XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts
Default Foot well lighting

Not exactly today, but finished the rear well lighting some weeks ago, after finishing the fronts last summer.
Lights come on with the upper dome lights, and dim down with the delay, just as the rest of the interior lights.
Very happy with the result.

Name:  interior%201.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  206.0 KB

Name:  interior%202.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  209.8 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
rocklandjag (02-01-2016), xjay8 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by xjay8
Of course...that would have nothing to do with the way it has been driven
would it ;o]P

As it happens, I was doing about 20-25 mph with my foot on the brake slowing down to turn into the road I live on, when.....BANG!.... WTF!....pull into the kerb, gently, and I mean gently as in holding her on the footbrake and letting her roll on idle, a few feet BANG, a few more feet BANG.

Luckily I was only a few hundred yards away from home, so at less than walking pace, and making some horrific noises, I limped the old girl home and chucked her in the garage.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Not exactly today, but finished the rear well lighting some weeks ago, after finishing the fronts last summer.
Lights come on with the upper dome lights, and dim down with the delay, just as the rest of the interior lights.

Dobyou have some instructions wich wires to connect, as I would like to do this too

Old 01-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Dobyou have some instructions wich wires to connect, as I would like to do this too
Daim,
I had a separate thread on this matter, as I ran into some wire abracadabra, solved with the help of bdboyle.

I ran an update just now (post 6) with some guidance.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post1391038

Feel free to ask for particulars if needed, but I think it is a rather straight forward procedure.

E.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Made an appointment for Friday morning, to get my sporadic "Low Coolant " light checked via pressure test & a new battery as old man winter finally settled in here.

Update/Edit :

Got a great deal on an AutoCraft Gold battery Part No. 49H8 w/ 900 CCA was 25$ cheaper than all the other local shops & was installed by one of my area's most reputable shops. My old one tested @ 300 CCA so it was past due.

My cooling system checked out fine, which kind of baffles me. I've had this car 4 mo's now(approx. 1,200 miles) & had the "low coolant" light twice & having to add 6-8 oz. of coolant each time. Both episodes were after extended freeway driving, usually after a brisk passing session(70-80 mph).

Last edited by King Charles; 01-29-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

Did an alignment: steering was well out, rear right track too
Set my headlights: left was just above the perfect setup but wouldn't go down any further. Moved the bulb, all fine now.
Rotated tires: irregular tyre wear one the front due to bad tracking.
Check water leaks: all sealed.
Set exhaust up: doesn't point everyhwere noe.
Found rust: loads of it at the front sill tips.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

I thought about dropping the back axle out to change my blown diff.... Then I looked out the window, its grey and damp and not very warm.

After all, I have to walk at least 45 yrds to the workshop!

So it was either spend Sunday rolling around on a cold concrete floor under a Jag, or sit in the warm and chill out.... guess which option won?

Yep, feet up, cup of tea, telly on, the aroma of SWMBO in the kitchen cooking the roast wafting past my nose.....

Old 01-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Tanked the bugger and started to look for touchscreen parts for a radio upgrade

Old 01-31-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

That looks really nice. Well done!

Old 01-31-2016, 12:06 PM

Took it out for a bit of exercise yesterday, including a spin on some winding roads and an evening highway drive across Detroit with my wife for an event.

I try to keep it off the Michigan roads in the winter because of all the salt, the potholes, and the general flying debris from our disintegrating roads. But I also don't like to let it sit too long, since that's hard on the battery. Every now and then we get a decent winter day when I can take it for a spin and make sure the battery is still charged. Yesterday was one of those days, and it was great fun.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Very happy with the result. .....
Classy looking job ;o)
BTW where did you get your instrument trim rings?

Old 01-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Did an alignment: steering was well out, rear right track too
Set my headlights: left was just above the perfect setup but wouldn't go down any further. Moved the bulb, all fine now.
Rotated tires: irregular Tyre wear one the front due to bad tracking.
Check water leaks: all sealed.
Set exhaust up: doesn't point everywhere now.
Found rust: loads of it at the front sill tips.
Pity really as the only severe rust trap is where you have found it.
Usually caused by silt and muck being caught behind the rear end of the inner guard liner at it's bottom edge.
If you peel this back you can give it a good wash out and inspect for rust damage.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Patioboater
Took it out for a bit of exercise yesterday, including a spin on some winding roads and an evening highway drive across Detroit with my wife for an event.

I try to keep it off the Michigan roads in the winter because of all the salt, the potholes, and the general flying debris from our disintegrating roads. But I also don't like to let it sit too long, since that's hard on the battery. Every now and then we get a decent winter day when I can take it for a spin and make sure the battery is still charged. Yesterday was one of those days, and it was great fun.
Always good to give a Big Cat exercise but you really should have the battery hooked to an automatic charger when not on the road....you can double the life of your battery and have instant start up and no pesky codes ;o))

The following users liked this post:
Patioboater (02-01-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Classy looking job ;o)
BTW where did you get your instrument trim rings?
A guy called Steven in the UK.

Name:  DSC01403_zpsb1cf20c2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  72.5 KB

Went for the 6 ring set, and love the look against the dark wood.
PM me if you want to know his email address.

E.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Fixed my rear driver's side door, the handle had stopped working on the inside. So I pulled the door card off, and the catch at the latch inside had come off the notch. So once that was on, I also replaced the stock air box back in place of the K&N cone and shield I had put in. I'm planning a road trip in a couple months so I figured I'd get the car acclimated to the stock filter again and save myself a mpg on the trip. And, it gives me time to make a better shield template when Spring gets here. All in all, a productive day. Well, at least it will be for anyone who rides in the back.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:50 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Today was a nice clear day; perfect day for a wax. Halfway into my wax job I look up at the sky and see some dark clouds in the distance; I thought it wouldn't be a big problem. I go inside to grab my keys and once I'm outside it started to hail; and lots of it came down. So now the Jag has half of a wax job until my day off Tuesday.

So much for 10% chance of rain.

Last edited by Pilotman11; 02-01-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Wanted to change the right front wheel bearing. No problem until removing the ABS ring. Heat, WD40, impact wrench, breaker bar - no success. Ended up in putting all back together and cleaning the relevant parts. Next friday, I'll try again with breaking the old ring with a chisel and replacing with new (which I ordered immediately). Since they're cheap to get I blame myself not having ordered it right from the start.

At least I replaced the blue bulb of the "Sport" button and fixed the broken brackets of the radio and climate control units. However, two more bulbs blew when putting all back together (front seat heating and "Valet" button)
Will go for it next time when polishing and waxing the wooden veneer.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Pity really as the only severe rust trap is where you have found it.
Usually caused by silt and muck being caught behind the rear end of the inner guard liner at it's bottom edge.
If you peel this back you can give it a good wash out and inspect for rust damage.
Yep. So I'll get that area welded and then improved by making a plastic cover to extend from the arch trim. Also, two other spots, underneath the rear heatshields in front of the rear axle. They are not crispy yet on my 1998 but they have some surface rust. Time to react!

Old 02-01-2016, 05:01 PM

Always good to give a Big Cat exercise but you really should have the battery hooked to an automatic charger when not on the road....you can double the life of your battery and have instant start up and no pesky codes ;o))
It's a good suggestion. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Did part two of the wax job and it all went well. Used a wax called Collonite 845 it's one of my most favorite waxes I've tried so far.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?