XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wheel stud replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheel stud replacement

so I have to replace one of my front wheel studs... Can I just beat it out and remove it from behind or am I going to have to remove the hub.. Basically is there enough room behind the hub to get a stud in and out?

Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 13,300 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnypuppy_22
so I have to replace one of my front wheel studs... Can I just beat it out and remove it from behind or am I going to have to remove the hub.. Basically is there enough room behind the hub to get a stud in and out?

Hi skinnypuppy,

I have not done this job on an X308, so I'll defer to others who have, but the X308 wheel studs are the same part number used on the XJ40s, and the brake rotor disc splash shields have a similar gap for the brake caliper, so I believe you can replace the stud without removing the hub.

Turn the hub to position the stripped stud in the gap, then see if you can drive the stud out with a heavy hammer. You don't want to damage the wheel bearing, so if the stud doesn't want to move, consider cutting off the threaded shaft with a reciprocating saw or hack saw, then see if the head of the stud can be driven out with a punch and hammer. If not, you may have to drill through the head to weaken it.

Once you have the old stud out, clean the hole with a battery terminal wire brush to remove any corrosion that may interfere with the new stud seating properly.

If there isn't enough room to fit the new stud in from the rear of the hub, you can grind off one edge of the head at a bevel to provide more clearance for rotating the stud into position. To draw the stud into place, just install the wheel and lug nuts and carefully tighten the nut on the new stud until the stud is seated, then loosen the nut and retighten to the proper torque.

For future readers who may find this thread because they have a stripped rear stud, note that while the front studs are splined, the rear studs are threaded and peened and cannot be driven out with a hammer, so surgery is required.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
XJRay (01-06-2017)