XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRman
Had valley hoses replaced because they were leaking. New U joint is on order as well.
Can anybody recommend a bike rack from experience? Has anybody used a roof rack?
I'm going to get a Thule Raceway Pro 3 rack for my trunk soon. It's really nice, locking ratchets, steel cable straps, and an integrated bike lock. I debated doing a hitch setup but I'm leaning more towards trunk-mount for simplicity and price.

I work at a bike shop and I've kind of become the go to guy for rack questions or teaching people setup. Thule and Saris make good racks, the Raceway is a bit higher end but for simpler trunk racks the Saris Bones is a good go-to choice. For hitch mount, those two manufacturers and Kuat make good racks. Lots of options there for features and price points, so it's all on what you want..

Also your bike fork's on backwards.

On topic, brushed off some dust and noticed a few more minor paint defects and scratches which seem to be slowly becoming more noticeable over time. Not sure if I just never noticed them or they were filled with something that's washed out. Started looking for lawyers to help deal with title issues the PO has been stonewalling me on for a while..

Last edited by nilanium; 11-15-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
I'm going to get a Thule Raceway Pro 3 rack for my trunk soon. It's really nice, locking ratchets, steel cable straps, and an integrated bike lock. I debated doing a hitch setup but I'm leaning more towards trunk-mount for simplicity and price.

I work at a bike shop and I've kind of become the go to guy for rack questions or teaching people setup. Thule and Saris make good racks, the Raceway is a bit higher end but for simpler trunk racks the Saris Bones is a good go-to choice. For hitch mount, those two manufacturers and Kuat make good racks. Lots of options there for features and price points, so it's all on what you want..

Also your bike fork's on backwards.

On topic, brushed off some dust and noticed a few more minor paint defects and scratches which seem to be slowly becoming more noticeable over time. Not sure if I just never noticed them or they were filled with something that's washed out. Started looking for lawyers to help deal with title issues the PO has been stonewalling me on for a while..
Thanks for the suggestions, but I was really hoping for roof rack. Oh well, I guess it's going on the BMW then. Thanks for the heads up on the fork as well. Ironically the shop had taken it apart so they can take blame haha. Sorry to hear about issues with previous owner hiding defects

Old 11-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 872 Likes on 719 Posts

I used a trunk lid rack and doubled up the harnesses for safety using soft wash cloths to protect the finish. I think it was a cheap one from Walmart that I had been using on every car since my 98 ZX3.

On the RR Sport: a Thule from the trailer hitch.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Eh the paint defects are no biggie, minor scratches that can probably be polished, and it's got bigger paint issues which I was aware of at purchase, so it was to be expected. The titling issues are the larger concern, it's been months and I haven't been able to drive the car past the end of my street because of that...

Old 11-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Celebrating 7 years today with the XJR

Still have a long, long list of things to finish, but so far I've managed to:
- Upgrade the stereo - front speakers, sub, amps and install. No headunit yet though
- Replaced the old worn beige interior with black, from another car, plus a few tweaks to make it fit
- Tinted the windows
- Acquired Arden sideskirts - still not fitted
- Acquired Mina lowering springs - not fitted yet either
- Acquired Brembo calipers - also not fitted
- Acquired BBS Detroit wheels - you get the picture...

Still need to buy disks, pads, lines and new tyres for the brake and wheel upgrade, but that's all on hold for a little while as my partner and I bought a house earlier in the year, and want to get on top of the mortgage first.

I've put about 50k kms (about 31k miles) on it over those 7 years, spent ridiculous amounts on servicing, parts and general maintenance, including a new throttle body and diff... a lot of which I wouldn't have been able to do without the help of all of the fine folk on here

Looking forward to the next 7 years!

The following users liked this post:
Mark Murphy (11-27-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Took the brake pedal sensor out for cleaning, as I am still bothered with the check rear light message.
Not the nicest job, but easier then expected.

Got rid of the message for almost 3 years, but recently it is playing up, and the sensor is about the last thing which can cause it.
Time will tell.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Ordered a used aux pump off e-bay, which will arrive right after the first significant snowfall has hit, and the temps have dropped into the 20s/30s. So that should be fun.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Took the brake pedal sensor out for cleaning, as I am still bothered with the check rear light message.
Not the nicest job, but easier then expected.

Got rid of the message for almost 3 years, but recently it is playing up, and the sensor is about the last thing which can cause it.
Time will tell.
You've just reminded me that I meant to take that item out my old XJ8 before I sent it to the scrappers, a useful addition to my spares. Oh Well!!

Old 11-22-2016, 07:38 AM

I got it stuck trying to back out of the driveway in the mud under the snow, which, awesomely enough was a great opportunity to cake the inside of the driver's door in mud from the spinning tires while trying to push it backwards. So now I get to admire it's beauty in a 3/4 shot, since that's the angle it's now sitting between the driveway and the lawn, while awaiting the mud to freeze on the door panel. Yay winter!

Old 11-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

polished the wheels

Mark Murphy (11-27-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmedina2005
polished the wheels
WOW, nice job! Looks great!

Old 11-22-2016, 04:31 PM

Well, I did manage to get the car out (Guess that tow hitch comes in handy both ways), and wiped off SOME of the mud from the door card. But my aux pump was delivered today, so hopefully in the next day or two, I can have heat again! Still slightly annoyed, but it is what it is. And the only casualty was the empty box of cat litter that I kicked across my snowy yard when it didn't give me enough traction.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:59 PM

Today, I'm thankful for the heat that I now have again.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

The new (used) aux pump arrived many days early, thank you Euroline Auto on Ebay. $59 and about 10 minutes of work (if that?) and I had heat before the temp was even halfway to normal. Now I just have to get new tires next week, and I'll be golden for winter.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Today, I'm thankful for the heat that I now have again.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

The new (used) aux pump arrived many days early, thank you Euroline Auto on Ebay. $59 and about 10 minutes of work (if that?) and I had heat before the temp was even halfway to normal. Now I just have to get new tires next week, and I'll be golden for winter.
have you got a link to that listing or a brand to search on?

Old 11-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Today, I'm thankful for the heat that I now have again
Amen

Old 11-24-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by plums
have you got a link to that listing or a brand to search on?
I pulled it up off an ebay search, but here's their direct website:

EuroLine Auto Dismantler

They are a salvage place it looks like, that specializes in upscale brands. So they're used parts, but genuine OEM parts off cars from what I can tell. They do have another listed atm, $95.00, from a car with less miles than the one I got, but they're tested, and they do have a warranty according to the paperwork that was sent in the packaging with mine. I live in upstate NY. I ordered it Fri, and had it Tues, so I sure can't complain.

rocklandjag (12-28-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 872 Likes on 719 Posts

I think you would also have been happy you didn't break a toe kicking a box of cat litter!

Old 11-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Changed the tranny fluid on a friends XJ8... Came out dark brown. Yummy...

Old 11-26-2016, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
I think you would also have been happy you didn't break a toe kicking a box of cat litter!
I would've been happier, since it would've meant it was full and would've given me something to gain traction with. Sadly, it was empty, flew 30 feet, and didn't help me in the least

Old 11-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I haven't done anything with mine for a few weeks now, the frosty weather has arrived. When I look out and see the car turned white with a coating of ice, I don't feel inclined to get out there and have a play.
However I have finally raised enough funds to have my wheels refurbished, so I may have that done in the coming weeks, just need to find a set of wheels I can sit the car on whilst they are being done.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?