XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What to do when you find a potential engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What to do when you find a potential engine?

Hello there,

I've read some posts about engine swaps however I have a more specific question of the last step before putting the new engine in, buying the engine.

I found a 2001 vdp v8 engine however the guy said that the only problem it has is timing. After they replaced the tensioners the timing went out of sync. Ofcourse, the engine is already out of the car so no way of listening to it or testing it out.

Are there any specific things to look out for? How to listen to the pistons when you turn over the engine by hand and how to even do that? Other signs the engine is bad? I'm really taking a risk buying a cheap engine which I do not really know anything else about other than the owner's information who is playing his part to sell the darn thing.

My budget is really low and I want to sell the jaguar, but no one is willing to buy a jag with a knocking 'diesel' engine. This could be my only option other than parting it out....

Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Why did they remove the engine in the first place?

It's always a risk buying a second hand out of vehicle engine from an individual seller because you have no come back, and no way of really testing for wear, knocks, etc.

Yes you can remove the plugs and see if the engine turns freely.

If a piston has hit a valve, you would probably discover it, but not be 100% certain.

You can strip and re-time the engine, following the replacement tensioner part of the proceedings.

If he replaced the tensioners without locking down the cams then there could well be major problems.

I'd look for another engine, rather than spending time and effort on one that you know to have problems, possibly major.

Either way, it will cost you money. Understand budget constraints, it might be time to walk away from the Jag and buy a low cost runner for transport. Or find a rear end running wreck and buy the whole car.

At least you would have all the major parts for spares.

A V8 Jag is a lovely car to own and drive, but it is not a low budget affair.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The seller told me he would take it back if there are any major problems. I'll try and take a look at it clearly, perhaps small camera into the spark plug holes to see for any wear on the piston's itself. It's going to be a risk but right now I really do not have a lot of choice. I could presumably combine my current knocking engine with this one so I don't need to buy any parts unless both are badly damaged. First need to find out if they are exactly the same as I heard there are two type of engines in the 99 xj, the aj-26 and 27.

Thanks for the advise.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

ALL normally aspirated 4.0 AJ27 engines 1999 -2003 XJ 1999 - 2002 XK will bolt into your car without modifications.
If the VVT actuators stick through the cam covers, it is the correct engine.

bob gauff

Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 6,321 Likes on 5,508 Posts

I'd be very wary of that engine, he's told you just enough to sound scary.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

X2 what Norri said...

Thus far, my experience dealing with people trying to sell their motors - make/model doesn't matter:

1. Don't believe a thing they tell you, they're trying to sell a product, of which you cannot verify anything, they're lying
  2. Assume the worst - you're going to have to tear it down and go through it
  3. It's been wailed on
  4. It's been poorly maintained
  5. The seller knows nothing about these motors
  6. The seller knows nothing about the history of the motor
After looking for one of these cars for a year, I've noticed a trend. Jaguars seem to depreciate at a negative exponential rate. This leads to multiple owners and owners who buy one to wail the **** out of and then dump. I'd run a Carfax on the car that motor came out of and see which number owner the current owner happens to be. As the number of owners increase, the list gets longer.