Smokes Bat Man!!!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Rotated the tires, Lexolled the leather, and rubbed down all the weather stripping with silicon. Removed the battery and since the battery caps are under the hold down strap noticed the acid level was about half gone. Gave her a nightcap of Stabil and Tucked her in under the car cover for a long winter nap.

Filled the battery and put it on the tender. By spring it should be back to fighting strength.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 AM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Sold it. And to be frank it was the most satisfying thing i ever did with it. Dont think ill venture from 6 cylinder again. Sorry, i love my jags but the v8 xjr was a difficult car to live with.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?