XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer S Flavell
Eric,
I can appreciate and acknowledge we all have our varying opinions on what looks nice but I have to question why you felt the need to voice your negative one? The install was a 45th birthday present from my husband and daughter and it makes me happy. Why bring a negative vibe to my giddiness? Some people are purists and want to keep everything original. Some of us aren't. We all are free to do what we want with our own jags. You don't see me contradicting the purists and being rude.
Ahhh...the old "but it's not OEM!!!!" canard, right?

Back in the 90s when I was acting as an MSF instructor for the NJ Rider org, teaching motorcycle riding, my favorite phrase was "ride YOUR own ride". Same holds true here.

I like the conversion you did: clean and classy. Not what I did; I found a stash of NOS radios and picked up a few Just In Case, because I actually have a collection of cassettes, didn't want to loose the ability to play them...ok, I'm an Old Phart...lol...but appreciate when folks take a different path.

Some will get their shorts in a wad...others will smile...ride your ride, I always say.

The following users liked this post:
Jennifer S Flavell (03-17-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:20 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

[QUOTE=GGabriel;1422400]
Originally Posted by Count Iblis
Finally dropped rear suspension subframe on XJR

Eagerly awaiting whatever cool thing you're about to do..... I don't know what it is you're about to do, but I know it's going to be really cool and referenced years later by Jag enthusiasts.

Hey Count, have you heard of that company that is offering aluminum-ceramic brake rotors that cut 60 % + off the weight of of carbon steel rotors? Looking at the rotors on your rear end made me think about the effect on a XJR if you were to remove that much unsprung weight.

For auto applications, I think they were quoting 45 lbs total? On motorcycle they were dropping rotor weight by 3-4 lbs.

I first saw the story in Gizmag and then found and have been researching, the motorcycle division they spun off the parent company, as an alternative to carbor fiber wheels (which still cost exactly the same price since the last time i looked at Dymags for my old Kawaskai Eliminator build. (Can't do $2,500 for 1 wheel).

The price for the hybrids ($300 or so per rotor?) wasn't close to the horror of full ceramics but the weight loss was. Seems like bikers have 3 + years of street and track use and haven't seen any signs of wear yet.

Ceramic bearings seem to also be removing enough drag that they are seeing small improvements on a rear wheel dyno and that doesn't show the drag loss from the front wheel. The ceramic hybrid bearings weren't horribly priced and both seem to offer improved wear resistance compared to steel.

Have you had any experiences with ceramic and aluminum composites? Sorry to get off topic, I saw your rear end and thought of how easy it would be to change out everything with it pulled.

Have a terrific day,

Hey GGab,

I didn't know about the alum-ceramic brake rotors available. At least the rear the lowest unsprung mass you're ever unlikely to get is the old style Pre XJ40 suspension subframes with the inboard brakes- so I guess it wont offer quite the benefits of the older school Jags in that regard.

I don't know if anyone here has driven the older series 3 style or old gen XJS style cars with inboard and noticed the difference it makes? A good back to back comparison would be an XJS with inboard vs a later variant with the XJ40 style outboard. I wonder if anyone ever noticed the difference

In theory it is supposed to offer better ride AND handling.

I think Jaguar went away from it due to difficulty in service and leaky seals on diffs contaminating discs. The Alum-Ceramic Rotor would offer some of those benefits without the drawbacks.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Not so much what I did to my car, only cleaned it out, but I did open up the old diff that went bang!

Not a pretty sight, the pinion gear was missing teeth!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-20160316_120551.jpg  
Old 03-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Started to remove the front right vertical connector (hub). All nuts come off really easy. Actually, too easy. Just the 'cones' have rusted in place... Time to use a FBH! Instead I'll use some wedge thingies to avoid damaging the boots...

Am looking forward to getting my rotbucket rolling again.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On Tuesday, I picked up my XJ8 from the mechanic's. I had the valve cover and oil pan gaskets replaced, a new battery, and new shocks/struts on all four corners, along with a cooling system pressure test. I went with Monroes, because they wanted $450 each for Bilsteins, and I just couldn't stomach that right now.

She's not clunking and rattling any longer, but now sometimes, there is a groaning noise from the rear passenger side. Sounds like the spring seat bushing may not have enough grease on it?

Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts
Default XJS

Arranged company for the Vanden Plas.
Now I am sure my free time is gone ....

Name:  DSC08502.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  278.0 KB

Last edited by ericjansen; 03-17-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Eric: you are really into pain (?). Had a buddy (a Brit SAS guy running security for shipping off Somalia) had one of these: his New Jersey mechanic was able to send his daughter to Yale!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Eric: you are really into pain (?)
Yeah, Sold my left kidney already, and have options on the right one, and my liver, and my ...

But seriously, I am totally insanely hooked by that V12, and how the Jaguar technicians arranged the control systems around it in the pre-electronics age.

I know it is insane to buy such car, but I simply had too ...

Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Yeah, Sold my left kidney already, and have options on the right one, and my liver, and my ...

But seriously, I am totally insanely hooked by that V12, and how the Jaguar technicians arranged the control systems around it in the pre-electronics age.

I know it is insane to buy such car, but I simply had too ...
Welcome to the XJ-S club! No Jag engine can beat that marvellous piece of engineering! I adore my V12!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

Finally got the vertical connector (hub) off at the front... Those ball joints are dreadfully corroded but not worn. Now just time to replace the bearing.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,020 Likes on 741 Posts

Sprayed off a half inch thick layer of lime green pollen (got to love being down south in the spring lol).

Old 03-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Ordered the sub repair surround (the other thread just got me realizing I really did need to just do that and get it over with for now. Hopefully before my trip next Fri). Also ordered up some Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze from the recommendation of someone on here a little while back. See how shiny I can make it look for the ride! Was thinking of installing the hitch tonight, but I might wait until Sat morning in the daylight so I can take some pictures along the way.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Eric: you are really into pain (?). Had a buddy (a Brit SAS guy running security for shipping off Somalia) had one of these: his New Jersey mechanic was able to send his daughter to Yale!
Looks in pretty good nick ;o)
First thing you do is get rid of that fugly Leaper!
No place for them on an XJS ;o)
And those stainless wheel arch embellishers are the greatest creator of rusty
arches imaginable!
Like any car with an engine this size, you have to have a game plan to
operate on it.
They are just like any other engine....only there is more of it ;o)=)
The V12's have a few quirks of there own but once sorted and maintained
to a level of which it will be accustomed...they are a real jewel....I feel sure the VDP will be in good company ;o))

Old 03-18-2016, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjay8
First thing you do is get rid of that fugly Leaper!
Thanks.
The leaper, the Daimler badge on the rear (yes, really!) and the arch trims are the less of my problems .... and yes, they will need to go ...

Will bring this baby back to showroom condition in the next 2 years (she is in worse condition than the pictures show), target date 13 May 2018.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fitted this........

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-image.jpeg  
Old 03-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

i broke the end of my shift cable on the transmission side. anyone have a used one for sale? XJR x308

Old 03-21-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Installed new MAF sensor (lately, showing higher than normal LTFTs, ~+7%, both banks; although near zero STFTs). New unit by Izumo, $20 on eBay. Seems to be smoother; trims still ~ +6.3. Under load, above 2000rpm, close to zero.

Last edited by Jhartz; 03-21-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Replaced front brake pads and switched wheels (front with back). While doing so fixed that annoying scratchy sound that bothered me for long time... turned out to be a big dry oak leaf that got stuck there... (no need to replace the bearing :-) )

Old 03-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Arranged company for the Vanden Plas.
Now I am sure my free time is gone ....

Oh my, what a beauty...

Old 03-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Installed new MAF sensor (lately, showing higher than normal LTFTs, ~+7%, both banks; although near zero STFTs). New unit by Izumo, $20 on eBay. Seems to be smoother; trims still ~ +6.3. Under load, above 2000rpm, close to zero.
Jim - Were you experiencing rough idle while in gear?
Scott

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?