XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What would it cost to have someone do my brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What would it cost to have someone do my brakes?

I am contemplating paying a mechanic to replace the pads and rotors all the way around on my 2003 XJ8. I got an estimate a few months ago for the rear brakes -- was something like $360 for pads and rotors, including labor. I'm taking my car in to have the wheels balanced on Friday and will ask that mechanic for an estimate, too. I also called a guy who did work for me in the past on a different car, and he's going to get back to me with a price tomorrow.

Just wondering - what kind of numbers would be reasonable? I know I could do it myself, and I just might end up doing that, but for now I'm getting some quotes. I might just splurge, but would like to know what kind of number to expect.

Thanks.

Mike

Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

About a month ago, I replaced all four rotors and pads on my VDP, by myself. Rotors are crossdrilled and slotted. It took me about 2,5 hours to do, and the cost was $275.-

The difference that I would pay for labor (even Indy), was about $300. Why pay double? It's a VERY easy job, and fun to boot. Three hundred bucks buys almost four tanks of gas (free gas for a month!).

Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

Oldmike, I also did them myself and posted a picture guide to do them. Ridiculously easy.

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Sometimes I just feel like letting someone else do it.

I have seen your write-up, princemarko. For those who haven't, here's the link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-faq-35063/

It's a great tutorial!

Last edited by OldMike; 02-26-2013 at 09:27 PM.
King Charles (04-03-2014)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

Lol I know what you mean

Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I also did my own on my XJR when I still had it. It was MUCH easier than I expected, and I'm not physically well. It took about 3 hours for me and I move VERY slowly compared to most people. That's start to finish, from finding jacks and stands to putting them away and cleaning up.

COST for ALL 4 Wheels, Rotors and Pads:

Parts Ordered from PartsGeek.com
1999 Jaguar XJR Brake Rotor Brake Price: $56.75 Core: $0.00 Qty:2 Part #: W0133-1618165

1999 Jaguar XJR Brake Pad Set Brake Price: $37.98 Core: $0.00 Qty:1 Part #: 104.03941

1999 Jaguar XJR Brake Pad Set Brake Price: $33.98 Core: $0.00 Qty:1 Part #: 104.06881

1999 Jaguar XJR Brake Rotor Brake Price: $25.98 Core: $0.00 Qty:2 Part #: BR34094

Sub Total:
$237.42
Shipping:
$9.90
Handling:
$0.00
Tax:
$0.00
Core:
$0.00
Total:
$244.32

Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

SuperSport - thanks for the shopping list. I looked at parts geek and saw two rotors with the same part number, one Brembo and one not! I don't have an "R" so my rotors and pads would be different than yours but you gave me a great starting point.

Danielsland -- could you please let me know where you got your pads and rotors?

My stupid question of the day -- do I need to spend nearly $100 per rotor or would it be ok to get the "el cheapos?"

I got my first quote today -- $750 for parts and labor, will discount to $700 if I order all parts at the same time! WHAT? No thanks, just order one piece at a time, I don't want you to order them all at the same time! I didn't ask what parts they wanted to order, but I might do that tomorrow.

Would I be committing a major sin if I just replaced the pads? What criteria would you use to decide if the rotors need replacing? Or is it just what should be done when the pads are replaced? I don't feel any warping and there's no metal on metal noise. I haven't inspected them, but I'd guess they look ok. Would I be cutting a corner that I don't want to cut?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldMike
SuperSport - thanks for the shopping list. I looked at parts geek and saw two rotors with the same part number, one Brembo and one not! I don't have an "R" so my rotors and pads would be different than yours but you gave me a great starting point.

Danielsland -- could you please let me know where you got your pads and rotors?

My stupid question of the day -- do I need to spend nearly $100 per rotor or would it be ok to get the "el cheapos?"

I got my first quote today -- $750 for parts and labor, will discount to $700 if I order all parts at the same time! WHAT? No thanks, just order one piece at a time, I don't want you to order them all at the same time! I didn't ask what parts they wanted to order, but I might do that tomorrow.

Would I be committing a major sin if I just replaced the pads? What criteria would you use to decide if the rotors need replacing? Or is it just what should be done when the pads are replaced? I don't feel any warping and there's no metal on metal noise. I haven't inspected them, but I'd guess they look ok. Would I be cutting a corner that I don't want to cut?
I've been buying "el cheapos" for a number of years now. I've found that the way I drive, I've NEVER overheated my brakes. If you are driving hard, you might want to reconsider.

The rotors can usually be turned, but in my case, I figured the $15-20 spent on turning each rotor was better spent on new metal. I know I may get flamed for buying cheap discs and pads, but I've found that I don't get much more mileage out of expensive brakes than I do out of cheap ones. And I rarely put super tough pads on because they eat up the rotors quickly. I'd rather put good rotors and softer pads and change them more often since expensive rotors are quite expensive. (Down side is more dust on wheels)

That's just my two cents, and I'm sure I'll get hammered for them, but that's what I do. Cheap brakes, and change them every 30-60k miles, or when needed... I've easily gotten 40k +

Please listen to other's posts and then make an informed decision that's right for you.

OldMike (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for you post, you and I think a lot alike on this issue. In fact, I was thinking about going the extreme el cheapo route and only changing out the pads. I've done that a number of times on other cars without any problems, but I'm always open to learning! Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

I purchased my drilled and slotted rotors and pads from an Ebay seller "Cbrakes", from Costa Mesa, CA. CA tax + shipping = $275.-

Brakes feel great, and I like the rotors a LOT. It was VERY simple, and straight forward swap. I also got the full set for my W220 from them. I am very satisfied with the purchase, and the performance of the brakes on both cars. To do TWO cars for a little over $500 is CHEAP! The quality of the parts is NOT "el cheapo". In fact I know that this outfit manufactures them, and sells to the retailers that add their margin on the top.
Whenever I can, I try to eliminate the middle man.

The bonus: my front wheels don't get nearly as dusty as they did before!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by OldMike
Thanks for you post, you and I think a lot alike on this issue. In fact, I was thinking about going the extreme el cheapo route and only changing out the pads. I've done that a number of times on other cars without any problems, but I'm always open to learning! Thanks again.
I've changed only pads many times too, depending on how the rotors are wearing. If you've got grooves, they will not stop well for a long time until they wear in (did this when younger). You can still turn them if they have enough life left. The shop that turns them will let you know. They measure them first.
Originally Posted by danielsand
I purchased my drilled and slotted rotors and pads from an Ebay seller "Cbrakes", from Costa Mesa, CA. CA tax + shipping = $275.-

Brakes feel great, and I like the rotors a LOT. It was VERY simple, and straight forward swap. I also got the full set for my W220 from them. I am very satisfied with the purchase, and the performance of the brakes on both cars. To do TWO cars for a little over $500 is CHEAP! The quality of the parts is NOT "el cheapo". In fact I know that this outfit manufactures them, and sells to the retailers that add their margin on the top.
Whenever I can, I try to eliminate the middle man.

The bonus: my front wheels don't get nearly as dusty as they did before!
It sounds like you've found a great place to buy them. That's a fantastic price too. Hopefully, you will get long life and dependability out of them. Less dust is always a plus, although, I cleaned it pretty often, it would be nice not to have to.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

To answer OldMike's original question, $700 sounds reasonable for complete pads and rotors replacement. I had exactly that done, save one rotor, last fall for $625 after tax. Parts meet Jag specs. Make sure you check for that if you go this route.

95 XJ6

Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

When you are getting the wheels balanced take a good look at the rotors. If they don't show any signs of scoring and there is no ridge at the outer edge and you are not feeling any pulsing under heavy braking then you can change only the pads.

You won't be able to see the inside rotor surface but if the outsides are fine then the insides are probably also fine. I would recommend that you buy high quality pads all around. A small savings on pads is not worth dealing with squeals, excessive brake dust on the rims and longer stopping distances

Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Looking at my last invoice I was charged $145.00 labor + tax for the front pads/rotors - this would have included the brake fluid change and an oil change. This is with me purchasing all the parts/ fluids.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Here in the UK its not uncommon to only change pads if required and leave the discs ( rotors ) alone if all is well ( no scoring, ridges / lips and within tolerances specified )

I've had pads only done many times and generally, pads should last perhaps 2-3 sets to a set of rotors. Pads are designed to be the weak / wear point and they are the cheapest consumables after all.

As far as I know, we don't go in much for turning discs / rotors here in the UK......They either need replaced or they don't, but each to their own

I've only ever used OEM discs / pads on my Audi and although expensive the just last and last, well worth the money IMO.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

I replaced the original pads on my XJR at around 26k - the selling dealer did them -- the rotors were well within spec at that point. I did the rotors/ pads last year around 55k -- all OE parts.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well just had my front pads and rotors done by a real particular mechanic and it cost new $140 in labour. The rotors cost me $160 for the pair and $85 for pads both real jaguar parts.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Winks -- when you say "real Jaguar parts," what do you mean? Did you buy them from a Jaguar dealership?

Also, $140-$145 labor is less than 2 hours at my shop's $75/hr rate, which is what I'd expect. Can't wait to see what he quotes me on Friday. There's always the chance that I'll let him do if doesn't go overboard on the quote.

Thanks to Rocklandjag for suggesting that I take a look at the rotors -- I'll do that.

I'm leaning toward a pad-only replacement this weekend -- done plenty of those, shouldn't take me but an hour or so. The more I think about it, there's no reason to pay $700 for a $250 job when I can spend the time "bonding" with my car in the garage!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

I don't have my parts invoice handy -- I think the OE pads are just over 100 and the front rotors come from Jaguar as a set -- I forget if they are 225 or 275.

The established independents around me all charge over $100/hr -- mine is at $110.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

OldMike - wih the pads removed is a great time to check the wheel bearings. If you feel any roughness or grittyness (easier to feel on the front wheels) or more reistance to turning by hand than on the opposite side it may be an indication of a bearing problem

OldMike (02-28-2013)

Quick Reply: What would it cost to have someone do my brakes?