XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What to look for buying 2002 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What to look for buying 2002 XJ8

Hi,

New to Jaguar's, but love them and found a 2002 XJ8 with 64,000 Miles that looks nice. What should I look for when buying? What are the typical bad spots, warning signs and problem areas?

Thanks,
DP

Old 10-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

The main "problem" with the early X308s is deterioration of the plastic timing chain tensioners which can fail and lead to valve/piston clash, but metal tensioners were fitted/retrofitted from late 2001, so the 2002 you are looking at should have the later metal type, but it would be worth checking. This can be done by removing the right/passenger side valve cover.

The front shock mount rubbers deteriorate over time, more so on low mileage vehicles due to being stood for periods of time. They can be easily visually inspected and are cheap and easy to replace.

The rubber mounted drive shaft carrier bearing and associated rubber couplings deteriorate over time and can cause a vibration between 50-70mph, be sure to check this out.

The thermostat housing is plastic on the N/A XJ8/VDP and should be replaced with a aluminum type. Not easy to do as the two rear bolts holding the housing are difficult to get to.

The inner roof lining can sag at the rear of the cabin. Be sure to inspect it.

They have a habit of eating fuel pumps, and it is not an easy job to replace the pump, just so you are aware.

The ZF5HP24 5 speed automatic gearbox can suffer damage to the "A" drum and there is an aftermarket "Transgo" replacement pressure valve to prevent this. Not an expensive upgrade, but something you should consider if it hasn't already been done.

Any 18 year old vehicle can suffer from deterioration of various suspension/steering bushings and the X308 is no exception, you may have to replace some bushings, maybe not, but check for even tire wear and consistent steering, etc.

The rubber, liquid-filled motor mounts can deteriorate with time, usually a good sign they are failing is evidence of a purple-colored fluid leakage around the mounts and/or a slight vibration at idle/just over idle.

The VDP version is 6 inches longer than the standard XJ8 creating more leg roof for rear passengers, plus it has more exterior chrome, better leather interior, upgraded stereo system, and more veneered wood/rear picnic tables, etc.

As with most older vehicles It is best if you are mechanically inclined and can carry out much of your own repairs, alternatively find a knowledgeable local independent mechanic. Dealerships and "Specialized Exotic European" shops can charge exorbitant repair prices.

At just 64,000 miles the example you are considering should be absolutely immaculate, and have a detailed, documented service history available.

Be sure to check for any codes with an OBDII device.

I assume that being from Newfoundland your vehicles suffer from corrosion, a full under body inspection for rust would be advisable.

Keep us informed how things work out............

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 10-05-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Rust rust rust is the enemy of these cars!, mine looked ok some rust which usual, but when she was coming up for mot I started poking around!!, OMG the rest is history I elected to repair mine and still at it! Nine months later almost done, mechanical as long as it's had some regular maintenance should be good with sort of mileage, good luck.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:25 AM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

You would be lucky if it has metal tensioner check for rattling while driving and check the transmission if shifts smooth and take it for a drive in the town to see how good is the suspension system i think that's the major things to look in this car . If you can get with low price get it its very good car

Old 10-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 613 Posts

Oh, and a further addition to my earlier list............make sure there are three ignition keys that come with the car, 2 regular black keys with remote fobs, and a green colored valet key.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
The main "problem" with the early X308s is deterioration of the plastic timing chain tensioners which can fail and lead to valve/piston clash, but metal tensioners were fitted/retrofitted from late 2001, so the 2002 you are looking at should have the later metal type, but it would be worth checking. This can be done by removing the right/passenger side valve cover.
And without taking the valve cover off, you can check the engine assembly date engraved on the motor to see if it came from the factory with the upgraded tensioners. I don't recall the exact date but IIRC it was like mid-August of 2001 and its documented here in a thread on this forum. With 2002 model year production starting in July that year and still using some leftover motors, probably the first couple of months of production may have gotten the old plastic tensioners. Otherwise, yes, we've all retrofitted our earlier XJ8s with the metal secondary tensioners, but unless the seller can provide maintenance records to that effect, you'd have to remove the valve cover to confirm.

The following users liked this post:
Mikejag1 (11-13-2022)
Old 10-06-2019, 12:16 PM
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

QUOTE=pdupler;2135793]And without taking the valve cover off, you can check the engine assembly date engraved on the motor to see if it came from the factory with the upgraded tensioners. I don't recall the exact date but IIRC it was like mid-August of 2001 and its documented here in a thread on this forum. With 2002 model year production starting in July that year and still using some leftover motors, probably the first couple of months of production may have gotten the old plastic tensioners. Otherwise, yes, we've all retrofitted our earlier XJ8s with the metal secondary tensioners, but unless the seller can provide maintenance records to that effect, you'd have to remove the valve cover to confirm.[/QUOTE]

Per info on this site, engines built after August 13, 2001 had factory installed metal tensioners. The location of the date stamp is described in the attached link. It's easy to see if you remove the left front wheel. My 2002 XJR has an engine build date of September 6 , 2001 (010906). The car build date on the door sticker is September 2002. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tion-s-207188/

As an aside, the fuel pumps on my car died while sitting in the storage building. I purchased the car on line. It was trucked from Florida to Texas in July. It was moved off the truck under it's own power and parked in the storage building until September. When I went to retrieve it I charged the very low battery and attempted a start. No fuel to the engine....both pumps stone cold dead. From what I've read, if they haven't been replaced, there's a good chance they're going to fail. (Only one pump in an XJ8)

Last edited by 64etype; 10-06-2019 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikejag1 (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 04:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purchasing an X308 2003 - need guidance

Hi all. I'm new to the forum but so glad since there's such great information here. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2002/2003 X308 from an independent salesperson who purchased the car at auction. So it Has decent maintenance history (I think) but high miles (200,000) Yikes! But I have purchased several well maintained high mileage cars with no issues (Jaguar excluded hence my ned for some advice). Recent repairs include: 1. Water pump replacement. 2. Oil pan gasket replacement. 3. Thermostat replacement. 4. Wheel bearing and hub's replacements. 5. Rear axle seal replacement . 6. Oil changes done religiously every 6K miles. 7. Wheel bearing seal replacement. 8. Valve cover gasket replacement 9. Drive belts changed. All service documented on Carfax. I checked for rust (none) and she drives exellent. I'm fairly handy with cars but relatively new to Jags of this vintage & leery of the V8. I've heard great things about the straight 6 and test drove one but this V8 is intoxicating I must say. It's a cheap buy ($1700). Any thoughts/advice?? Wasn't sure if the plastic timing guide still existed on the XJ late 02/03 models and would like to confirm if these are still steel bodies. Thanks guy's. Great forum!