XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

what...no front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what...no front speakers

well after all this time of enjoying the sounds of the stock alpine jaguar system, now i only have rear speakers. The amplifier tested ok using a spare speaker hooking directly to the amp output connector. The door speakers and tweeters are good too. Has anyone else ran across this problem?? Wires have resistance so all is good between amp and speakers but no output. Nothing at door wiring but the what bothers me is the entire front has no sound?? hmmmm any thoughts

Old 07-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by stkxjrtech
well after all this time of enjoying the sounds of the stock alpine jaguar system, now i only have rear speakers. The amplifier tested ok using a spare speaker hooking directly to the amp output connector. The door speakers and tweeters are good too. Has anyone else ran across this problem?? Wires have resistance so all is good between amp and speakers but no output. Nothing at door wiring but the what bothers me is the entire front has no sound?? hmmmm any thoughts
I know this is going to sound Really Bad, so Please don't take it wrong, but have you checked your Fader Setting?

Again, Please don't take it wrong, I used to work in IT helping non-tech people, so I'm used to starting from the beginning.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fader?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Ok, lets troubleshoot....

The amplifier tested ok using a spare speaker hooking directly to the amp output connector.
>>To the front speaker output?

The door speakers and tweeters are good too.
>> how did you test them?

Wires have resistance so all is good between amp and speakers but no output.
>>Do you mean they have continuity (little or no measurable resistance)?

If you have signal at amp, low resistance from amp to good speakers, no low resistance (short) between wires, then you have sound, So, I am with Supersport. Check your fader setting.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

STK, take a look at the speakers themselves. How are the cones on the speakers? if they are ripped at the center of the speaker, then the coil of the speaker will still function, but you will get no sound. If in doubt, get a second set of speakers, disconnect your current speakers and plug in the temp speakers to see if you have sound now. if you do, then that confirms you have 2 bad speakers.

As for the measurement of continuity for the front speakers, what sort of value where you getting. Where you seeing 0 ohms, 4 ohms, or say 20 ohms? What you are shooting for is 4 ohms (plus lead resistance). Anything else is telling me that there is a problem. The other check that you can do is unplug the connector at the speakers in question and connect your multimeter across the 2 pins with the multimeter set on VAC. When you are playing music, you should be seeing the multimeter jumping around a lot in the 5-10 VAC range (use of an analog meter is best for this case). If you get this reading, then that also confirms bad speakers. You can do a resistance check of the speakers at this point to and you should get 4 ohms. If the speakers check out good and your VAC test is good, then this confirms a wiring problem. But, having 2 speakers fail at about the same time normally is indicative of speakers being driven too hard (ie, listened to at high volumes for extended periods).

If you need more help, let me know. I've been doing car stereo install for quite some time. Gotta love having karaoke in your vehicle.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by johnleavitt
Fader?
By that I mean the Fade Setting on the Radio itself. That's why I did not want to offend. It's a simple thing to check, but possibly something that was overlooked.

The fade setting may be set for ALL Rear. This would cause the problem stated.

Press the "Mode" button that is next to the Volume knob 4 times until it shows "Fade" on the screen. (It will cycle through, Bass, Treble, Balance, and Fade.) While on the "Fade" screen, turn the Volume knob to set it to the middle setting.

I hope that is it, but realize it may not be. Just something simple to verify.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 PM

sorry for the input delay. Its been a busy week already! ok here it goes.. every setting has been tried on the head unit as far as fade, balance, treb, bass and sub. when it is all to the front no sound is heard at all and well side to side is heard only at that side of rear speakers. speaker position is on the all position, kinda thought that might be my issue but no luck. All speakers in the front are functioning correctly when hooked to an outside source, all also around 4 ohms.

I dont have access to any of the wiring diagrams anymore as i quit the jag/rover dealer about 2 months ago after 4 years of being a tech.

The cd changer is tapped into for an rca input source but that should only effect left and right so that cant be it.

A second set of aftermarket speakers were tested but no sound from the car. If you hook directly to the amplifier you have sound. I would trace down wiring but im trying to figure out what killed the entire front.
Could it be the head unit?

Thank you everyone for the help so far, this one has me scratching my head.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

stkxjrtech, what year vehicle are we looking at here. I may be able to get you the wire colors you are after.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM

2000 xjr. that would be sweet if you could do that!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

STK, here are your wire colors

Right front door:
Tweeter/midrange: yellow (positive), Yellow/red (negative)

Left front door:
Tweeter/midrange: yellow/blue (positive), orange/yellow (negative)

Hope this helps.