XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1998 XJ8 Recent Updates

I did have a problem losing my lighting and based on a previous post reply, was able to have the mechanic repair the issue. (2 broken contacts in the light switch)
I also had a coolant leak, which the mechanic found out was the thermostat housing. The bottom part of the original (plastic) warped on the circular end that bolts down on the engine. It was losing coolant there. I think I was adding coolant almost every other day or so and could not figure out where the leak was. I had him put in the aluminum part to avoid any future problems.
He also did over the manifold cover gaskets when he replaced the thermostat housing as well.
The rearview mirror was also sent out to Sybesma Electronics to fix the messed up auto dim liquid in there and that was installed.
New front shocks put in as well.
Few minor paint issues for next year, around the rear window trim and around the gas cap area.
I also have to take out the CD player and fix that issue next.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Replaced the steering rack and tie rod ends. No more vibration, no more leaks.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Removed wax I just put on a month ago; now I added a speacialty wax I bought at the San Francisco International car show yesterday! Looks fantastic; seems to have brought back some color as well.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Yep, definitely brought some colour back , all them orangey reddish colours on the roof and hood!

Seriously, that is a proper shine, so good, in fact it is hard to tell if your Jag is dark blue, dark green, or black.

The following users liked this post:
Pilotman11 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Set an appointment with the place I bought it from to drop it off for them to look at the front end tomorrow and let me know what's rattling/clunking so I can decide if I should have them fix it under warranty (with a $100 deductible, yeah I missed that fine print somewhere), or if I'll just do it myself. Depends on what they find I guess.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 872 Likes on 719 Posts

It has been a busy four weeks my jag. CD cassette deck broke (no disks); replaced with one bought off eBay. Right rear brake lights failed (check rear lights); bad security and locking control module; replaced with one off eBay. Alternator failed (battery not charging); New battery, rebuilt alternator, new power cables between starter and alternator. Right front tire has a slow leak; tire guy at AAA can't find the leak, likely dry old sidewalls. Moved it to the spare.

Looked at some replacements: 14 XF, 11 XJL; 13 STS; 11 LR4. My 01 still rides, handles, accelerates, and brakes better. Oh well, holding my breath waiting to see what breaks next.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Set an appointment with the place I bought it from to drop it off for them to look at the front end tomorrow and let me know what's rattling/clunking so I can decide if I should have them fix it under warranty (with a $100 deductible, yeah I missed that fine print somewhere), or if I'll just do it myself. Depends on what they find I guess.
A C-note isn't too bad a tax...if it fixes the problem on someone else's dime.

Got mine back from its 3K oil change, lube, tire rotation, and pre-inspection inspection. No issues that the wrench found...the inspection station's net was down so they couldn't do the PA inspection...will bring it in Monday and have the sticker put on. Wrench hooked it up and ran through the diagnostics...only code showing was the completion code, so, it's good to go.

Between the XF and the XJ...I'm enjoying the Jag experience. Also, Ross (my wrench) pulled a complete set of door cards and center console out of a break-up in his lot; they're in good shape (well, one speaker grille is roached) and the same interior trim as mine. Loaded them into my car...too bad the seat covers are really really bad, or I would have taken them and refinished the leather, since they have the heated elements in both the front and back...and I never got around to putting the elements in my seats this summer (just seemed to go by too darn quickly). C'est la vie, eh?

He did mention that I was missing the inner pieces on both sides of the front brake cooling ducts. Have the ducts that go from the front bumper, but he explained that there is another plastic duct that completes the assembly...says a lot of cars have them missing. So...being the OCD type that I am...off on a search to find the two missing ducts for the front brake cooling. Never ends, does it?

For all those who will be observing Thanksgiving Day this week: hope your celebration is happy, your travels safe, and time with the family something to cherish.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

They came back and told me everything else looked fine, just the sway bar links were bad, so I figure I'll do those myself for not nearly $100 bucks. Why pay more than it would cost to fix, right? Just embarrassing to have someone compliment my car at the pump, and then to rattle my way out of the lot lol.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts
Default NIVEA-ed my seat today, believe it or not, it works ...

First must say, my ivory leather is is rather good condition, with no tears or scratches other then the driver seat.
The driver seat had the usual tear and wear when I bought the car, which I was perfectly able to restore to 'new' with scuff leather dye.

However, the middle panels of each seat seem to be a bit harder then the surrounds, even after regular nourishing for almost 2 years.

Yesterday took the bold step to follow some of the recommendations on the Benz forum (Could this be the best leather treatment yet??? - Mercedes-Benz Forum), and carefully massaged a healthy dose of Nivea cream into those panels.

It is now 12 hours later, just checked the seat, and it is rather amazing.
The leather looks perfectly semi-gloss, is not greasy, nor is any of the cream left.
The best thing is, the panels are surely much softer then yesterday.
I always had problems to clean the black out of all the folds, but as the leather is soft (and not obstructing) now, it cleans out automatically with a moist rag.

I will wait another day, but have to force myself not do the whole interior at once

E.

PS. Will finish up with a layer of Zaino 10 for the correct protection and smell.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-6045397356_0ac626b98b_z.jpg  

Last edited by ericjansen; 11-24-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added picture, for those who don't know :)
Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Getting things back to together on the SVP.
diff service done
new diff/control arm bushings and cleaned up.
Drive shafts and knuckles off, replaced all wheel bearings and race
New brake pads, new rotors, new brake fluid through system and a thorough cleaning.
New lower shock bushings, upper shock bushings
New spring bushings
No pics yet, but replaced the wishbone with one from an XJR with Sway bar mounts. Factory sway bar cleaned up and installed.

So far on the rear. A big list for the front will follow....

Here it is now. Need to go over bolts one last time with torque wrench to triple check.
Name:  2015-11-25%2021.25.32.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  172.8 KB

Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Yesterday took the bold step to follow some of the recommendations on the Benz forum (Could this be the best leather treatment yet??? - Mercedes-Benz Forum), and carefully massaged a healthy dose of Nivea cream into those panels.
I have heard about this on other forums too, but my Mom always used Nivea and as much as I love her, I am not sure I want my Jag to smell like her.

Does the smell linger?
Vector

Old 11-26-2015, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vector
I have heard about this on other forums too, but my Mom always used Nivea and as much as I love her, I am not sure I want my Jag to smell like her. Does the smell linger?
Vector
I don't think this is a treatment you will do every week.
As mentioned, for me, the middle panels were harder then the surrounds.
Now after 3 days and 2 treatments of massaging the Nivea into the leather (it really disappears quite quickly) they are really much softer.
Besides, as on my grandmother, the wrinkles are much less, and cleaner (so probably also less visible).
All this I have never been able to achieve with any kind of cleaner and conditioner available here.

As to your question, there was a slight Nivea smell in the car, but I ended with a layer of Zaino 10 for all leather in the interior, which completely eliminated the Nivea smell, and brought back the smell of old leather as it always does.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:02 PM

Today I drove the Jag on my favorite road and listened to my new James Bond Spectre album while driving; I felt like 007 for a little while! Not to mention on my drive I got to 113,000 miles (181,855 KM)! Meaning I've driven approximately 1,000 miles (1609 KM) since I got the Jag in March! Have a great day everyone!

- Pilotman

Old 11-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Thanksgiving ride

Originally Posted by Pilotman11
Today I drove the Jag on my favorite road and listened to my new James Bond Spectre album while driving; I felt like 007 for a little while! Not to mention on my drive I got to 113,000 miles (181,855 KM)! Meaning I've driven approximately 1,000 miles (1609 KM) since I got the Jag in March! Have a great day everyone!

- Pilotman
Took the old girl out to stretch her legs a bit on a fine, 60-ish degree Thanksgiving day here in the eastern PA area. Sun out, no wind, cracked the windows open a bit, opened up the moonroof, tunes in the CD player...clear roads...to mom's house by the long route, mostly "B" roads. Nothing like it. And it performed just as you would expect: smooth, fast, and comfortable.

Reminded me why I like these cars so much. Was either one of the Jags, or take the Europa out of storage and carve some corners with that ride. Took the Jag.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

My mats just arrived via Fed-Ex, best 50$(complete set) I've spent on floor mats. Heavyweight nylon,no slip backing,custom cut for Jaguar XJ8. Fit perfectly, I've paid twice as much for Lloyds & such.

These are from Amazon & are the beige color for my SDZ trim, but they have a large variety.

90 day warranty to boot.

So the Jag's in for a proper cleaning, that includes carpet shampooing the whole 9 lol.

Link if interested.

Amazon.com: Premier Custom Fit 4-piece Set Carpet Floor Mats for Jaguar Vanden (Premium Nylon, Beige): Automotive Amazon.com: Premier Custom Fit 4-piece Set Carpet Floor Mats for Jaguar Vanden (Premium Nylon, Beige): Automotive

Old 11-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Default Nice!

Originally Posted by King Charles
My mats just arrived via Fed-Ex, best 50$(complete set) I've spent on floor mats. Heavyweight nylon,no slip backing,custom cut for Jaguar XJ8. Fit perfectly, I've paid twice as much for Lloyds & such.

These are from Amazon & are the beige color for my SDZ trim, but they have a large variety.

90 day warranty to boot.

So the Jag's in for a proper cleaning, that includes carpet shampooing the whole 9 lol.

Link if interested.

Amazon.com: Premier Custom Fit 4-piece Set Carpet Floor Mats for Jaguar Vanden (Premium Nylon, Beige): Automotive

I like my Lloyds, but wish I had seen these too as they look very nice and the price is right! Have to wonder if that "smoke" color would have matched my "warm charcoal" interior a little closer than the Lloyds.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

My mats just arrived via Fed-Ex, best 50$(complete set) I've spent on floor mats.
And now we all hope that this time you will keep the Jag on the road after installing new mats !

King Charles (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
And now we all hope that this time you will keep the Jag on the road after installing new mats !
Indeed, truth be told the previous adventure was due to ill fitting "custom" mats coming un-anchored(my citations in court were thrown out for proof lol) I entertained the thought of suing but alas I deemed it not worthy of the trouble. Shame though, I had just brought that car up to stellar standards engine,cosmetics etc.

Here's an image from the security camera lol. The car was all the way inside the building.

Double din Kenwood DPX501BT & had zero issues, lighting makes it look scruffy it is in actuality very clean.

Here it is @ night, I like the customization feature on the display lights one more tweak of the dimmer w/a splash of blue it will be there & replacing my climate control console bulb that's out, it will be really clean.

Last edited by King Charles; 11-27-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Did a quick exterior clip of my exhaust... I'm liking it from day to day more and more. Just when it is cold, it will drone a little around the tranny, but heck, that isn't a problem! When it is warm, it is all dronefree

CharlzO (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 04:38 PM

Good work Daim! That sounds fantastic!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?