XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

When did you get hooked?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default When did you get hooked?

Hi all,

It would be fun to hear where and when you all got that Jag-fix that left you hooked. Were you raised to love them? Or the quite the opposite? Did a friend own one or did you see one in a movie?

I clearly remember when I got mine. It was back in 1996 and I was fourteen. My dad had borrowed a titanium grey XJ 4.0 Sovereign from Jaguar Stockholm over the weekend. He never bought it (probably decided it was too expensive) but that weekend left me with a crush on these cars that has never gone away. The cream interior, the leather stitching, all the little chrome details that were real chrome and not plastic. I had never seen anything like it and didn't stand a chance.

In 2007 the inevitable happened – I bought my first Jaguar. A black -97 X300 XJR with just 55000 km on the clock. Three years later I sold it and decided to give the X350 a try. After finding a 2.7D in Hamburg, I went down and bought it.
The love affair didn't last tough. Despite the fact that the 350 was a brilliant car – and a decent looking one – something was missing. One year ago i realized what it was. The styling of the X300/308 is in a class of its own and the impression it made on me that snowy weekend fifteen years earlier was impossible to forget. So, I sold the 350 and started over. After finding loads of cars for sale in Sweden, I stumbled upon an Aspen green 2002 4.0 Sovereign with only 13000 km listed in Köln, Germany. I ignored the fact that airplanes in general and Ryanair in particular scares the living crap out of me. I booked a ticket, rented a tiny Hyundai i10 and drove in Autobahn-tempo to mr Jansen in Brühl to buy my third Jag.

Thats it. The story of my lif... jags. And the fact that I remember all this but not my first kiss says a lot about how very deeply disturbed I am.

The following users liked this post:
Ipc838 (01-03-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

The year was 1969. I just finished the elementary school in Belgrade, Yugoslavia (my Dad was a US diplomat at the time) and my parents sent me over to London, to spend two weeks of summer vacation with my Aunt (she lived in Kilburn - London suburb, and she died over there decades ago), before I return to the States to attend the highschool.

My Aunt was 32 years old at the time, and she owned E-Type roadster. I drove FIATs, and Mercedes up to that point (Mercedes under Dad's supervision, and FIATs with the friends that "borrowed" them from sleeping parents back in Belgrade). The Jag was DIFFERENT! It "talked" to me. And my Aunt let me drive it on the open English roads that unforgetable Summer of 69.

I returned to the States (parents were transfered to Germany at that time), in time for Woodstock. Three days of partying, drinking,...... made love for the first time to an "older" woman (she was 18!) that "borrowed" a Jag from her parents (it was an S-type/420)!

We enjoyed this Jag like no other car was ever enjoyed before.

And I was "hooked". Tried all kinds of cars,....you name it, and I probably owned it in some corner of the world. I spent 20+ years in the uniform, and lived in some places most of you have never heard of (or the cars that were available at the time/place). Stayed a long time in Germany, and tried hard to love the German cars (owned three S class - still own one, two BMWs, three Porches, and a VW Bug - my first German car), but the "Summer of Love" was beckoning.

I love my VDP to death, and I am her last owner. I own several cars, and after I got out of the military, I pretty much grew up. I don't change cars that often any more (women are entirely different subject!). I will soon add the 2003 XJR to the stable, but I haven't found one yet that meets my pretty high criteria. And once the "little Kitty" joins the stable, I think I'll be set for life. Porches are still in my veins, but I don't like crawling in or out of them any more. I like older cars (in the Jaguar lineup nothing newer than X308 captures my interest!), very old Scotch, Cuban cigars, and younger women. And I pretty much have it all (although Cuban cigars are getting harder to find these days!).

Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I got hooked working at a butchers shop in '71 the Bookies shop was next door he drove a metallic brown XJ12, with tan leather interior.
Always had an umbrella and a shooting stick on the back seat with a sheepskin coat. my first XJ was an 85 XJ6 metallic brown with a tan interior

Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was about 4 when my dad bought an old S type. Cream with red interior. It's the first car I can remember. I can still smell the leather and see the miles of wood and rows of toggle switches. I also remember hours spent by the side of various roads waiting for the tow truck, but to a kid that was an adventure.

It was probably the car that turned me Into a petrol head for life. It was also the first car I ever crashed - dad left me in the car while he went into a shop, and I found the handbrake.,..

Thirty-some years later, after any number of heart-over-brain car purchases, I impulse bought an 84 XJ6, and it's been downhill ever since.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

I always loved the SIII XJs from the first time I saw one. I bought MGs and Triumphs because I thought the Jags were too expensive. I found a 10 year-old XJ6 in 1995 and grabbed it. I've been hooked ever since. I kept that car and intended to be buried in it until the rust came back after what I thought was a quality rust fix and respray. So after 13 years I donated it to charity still running like a top. I replaced it before I gave it away with the 2001 VDP. I never really liked the XJ40s and not too crazy about the X350s, X300s are okay, but the X308 is just right.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

my first memory....my 24 year old Mum shutting the door on a Series 1 E Type roadster with her foot while carrying shopping into the house, I was 5.

Another is of shooting model tiger tanks at the back of the garage, while sat on the roof of a series 2 E Type coupe, with a BSA air-sporter with my Dad, I was 6.

At 18 I started a classic Jaguar parts business, buying breaking and selling Mark 2 parts. In 2 years I broke up over 20 of them along with dozens of 420's, Mark 10's, S Types.

I've restored and worked on more than I can remember, at least one in the family since I was a child, I guess I had absolutely no choice in the matter of what car to buy when I got my license....a TWR XJS V12 that I modified, that car ruled the world until I parted it out. Yes they come and go, but always will be my number one.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I was hooked as soon as I saw it under the tent at a volvo dealership. We were there to look at volvos, but we soon realized that the XJR was at least twice the car of the S80 for half the price...the rest is history

Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

This is an interesting thread.

My first Jaguar memories had to have been a model
XJ220 my parents bought me in the late 90s, and
perhaps the XK8 convertible in Need for Speed III.

I was never interested in the XJ series until I learned
that I couldn't have an XK8. The styling of that car
has been with me since I was very young. The XJR
is a fantastic car, with an inviting air of luxury,
a baroque feel, and an unparalleled character, but
I fell for the XK initially.

The XJ may be a car for an adult, but it is an under-
stated beauty that has, (in the case of my XJR at
least) surprised a 930 Turbo 911 driver, a 2013 550i
driver, an Evora (370bhp) driver, and more. Fast 4ds
can put a smile on anyone's face! And among fast 4ds,
this is the most charming.

I could write 3000 words but it is time to stop.

Ian

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Thank you all for great and extremely entertaining stories. Very different from each other too. But it seems it started early for most of us. And that none of us can imagine continuing living life without owning at least one jag.

I must admit I have tried to get into both second hand Porsche 911's, Mercedes and Maserati Quattroporte - all cars with character. But it just won't work. I have grown to fond of the Jaguar world. Of a brand that manages to be both cool and old world classy at the same time. Of cars that manages to be both drop dead gorgeous and discrete at the same time. No other car pulls that off in the same way.

My only problem is that I don't know what to dream of now. I am 6 feet 6" and I will never fit in a Series 1 E-type or an XK120 (the prettiest E and XK i.m.o). The XJC is nice though – if I could find a nice one that isn't falling apart. Or an XJS. The new XK and XJ still needs to grow on me.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ianclements
...and
perhaps the XK8 convertible in Need for Speed III.

I remember that too, good ol' NFS III, I spent many a long hour at a compaq desktop computer with a 15gb hard drive playing that game with the USB steering wheel and pedals, XK8's probably the car I used the most until I unlocked the XJR-15

Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well my story isn't as good as some of the other members. But my love started last year when I purchased my Onyx white XJ8. I payed 3000 USD for the car thinking I was going to make it a quick flip. I honestly never jaguars a chance and I wanted another BMW. But as I drove the car I slowly fell in love with it, I started putting money into the car fixing its flaws and I realized I don't really notice any other vehicles anymore. There is a certain refinement to jags that no other car brands have.
About a week ago my jag was T-boned at an intersection (not my fault) and was completely totaled. I have bought the car back from the insurance company and plan on parting it out. My plan is to purchase another onyx white x308 XJR but they are hard to find with that color.
I'm hooked bad and will love the Big Cats for a very very long time.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I already got hooked when I was a little boy around 10 years old. That was in the mid-seventies. From time to time a Jaguar stopped in our little town and it always was something special to me. No matter what it was: an E-Type, a Series II saloon, or an XJ-S or Series III in later years - these cars were so different to all other cars of their time. And they always emanated class, character and luxury.

Since boyhood I always dreamt of owning a Jaguar some fine day. Last year in September I made the dream come true.

edit:

Funny thing: Brühl, where ChristianXJ bought his Sovereign, is a direct neighbour city of my hometown.

Last edited by Highway Star; 01-04-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: corrected minor mistakes
The following users liked this post:
sandy85 (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

got hooked in 95 when my dad brought home a brand new rose bronze VDP for my mom

granted i hated the color....the car was on another level

Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SkinnyLard
Well my story isn't as good as some of the other members. But my love started last year when I purchased my Onyx white XJ8. I payed 3000 USD for the car thinking I was going to make it a quick flip. I honestly never jaguars a chance and I wanted another BMW. But as I drove the car I slowly fell in love with it, I started putting money into the car fixing its flaws and I realized I don't really notice any other vehicles anymore. There is a certain refinement to jags that no other car brands have.
About a week ago my jag was T-boned at an intersection (not my fault) and was completely totaled. I have bought the car back from the insurance company and plan on parting it out. My plan is to purchase another onyx white x308 XJR but they are hard to find with that color.
I'm hooked bad and will love the Big Cats for a very very long time.
I looked for an onyx white XJR for 6 months and gave up and bought my Silver cat. I really likes the chrome grill on the white XJR's

Old 01-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Always loved the look and class of Jaguar. I've had two Mercedes Benz S class and i do love them but Jag just emulates old world class. From the leaper to the wood panels to the dual exhaust. The lines are just smooth and flowing and not to mention the quickness and power!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Hooked

I don't really know when I came to appreciate the Jaguar but probably in the 70's. The XJ6's and XJS were great looking autos. I have driven a few XJ8's in the past 15 years but just couldn't bring myself to buy one.(thought they would be too expensive to keep up I suppose). After I retired a few years ago I started looking again. I knew it had to be an 02 or 03 because they were the last of the true styling of the XJ's(IMO). I finally found a 2003 Vanden Plas that is in practically new condition and such a pleasure to drive.
Dave

Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, my story is a little different. I never thought to much about Jaguars, primarily because I always assumed they would be priced way out of my comfort zone. I have had an MG and a TR6,but I always leaned towards American hot rods. Recently I did some work on a customers T-bucket that had a chrome Jag rear end. I needed some parts for the Jag rear and I started by looking on Ebay. My search was kind of general, so the results included some actual cars, not just parts. One of them was a 2002 Carnival red XK8 convertible. I thought, wow, that is sure a sexy looking car. I know they cost a bunch when new. I was surprised to find that at 10 years old they are not that expensive. I knew the reputation for being unreliable and high maintenance. But just like a beautiful lady, it could be worth it. My wife said "you might as well get it out of your system" So I bought it. So, I guess that makes me a newbee to the Jag world ,,but I am having a lot of fun learning about my "new" car.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Ralf, that is really a coincidence! Wesseling is so close. Of course, mine also came with a BM... licence plate. Had I known there was a beautiful Daimler right next door I would have gone there too . Next time I pass through in the Jag I'll honk and see if you are in town!

Sandy85, that is a brilliant plan. I would like to do the same one day. Find a perfect spec XJR and have it rebuilt, every nut and bolt (SeanB-style). The question is which firm you should go to? I don't know anyone who has experience in restoring such modern cars (except from SeanB then)? That said, I know the problem with having to use the car all the time since I have used my previous jags as daily drivers. This last one, I only use in summertime though. And still, even though I treat it like a baby (or a pet), it has already gotten two slight door dings (but luckily I've discovered painless dent removal).

Finally, vaguely related (and I guess it goes both ways):

Woah... Woah... What's New Pussycat? - Classic Driver - MAGAZINE - Classic Life

Last edited by ChristianXJ; 01-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a proud owner of my 99 XJ8 since July of 2012. Now i will start by saying i was raised on Cadillacs. Thats all my mom has ever driven. Im only 28 years old but Ive rode around and grew up in lacs all my life thanks to mum lol. Anywho, it all started when I took my mom car shopping with me...at first I was looking at nissans..hondas..you know the regular vehicles lol. My mom said you are 28 yrs old with no children child! its time you get a luxury car..when you have one youll realize theres nothing like luxury. When i saw my chrome beautiful 99xj8 i went bezerk! when i test drove it, it was like driving through the gates of heaven! It felt so heavy..and secure..like a tank!! even though ive had a few issues with my kitty..had to replace water pump..upper hose..overflow hose from tank..and now the heater hoses, i can truly say im not sure if ill ever drive another vehicle again! lol theres nothing like it! and being a female i am learning so much about cars! pretty much all i do at work now on my free time is cruise this jaguar forums and read posts all day! this is awesome! lol and that is my kitty story! love you all!

The following 2 users liked this post by metalgoddess:
Jennifer S Flavell (12-15-2015), sandy85 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Next time I pass through in the Jag I'll honk and see if you are in town!
Send me a PM when the time comes and we'll meet!

Quick Reply: When did you get hooked?