XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

what year XJ8´s to get without engine problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a 2002 VDP vin F41736.. REPLACED the plastic upper timing chain tensioners at 64k...they were plastic and cracked.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your VIN falls within the range of VINS listed by Jaguar as being troublesome; my VIN is 42877 and falls outside that range. If I've figured this all out, and I'm certainly not sure I have completely, I probably have the 2nd generation plastic tensioners since the build date on my car is pre-August 2001. Jaguar obviously thought these were better, but there seems to be some question as to how much better. I'll put the metal ones in as soon as possible. Seems like lifting the exhaust cam to slip the new ones in is the best way to do it.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"The first steel-lined AJ-V8 came off the production line In the year 2000 on August 18th at 10.43am hence the engine number will read:
00 08 18 1043 or more precisely:
0008181043"

(All quoted from the link below.

Found that info here-->> http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNikasil.htm

My car was made that month! LOL, have to check my engine number to be sure. (Tensioners were done as scheduled on it)

The say the engine number can be found here:

"Engine number on V8 is under the black plastic cover, stamped on the top of the block to the right hand side of the front of the engine, near the lifting bracket."

Quoted from the same source as above.

Tom
2001 Athricite VDP

Last edited by tjb909; 06-01-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would not let Nikasil stop me from buying a suitable car.
Virtually all of the Nikasil engines have failed by now and the symptoms are easily checked (excessive blowback).
Nikasil, when intact, is technically superior to steel liners and will wear much less!
The secondary tensioners are replaced easily and probably should be done on any high mileage engine, steel or plastic tensioner bodied.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Tensioners & Nikasil

My 2001 VDP has a Nikasil engine. I found the engine number under the left hand exhaust manifold - looking through the left front wheel well with wheel off or turned all the way right. It starts with LL. I never could find it on top of the engine. I also had plastic bodied tensioners, which I replaced with the metal bodied ones. I only did the secondary tensioners. I also replaced the water pump with the metal vaned one, and the thermostat while in there. I think I'm good to go now for a long time. I don't mind the Nikasil, in fact, I've heard some guys say the steel liners were a compromise over the original Nikasil. But the tensioners and water pump are potential time bombs in an otherwise beautifully designed engine.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Have a read of this, by an ex-Jaguar development engineer: -

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/v8_performance.php

Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan R
I would not let Nikasil stop me from buying a suitable car.
Virtually all of the Nikasil engines have failed by now and the symptoms are easily checked (excessive blowback).
Nikasil, when intact, is technically superior to steel liners and will wear much less!
The secondary tensioners are replaced easily and probably should be done on any high mileage engine, steel or plastic tensioner bodied.
I should have said that all of the susceptible Nikasil engines have failed by now. The majority(?) are running just great.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Default engine problems 2000 xjr

Hi everyone. i am new to this site i just bought a 2000 xjr that was build in 07/2000 i bought the car on 9/12/10 for 7k very nice car but i heard that they have problems on certain engines my last six numbers of the vin is F20526 does that vin fall in to the category of bad engines can any one answer my questions? and today i just had the engine cool light on it didn’t seem that i was low on anti-freeze but i still added some and its still on any suggestions is this something serious? i also checked the dip stick for oil it was a little low so i added one quart but when i opened the engine cap i could see the steam coming out a little and i live in Florida it was around 88 degrees today so its not that it was cold is it normal?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Default 2000 xjr engine problems, coolant low

Hi everyone. i am new to this site i just bought a 2000 xjr that was build in 07/2000 i bought the car on 9/12/10 for 7k very nice car but i heard that they have problems on certain engines my last six numbers of the vin is F20526 does that vin fall in to the category of bad engines can any one answer my questions? and today i just had the engine cool light on it didn’t seem that i was low on anti-freeze but i still added some and its still on any suggestions is this something serious? i also checked the dip stick for oil it was a little low so i added one quart but when i opened the engine cap i could see the steam coming out a little and i live in Florida it was around 88 degrees today so its not that it was cold is it normal?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes, by virtue of the fact that it is a 2000, you have both plastic tensioners (assuming they haven't been replaced already) and Nikasil.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wazari
Nikasil motors were installed in '98 and '99 models. Nikasil if not abused, (overheating, high sulfur fuels used) is actually superior with regards to wear characteristics than steel liners. Nikasil is an extremely hard and wear resistant coating if properly taken care of and I believe has a bad rep not mostly justified.

Early generation tensioners and chain guides were an issue. I am not sure exactly when they switched to the lastest versions from the factory and I believe upgraded parts were made available after the last X308's finished production.

It really boils down to how well maintained the car was. Tensioners wear out and even the latest version installed from the factory are probably good for about 120K miles.

The main concern is the transmission. It the same 5 speed ZF tranny used in Bimmers and MBZ also. The are also good for about 120K miles before they need a rebuild.

I know one customer with a '99 XJ8 with 245,000 miles. Nikasil motor, compression is still strong across all cylinders and no more than 4% blow-by in the weakest bore.
I am looking at a loaded one owner 2003 X308 xj8 with 147K on it. Car looks & runs like new. Price is under $6,000 and it's a beautiful car. I am concerned that you are saying that after 120k the engine & trans have reached their lifes end and will need to be replaced or rebuilt? I have had several cars with over 150K and everything was original , Engine, trans etc. Are Jags this poorly made? I hope I am wrong here. BMW's go 200K plus without a major failure and I don't think they are as nice a car.

Would you say don't buy a Jag withover 120K on it?

Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I have an 01 XJR. No nikasil but plastic tensioners. From Cutyler's post I understand there's a retrofit. How much would this cost? BTW, can anyone suggest a solid mechanic in SFV/Los Angeles area?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Few weeks ago I rolled the dice. Found a 98 VDP with 80K on the clock, in great condition. Will need some paint (fading from AZ sun where it came from), and driver's seat redye.

It has Nicasil engine, and I'm still not sure on the tensioners (I am a third owner, and the previous one could not answer the question). Anyway,.....the thing PURRRS! No rattle on the startup, no blowby,....nothing. I WILL open it up, and change the secondary tensioners ASAP if they are the 1st gen.

I have a lifetime experience in working on all kinds of engines, and it seems to me that not all tensioners were bad (bad batches maybe?), or.....the end result (tensioner failure) depends on the oil used, frequency of the oil changes, and/or engine temperature. I know a guy who has over 150K on the 98 XJ8 and it's all original. Plastic tensioners, and Nicasil, even the plastic thermostat housing.

So,.....for the piece of mind, everyone with the plastic stuff should replace it ASAP, but that did not stop me from buying a good car at the good price. My "problem" is,.....I just don't like the body style of the 2004+ XJ8, and when I went shopping for one, nothing in the 2002-2003 years was available with low miles. I don't know why, but 1997-2003 body style is the one I like, and as these cars got progressively smaller, I just don't like them. IMO, the 97-03 style is the last of the "old school" Jaguar design, and that's what I wanted. Now,.....what I would REALLY like, is VDP (long wheelbase, plus the interior) with XJR drivetrain!

I will gradually restore this one (custom paint, interior, engine upgrades, brakes upgrade, etc.), and keep it for many years.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that Nikasil engines have 6 digit car chassis numbers - whereas the steel linered engines are 5 digit car chassis number.

Chassis number can be seen through front left lower windscreen - by A pillar.