XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What would you have change if you were in the room designing the X308

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Some things can be cured such as tensioners ( did 'em), thermostat housing and the temp gauge (on my short to-do list). Also will consider catalytic conv's for better breathing. Headliner material feels cheap - would've liked to see alcantara in XJR.

Things that should've been offered from the factory:
LSD - at least as an option on the XJR
Full instrumentation - again, to emphasize the performance upgrade of the R
My Alfas have both and they are 20 years older.
Properly engineered exhaust

Other things:
HID lighting OEM
Heater hoses running through engine valley: Porsche Cayenne has similar design flaw except porsche OEM were plastic. The cheapest repair I could find was $1200. However Porsche realized their mistake and offered a metal tube retrofit. Is there a similar cure for X308?
Ditto on other miscellaneous things such as cheesy Nav, plastic garbage under the hood, in-tank fuel filter, etc.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Oh, another thought was relocating window switches to the center console and use of better looking switches

Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

A lot of good points and a few not so good. My gripe is why did they quit building Jags that look like a Jag (308). The body style for these and the earlier are in my opinion timeless, to always be in style.
Thanks, Dave

The following users liked this post:
Ricop (01-07-2013)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
Exactly my thoughts! I grew up in Europe, and we don't eat, drink, shave, apply makeup, read papers, and everything else Americans do in their cars. When we are behind the wheel, we,.....DRIVE! I firmly believe that most Americans would be involved in a collision within first 24 hours of driving in Italy (and I will not even mention Teheran or Istambul!!).

I'm so happy that I don't have the cupholder in my Jag anymore.
I usually use my cup holders as more like tranportation for them drink. I really dont drink and drive either, still used to the old BMWs and MBZ that didnt have them and being in Germany. Yeah they do not do anything of that stuff and guest wondering why the Mercedes 420SEL dont have cup holders. I just simply say it doesnt need any. Last thing I need is for some ham fisted guest to spill stuff when they are not going to stick around to clean it up.

Plus people try to do too much when driving or doing everything but driving and cause lots of accidents.

Yeah I know driving in Italy, man, you have to be on your top game there. I dont think most people I see on the road here would survive there without killing someone. Hell, they kill enough people here (ELP again) with the slower speed limits like doing crazy tactics that make you wonder where did they get their lisence from like stopping i nthe middle of the freeway instead pulling over, running red lights while staring at green lights, driving slow as molassas, while taking up two lanes, last minute slam on the brakes right hand turn with no blinker, the El Paso famous, burn rubber to pull in from of you fro ma side road and then slow down to 20 mph (no exageration.) and of course the other famous El Paso hit parked cars and either drive off because of lack of insurance or stay around and have no insurance (50% non-insured motorists on road statistic and that is not including the Mexico plated vehicles which are not required to have insurance when crossing the border. They can hit you car, drive off, and leaving you SOL).

I think they should make the DL process as extensive as they make it in Germany here. There are too many people here that need a little retraining. I'm not talking about stuff that is little either, I mean stuff that any driver even a teenager know is not a bright idea. I think this is the only city where I been that the average teenager drives better than the adults.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Move that dang parking brake!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

a redesign of the trunk
better cup holders
cup holders in the rear
now i know the car was designed for RHD, but my foot keeps pressing the side of the foot well next to the gas pedal, so i guess im saying is i would like there to be more space there

Old 11-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by burmaz
I think I might be one of the only people on the planet to do this, but I autocrossed a VDP. The car was the crowd favorite since a VDP was a fish out of water. Even with the N/A engine though, I was spinning the inner wheel constantly.
OMG, PICTURES plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by D. Fite
A lot of good points and a few not so good. My gripe is why did they quit building Jags that look like a Jag (308). The body style for these and the earlier are in my opinion timeless, to always be in style.
Thanks, Dave
You and I both... Was in the Naples Florida showroom and the XKR looks like a 97 Toyota Supra and the XJ looks like the mating of an Inifinit and MB E class. XJ how ever is getting a 4cyl Turbo in 2013 and a option for a 6cyl SC. The 308 was IMO the pinnacle of English Jaguar. I would have designed a better cold air intake. I have a 3.5" Long swept 90 coming out of the TB mandrel bent ending in a insulated metal box behind right headlight and it is IMO a huge difference. Removing the flat 90 out of the TB was a winner

Ricop (01-07-2013)
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlover
I have a 3.5" Long swept 90 coming out of the TB mandrel bent ending in a insulated metal box behind right headlight and it is IMO a huge difference. Removing the flat 90 out of the TB was a winner
Can we have a look at it?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

You and I both... Was in the Naples Florida showroom and the XKR looks like a 97 Toyota Supra and the XJ looks like the mating of an Inifinit and MB E class. XJ how ever is getting a 4cyl Turbo in 2013 and a option for a 6cyl SC. The 308 was IMO the pinnacle of English Jaguar. I would have designed a better cold air intake. I have a 3.5" Long swept 90 coming out of the TB mandrel bent ending in a insulated metal box behind right headlight and it is IMO a huge difference. Removing the flat 90 out of the TB was a winner

I had the XJS many moons back, and I recently decided that it was time for another Cat. I could've gone out and bought a new one, or ANY year used one I wanted. So I looked, and I looked, and I decided (as many of you said), that the "last real Jaguar" (that still looks, and feels like one) is x308. And anything newer than this, does not give me a feel of driving one.

And after that decision, it was just matter of deciding between XJ8, XJ8L, VDP, or XJR. And, I failed in my research!! After I bought my VDP (decided that the long wheelbase is a must for me, and the real leather trumps the vinyl, not to mention "grey poupon" little tables in the back!).

Love my cat, don't get me wrong, but.......after I fell in love and took her home, I found out that there are supercharged VDPs!! (I LOVE the performance, stance, and the agressivness of the XJR, but I LOVE the room, and the plush interior of the VDP!). Well, it's too late now. We have a good relationship now (my cat and me), and I will not get rid of her just because I found something more exciting.

So the devious plan was hatched! My wife drives S430. She likes my cat,......convince her to dump the Benz, and we get the supercharged VDP!

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Last edited by danielsand; 11-09-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Rlover (11-09-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Can we have a look at it?
Sure will get a picture today

Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

OMG, PICTURES plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I had pictures but I autocrossed it way back in 2006.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
I had the XJS many moons back, and I recently decided that it was time for another Cat. I could've gone out and bought a new one, or ANY year used one I wanted. So I looked, and I looked, and I decided (as many of you said), that the "last real Jaguar" (that still looks, and feels like one) is x308. And anything newer than this, does not give me a feel of driving one.

And after that decision, it was just matter of deciding between XJ8, XJ8L, VDP, or XJR. And, I failed in my research!! After I bought my VDP (decided that the long wheelbase is a must for me, and the real leather trumps the vinyl, not to mention "grey poupon" little tables in the back!).

Love my cat, don't get me wrong, but.......after I fell in love and took her home, I found out that there are supercharged VDPs!! (I LOVE the performance, stance, and the agressivness of the XJR, but I LOVE the room, and the plush interior of the VDP!). Well, it's too late now. We have a good relationship now (my cat and me), and I will not get rid of her just because I found something more exciting.

So the devious plan was hatched! My wife drives S430. She likes my cat,......convince her to dump the Benz, and we get the supercharged VDP!

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Good idea I like the way you think.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default D. Fite

Originally Posted by D. Fite
Thanks, Dave
I agree. Have a 1999 XJ8 burgundy in color. Some guys in the jag Club have older/newer cars but mine is the best looking one. Vanden Plas is the way to go.
maggiedozie