XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What have I done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What have I done?

Okay, so today was the big day...cleared and cleaned the partial load fitting and orifice, cleaned the air filter housing and air filter to throttle body tube, cleaned throttle body, cleaned MAF, installed new air filter and installed new fuel filter. When starting twice to check for fuel leaks (had leak and had to replace o-ring in fuel line the first time), the engine ran beutifully smooth. Satisfied with my efforts, its was time for cleaning.

As my engine compartment was very dusty, I decided to rinse the engine department thoroughly. Then washed the car thoroughly. About an hour later, asked wife to move car and she said that a "restricted performance" message was lit. Another hour later, to the Vandy down the highway for about 20 miles, stopping and shutting down at the halfway point, and it ran great. But still the 'restricted performance' message.

What have I done?

Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Crosbo, you used the garden hose to spray the entire engine bay didn't you? That is a big no no with the newer engines. Odds are, you got some water inside the plug wells and now the plugs are shorting out through the water, giving you the restricted performance issue. may be possible you also get some water inside the sensors on the throttle body. Hopefully with a little bit of getting the engine up to temperature, it will evaporate the water out of the problem areas and all will be good.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep Thermo, that is exactly what I did. That's why I was kinda hoping driving at highway speed for about this miles would "dry" it out...if that was what was causing the problems.

Hopefully your suggestion of what can/will happen with the 'drying out' will still take place.

Man, these are some finicky babies. Having BMW's, Mercedes (gas & diesel), a Volvo and a Saab...and my Powerstroke, I'm quickly finding this XJ to be perhaps the most 'delicate' of the group. Never-the-less, my enthusiasm continues to grow.

Thanx again.

--tom