XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Did the kit come with bolts for the new secondary tensioners? If so, the old ones you take out could be used for the primaries. Just done this job myself, very happy now, but mine had done 164k miles, and just had cracks.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Thanks for the tip! Found that out today when I was working through it. Got the broken bolt out easy and finally got to just do a step by step tensioner job without any more issues. Naturally the replacement Victor Reinz front outer gasket didn't fit, so hopefully the old outer won't leak.

I'll reassemble cooling stuff tomorrow after work and, fingers crossed, start her up and hear a nice, quiet, smooth supercharged jag v8, as it should be.

For some fun in the meantime, here's pics of the front cover after I took it to work and spent a bit of time scrubbing away at the front cover. Cleaner than it ever has, and ever will be!

Almost factory fresh.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Well, after a few more incidents of ASC track unavailable and its inevitable (and major PITA) limp-home mode and after cleaning, inspecting and testing the wheel speed sensors without much success, I've finally taken her back to Nigel, here at British Eurotech, after about three years since he worked on this same problem last.

Positive responses from various members who claim not having had such bad experiences with this issue kind of give me hope to stay and not to divorce her after all... I want this car, what can I say? I sure hope that Nigel can kill those gremlins so I can continue progress with a few upgrades.

If things work out, the tired, but not damaged, paint will get either a nice buffing, or better yet, get wet-sanded in a similar fashion as my XJS show car was achieved (although that was on new paint). Man, that Zircon paint would probably look absolutely phenomenal. Also getting the sagging headliner taken care of and just maybe new leather on the front seats, probably not cheap. BTW, how much should I pay for the new leather seats?

Cheers,
Time to respond to my own post here.
Well, I guess that my tip to the shop that I was keeping the car from going in limp home mode by keeping a certain minimum speed/rpm's with the gas pedal gave Nigel enough info to suspect an erratic pot in the TPS. He changed the pot and, luckily, the problem totally went away.

So, now I can proceed with the "goodies I promised her" if she (my XJR) started to behave again by no longer giving me those unpleasant moments that limping home can hit you with at the most unexpected moments. Fixing the sagging headliner, buffing and wet-sanding the paint to concourse perfection, new leather to the front seats, plus a few mechanical upgrades for starters is the least I can do to keep my word...

So no, the XJR is not going anywhere anymore. Too much love...

PS:
The XJR is supposed to be a powerful car i.e. like kind of a "muscle car". As such, it does get difficult to call the car a "she" and it also gets difficult to say that you "love her". You just don't "love" a muscle whatever, even if it is a car. Would somebody please share his/her shrink for a little help here? Thank you....

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
Jennifer S Flavell (06-14-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

[QUOTE=
So no, the XJR is not going anywhere anymore. Too much love...

PS:
The XJR is supposed to be a powerful car i.e. like kind of a "muscle car". As such, it does get difficult to call the car a "she" and it also gets difficult to say that you "love her". You just don't "love" a muscle whatever, even if it is a car. Would somebody please share his/her shrink for a little help here? Thank you....

Cheers,[/QUOTE]

You need to give an XJR a masculine character! ;o]

Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
Thanks for the tip! Found that out today when I was working through it. Got the broken bolt out easy and finally got to just do a step by step tensioner job without any more issues. Naturally the replacement Victor Reinz front outer gasket didn't fit, so hopefully the old outer won't leak.
If the timing case is undamaged in the seal groove and the old gasket seals are in good condition, there is no reason why you can't re use them after
carefully cleaning.
I would wind up the seals and immerse them in a dish of auto transmission
reviver fluid for 24 hrs to rejuvenate the seals....carefully wipe them clean
and mount them without any sealant. Only use silicone sealant where
they meet the head face.....I assume you have fitted a new crank seal?
If all this has been followed, it should all be good, remembering to
torque the mounting bolts at no more than 8Nm in the correct sequence.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
Sounds like a reasonable explanation. In that case I'll replace both bolts for that tensioner, and maybe the other primary, since I think my kit only came with bolts for the secondaries. Is there a special bolt needed, or just any bolt with the correct thread and length?
I would suggest that while you're in there, I would be taking the sump off to check for debris and any clogging of the screen attached to the oil pump.
After having a look at other posts....it's got me wondering about mine ;o))

Old 06-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

No reason not to refer to your XJR as a female. She clearly is, based on the lines and curves or her body.

No problem mixing power and beauty as female strength has shown. G Look at any of the female starlets in fantasy and or science fiction films.

We all seem to have an affair with our Jag's thats different from the ownership we have with other cars . Spending money on them that our wives (or ex-wives) would rather have.

Common, admit guys. You've stared at your Jags much more than you have with other cars. I'd get my face slapped off if I looked at a sexy women like I have my Jag.

Have any of you had a glass (or 3) of wine while listening to music and admiring your car? Cold beer works just a good with appropriate music. Washing them is even better. Feeling the fluting, the gentle and extreme curves.

I felt better hearing Jay Leno does the same thing after he buys a car. When he did a video review of the 2008 XF SV8 he said he can gain the measure of a design in 20-30 mins but with Jags, it's a full bottle of wine and a couple of hours, always seeing something new that he missed before. He quoted that line "Washing a Jaguar is like bathing a beautiful women. Your hands keep ending up in interesting places"

PS:

Cheers,[/QUOTE]

Old 06-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

My XJ is male... Practicle cars (saloons/sedans, estates/wagons and trucks) are male. Cats withblittle purpose are female... Like converts, coupés, roadsters, etc.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Much appreciate the "moral" support, guys...
Actually, I remember that, way back to before participating in car forums, I did refer to cars in general as a "he", like another "guy". Then, I began to see how people called the car a "she" and "her", especially because most of this forum activity has been on the XJS branch and XJS guys do tend to call their kitties a "she". Soon I realized that I was doing the same, but it's time to take the XJR back to its "David" sculpture status, rather than.... a "Venus"?

Cheers,

Old 06-06-2016, 01:44 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Cleaned / protected all of the plastics and wood inside the cabin. Need as much UV protectant as possible this summer!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Started it up for the first time since starting the tensioner job, and didn't screw too much up doing so! Puked out about a third of my coolant through the new water pump's gasket, and noticed my crank pulley is fairly wobbly. Also noticed both left side bleed hoses are leaking a bit - one from the PO's negligence, and one from my own... but it runs and doesn't rattle anymore!

Going to order a new split collet for the pulley, since the previous one was questionable, and hope that fixes it. As well as dig through all the hose part numbers out there and get some bleed hoses.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi
I have a 2000 XJR with adaptive shocks (CATS).
A few months ago my car start to make some noise on the front, clunk over the small bumps.
I made some investigation and found the shocks lower bushes in bad shape and the Anti roll bar link. I change them but the noise was there.
When i changed the shock bush i check them to see any oil lick or shock aging but found nothing. the sound was more pronounced in the morning or cold weather.

Today i found the problem, the noise was coming from the shock absorbers I found it by unplug them. The error come on my display but i remove the adaptive dampers computer fuse and all are OK now. The suspension it is stiffer now but i like it.
If any one have the same problem and have electronic shock absorber on his car he can check by unplug only one shock absorber, or remove the first fuse a 20 A locate it on small fuse box on engine compartment

Hope this will help other with the same problem annoying clunking noise

Best regards

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 05:32 AM

After a few hundred meters the error is on again, so the connector from the Adaptive control must be unplugged. I will disconnect tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by gabrielbecheanu
Hi
I have a 2000 XJR with adaptive shocks (CATS).
A few months ago my car start to make some noise on the front, clunk over the small bumps.
I made some investigation and found the shocks lower bushes in bad shape and the Anti roll bar link. I change them but the noise was there.
When i changed the shock bush i check them to see any oil lick or shock aging but found nothing. the sound was more pronounced in the morning or cold weather.

Today i found the problem, the noise was coming from the shock absorbers I found it by unplug them. The error come on my display but i remove the adaptive dampers computer fuse and all are OK now. The suspension it is stiffer now but i like it.
If any one have the same problem and have electronic shock absorber on his car he can check by unplug only one shock absorber, or remove the first fuse a 20 A locate it on small fuse box on engine compartment

Hope this will help other with the same problem annoying clunking noise

Best regards
Did you replace your upper shock bushings too? That is also a source of "clunk." Never heard of the CATS system itself causing the noise, but I guess it is possible.
Vector

Old 06-12-2016, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vector
Did you replace your upper shock bushings too? That is also a source of "clunk." Never heard of the CATS system itself causing the noise, but I guess it is possible.
Vector
No, the upper shock bushing are in very good condition. The clunking noise is gone when the shocks are in whitout any electrical connection.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Yesterday I replaced the fuel pump. 2 hours and $28 later, back up and running.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Probesport
Yesterday I replaced the fuel pump. 2 hours and $28 later, back up and running.
$28 for the pump?! Or just for incidentals during the change? Admittedly I haven't priced them today but that sounds like a steal!

Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 AM

The price was for the pump and filter sock. Its a pretty common pump, used in many ford applications. Actually most in tank fuel pumps are similar, its the flow rate that changes more than anything.

I am considering adding another as a redundant pump as the provisions all seem to be there for the XJR, just need to make a switch setup.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

My XJR is definitely female. For the guys who think a XJR should be masculine because it's a "muscle car" I would like to point out there are more then one way to be aggressive and authorative without resorting to brute strength. Take myself for example. I am retired military and a woman. Do you think I would have been able to do 20 yrs in a male dominated military environment if I didn't have my own set of "brass *****"? I take **** from no one and can command attention with just the tone of my voice. As I went up in rank and had younger troops under my authority the guys definitely knew who was in charge and not to mess with me. Woman can most definitely be "strong" we just do it in a different way and usually get labeled as a bitch or ball buster because of it....lol.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:07 PM

So now our cars have gender identity issues?

Sheesh.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?