XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks, I'll check that out. I have never moved them so the PO must have mixed them up.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

I installed one of Gonzo's hood liners and the "R" logo he sent with it.

I think it looks great.

While this was not a real difficult job to do, it is not something you would want to try to do by yourself.

It requires removing and re-installing the hood and you definitely need two people to properly align and smooth out the hood liner. It is secured with the original mounting fasteners plus 3M adhesive, the kind that you spray on both surfaces then wait 5 minutes and then bond it together.

I masked off everything that could get scratched or over-sprayed with glue, marked the hood hinges before removal and everything lined up great when we put it back together.

I also replaced one of the large bulbs in the instrument cluster that was burned out. I had the cluster out before when I was installing my "Real Gauge" kit, so that went fairly quickly.

Vector

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-xjr-hood-liner.jpg   What did you do to your X308 Today?-xj8-dash-back-view.jpg  
Old 09-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The front indicators on my XJ8 were pretty bad and I finally got replacements (used). Had my brother buy and ship them from the UK, and they were still half the price that I could find them for here. I'm amazed at how easy these things are to remove and replace.

Old lenses...

Name:  IMG_20140926_121329232_zps4e3ecb86.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  87.9 KB

New ones...

Name:  IMG_20140926_121306689_HDR_zps6b9357e8.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  73.2 KB

Last edited by badger2196; 09-26-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Not actually today, but last Tuesday/Wednesday 07/ 08 October.
24 month service
Checked chassis, electrics, levels.
Checked, cleaned and adjusted parking brake.
Replaced engine oil and filter
Replaced fuel filter. (This was very bad, connectors rusted in place and needed cleaning before fitting filter.)
Replaced air filter
Greased all grease points.
Had engine terracleaned. (Runs like a dream now)
Terraclean guy (ex jaguar mech who has worked on this car before, when employed by local Jag dealer,) gave me a pretty good price for timing chains and tensioners replacement, (all of them) Car now on 130,000 so have booked it in for that job, and to replace filter, seals and oils in diff and gearbox as both leaking, and replace aux drive belt, thermostat, water pump, spark plugs, PAS pipe, and PAS oil. This work will be done tomorrow and Friday.
I think that should just about do it for now. I hope.

Last edited by Richy_Jsy; 10-15-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:49 AM

I finished replacing my front shock bushings.

See my thread with pics here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1080838

I also added an "R" medallion to the circular area on top of the inter-coolers. There was a circular depression in that area that looks like it was made for the medallion I installed.

Vector

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-r-medalion-engine.jpg  

Last edited by Vector; 10-18-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not actually today, but yesterday...

Put on a fresh set of Michelin Primacy MXV4s, on my newly acquired '02 XJ8.

It's like riding on rails.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroedIn
Not actually today, but yesterday...Put on a fresh set of Michelin Primacy MXV4s, on my newly acquired '02 XJ8.
It's like riding on rails.
You like them better than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports?
Vector

Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Yesterday

1. Complete high-suction vacuuming of complete interior: under seats, down the sills, up into the footwells, then, shampooed carpets, scrubbed with bristle brush to loosen up all the crud, then again high pressure vacuum to suck up the remnants, wiped down with damp rag and clear water, again, high suction vacuum to clean up.

2. Using a fingernail brush (rounded bristles, gentle enough for hands, so, won't scratch or mar the vinyl), used Griot's interior cleaner and scrubbed the door panels, kick panels, etc. Clear water on clean terry towel to rinse.

3. Using the same fingernail brush, and Leatherique Prestine Clean, scrubbed the seats, paying attention to the creases and seams. Lots of crud, lots of nicotine (previous owner was a smoker...), lots of loose junk cleaned out. Gently scrubbed flat surfaces of the seats using the Prestine Clean...damp terry towel and clean water to mop up the cleaner.

4. Parked car in direct sun, and proceeded to lay on a thick coat of Leatherique rejuvenator. Used my hands to really massage into the surface (my hands are nice and soft now...). Closed the doors, left in the sun, went inside for a cup of coffee, came out an hour later, and buffed the seats with microfiber cloth. Nice. They do need to be redyed, but I have the proper cashmere dye, satin finish, from Leatherique (no financial connection, any use of the name is as a statement of fact, not endorsement, etc etc etc)

Interior of the car is starting to loose the old cigarette smell and when I opened the door this morning to leave for work...was greeted by the faint scent of leather and clean carpets. Not a new car smell, by any stretch (after 14 years?), but, a lot more pleasant.

That's how I spent my Sunday...

Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vector
Vector
I have never driven those particular tires, so am unequipped to provide an opinion.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
Vector
after reading the description from the Michelin site, "Perfect for comfort-oriented touring vehicles such as Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, this tire delivers all-season traction and a safe, comfortable ride." I have to imagine the ride to be more compliant, but not nearly as grippy and sharp as those of the Super Sports.
I was somewhat satisfied with the standard issue Pirellis on my XJR from a performance standpoint, but after driving a friends Cadillac with Super Sports on all four corners I quickly realized they have amazing grip and adhesion. While I'm gearing up for snow tires at the moment now that NY weather has already dipped into the 40's, I'll have to wait a few months before I purchase a set of super sports of my own!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

In the winter months I use Michelin X-Ice Xi2 Ice/snow tires for both - 2001 XJ8 and 1990 Acura Legend LS.

Jim Lombardi

Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 AM

I took the Jag to Goodyear to get them to do a Hunter Road Force balance job on the tires. I bought the "lifetime" balance deal for $25 per wheel a few years ago.

Driving the car home, I now have a significant vibration at that wasn't there before they did the work.

I have this problem with them every time they balance the tires on my car. Either they did not use the Hunter machine as I requested/paid for or the tech that did the work did a sloppy job.

Unfortunately, they are the only shop within my area that has a Hunter machine.

These cars are very sensitive to tire balance issues and this will be the second time I have had to take the car back to Goodyear and specify that they put their best tech on it and do exactly what the Hunter machine instructs them to do. I don't put a lot of miles on my XJR so it has been 2 years and 5K miles since I have had this done.

I am getting the car ready for a track day next month at Road Atlanta and want to make sure she will be steady at 150+ mph.

We'll see how things turn out...........

Some info from the forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-worked-68347/
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 10-21-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

See #844. Now all complete. Very pleased with outcome. Barely over 130,000 miles and was still on original 1st gen tensioners, guides and chains. Got to them just in time. Mech most impressed with care and condition of engine, motor oil not even discoloured, let alone black as most are at this mileage. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of engine innards, but can assure all it was almost like new. Was very lucky with this motor, original, not replacement. How do I upload what pics I have?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 AM
Default Replaced rear sway bar bushings and links.

I replaced the rear sway bar bushings and links on my XJR.

See my thread here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-pics-130442/

Vector

Old 11-09-2014, 05:37 PM
Thumbs up Just finished the first project on the XJ8

Replaced front upper shock mount plates with new ones. The new set had bushings pre-installed. The orange rubber in the original parts was beginning to crumble, and on the passenger side, the bushing was very worn.

Bought the set off eBay for $136, shipping included. URO branded parts arrived, which seem to contain urethane bushings.

Took my precious pet for a test drive when I was finished, and the ride characteristics seem a tad bit stiffer and more responsive than before.

During the job, I discovered that the upper shock bushings/spring seat also might need replacement, as I saw some crumbling on the right, and did not see any orange stuff at all on the left.

Tools required:
Floor jack
17mm spanner
Vise-grips
10mm socket
8mm socket

Time - about 1 hour

Thanks to other forum members who have documented the procedure for this job. That information made this job very easy for me. Cheers.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Replaced a burned out 3rd brake light (and had to tweak a bent contact) so all 5 lights work now for the first time in forever. Reinstalled the center console which has been out for about 6 months since I was last troubleshooting my random recurring “high gearbox temperature” fault. Also vacuumed, washed, cleaned the glass inside and out and put RainX on the outside glass. Topped off the wiper fluid as well.

Next up is ball joints and probably front bushings.

Mike

Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 AM
Default Replaced the front sway bar bushings and links

I replaced the front sway bar bushings and links on my XJR.

The front sway bar is about 2.5 times the diameter of the rear and lot heavier! Took a little more muscle to get the front one back in place than the rear!

Took about 2.0 hours including the time to get her up on jacks. I took the entire bar and links off the car as a unit, placed it in my bench vise, replaced the links and them re-installed the assembly with new bushings.

I did the rear bushings and links, and the upper front shock bushings over the past few weeks. Car feels much tighter and more responsive.

Total cost for parts for front and rear bushings, links and having the new front shock bushings pressed in the mounting plates was about $185. Money well spent!

I'll post a thread with pics of the front bushing replacement soon.

I am getting my XJR ready for my first "track day" at Road Atlanta November 22nd-23rd. Should be fun!

Thanks again to Jim Lombardi for excellent PDF instructions for doing the job!

Vector

Last edited by Vector; 11-10-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:19 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Ordered a set of Mina Gallery lowering springs for the XJR. Won't turn up until Jan because I'm getting a friend to ship them to me from the States.

I'll do a full write up with measurements when I get them fitted

Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Replaced the thermostat. Car was too slow to warm-up and I was getting "check engine" warning.
First unscrewed that cap on top of the housing and used drill pump to suck-out antifreeze. I wish they made it easier to stick a tube down the housing, I was too lazy to use valve on the bottom of the radiator (which is the right way). The rest was relatively easy 3-bolts job.
Now engine warms-up faster and heat is working much better. With that and new heating pads in my seat - I am ready for winter!

Old 11-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

New water pump, belts, belt tensioners, greased the idlers. The left valve cover was leaking oil. The seal looked brand new but the grommets looked old, so I put it back together with the same seal and new grommets. Going very nicely now!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?