XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

And while I'm at it! - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts
Default And while I'm at it! - RESOLVED

Not to misuse the warm welcome I got on this forum, but there is one small "problem" that puzzles me (excuse me if it was covered before, but I didn't find anything on the subject), and I have to ask.

When I lock the car with the remote, there is no blinking from the red light on the dash (not sure if the anti theft works or not!), and when I hit the button to unlock it, passenger side mirror goes in the "backup mode" (to show the curb as you back up, just like on my Benz), but it doesn't come up again, and I have to bring it up with the control on the driver's door. Normally, (I assume) the mirror should go down as you shift in the reverse, but it does it immediately when the car is unlocked.

Is this a known problem, or something simple is out of whack? Like I said, it's not a big "problem" , but I'd like to have EVERYTHING on the car functioning as designed. If anyone had the same issue, and can post the solution, I'd be gratefull.

Last edited by GGG; 10-16-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  19.3 KB

No misuse of the "warm welcome" or the forum danielsand...........Its what we're all here for....to help!

Sorry I can't but no doubt someone with way more knowledge than I will chip in soon......Good luck

Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

It sounds like someone set the memory button for a very short person. When you set the memory button, it sets the door, both mirrors and the steering wheel. If you reset all three I imagine the mirrors will be where you want them when you press unlock. (The remote is tied to one of the memory settings- 1,2 or 3.)

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

The car does not automatically point it down in the
case of reversing. If you are in reverse and push
the down side of your mirror control, the passenger side
will auto down, and auto-up once you move into P, N, or D.

The following users liked this post:
dsnyder586 (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you ianclements, I always wondered how to do that.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 PM

I was going to edit this in, but for the sake of
real-time readers....

The red light flashing question: When you lock the car
(thus arming the security system) the only immediate
flash should be from the hazards button in the centre
console.

Then, an intermittent security red light will come from
the J-gate (shifter) assembly in the centre console.

It will blink if the car is in passive mode (doors closed
but unarmed) or when the car is in active mode, when
the system is armed. I read this whole section of the
manual, and I feel like some of the security things
in there contradicted my car. Then again my manual
was for a 2000, whereas both my XJs were 2002/2003.

I haven't read my '03 documentation yet!

@dsnyder586... glad to be of service! One more tip...
the right hand mirror will point towards the ground
whether the driver's mirror or passenger mirror is
selected (Left or right on the switch). Which is not
useful if you are parking on
the left side of a one way street.

JimC64 (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
It sounds like someone set the memory button for a very short person. When you set the memory button, it sets the door, both mirrors and the steering wheel. If you reset all three I imagine the mirrors will be where you want them when you press unlock. (The remote is tied to one of the memory settings- 1,2 or 3.)

Negative.

I reset the seats, steering wheel, and the mirrors right away when I got the car. With the key in the ignition lock (not turned), I programmed the remote by pressing one of the keys on it, and got the audible tone to confirm it. But the pass mirror STILL goes down (WAY down) as soon as the unlock button is pushed. After reading this forum, I started the car, door open, shifted in reverse, touched the "down" on the pass mirror control, and it went down (but not WAY down as it does on it's own). When I shifted in drive, it came up! So I thought I got it. Well,.....turned the car off, closed the door, locked it, hit the unlock,......and the mirror behaves as before! (goes WAY down, that even the circus midget would have a problem seeing anything) So what gives?

This is not a big issue, but the puzzling one nevertheless.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM

The setting of the memory, danielsand, does not automatically
link with the remote. You have to do that yourself. You might
have the #2 remote, and be recalling an alternate memory.

Reference your manual to find how to make your key set recall
your memory specifically.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 PM

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but after reading similar posts this is what I learned:

Once the steering wheel, seats, and the mirrors are in the position I want them, I press the MEMORY button, red light turns on, I press #1 (or any other one), and within 5 sec, I press any key on the remote that's dangling from the key in the ignition lock (but the key is not turned!). The audible tone is heard, and that confirms that this particular remote is set for (in this case) #1 memory setting.

Is this correct?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

CLOSE. Two separate things we are talking about-

1. setting seat/mirror/wheel presets. (1,2,3)
2. pairing remote with car. (1,2,3)

They are two different programming instructions, not to be done at the same time.

1. Put key in ignition and turn the car to the on position (don't start)
1a. move seat, mirrors and steering wheel where you want them
1b. press memory button (will light up red)
1c. press number you wish to program to (1,2,3) I personally have 1 and 3 the same, my wife gets 2.

2. program remote- I dont recall how, but it is in here somewhere in a post. The order in which you "pair" the remote to the car dictates the number it corresponds to when you set your seats etc.

EASIEST way for you to go is to program all three memory buttons to your liking- the remote will then be set for you. Then switch them one at a time for your wife, noting which one corresponds to your fob.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 PM

Daniel, it is 1/5 of a mile out to the XJR, and I've been
scanning JF for 10 minutes now. That sounds about
right, but I have yet to confirm that procedure.

Next step is to check the switch connector in the door
handle I guess. This sounds like an electrical problem
which may source from the switch, but I'm just speculating
at this point, sorry.

This post is now obsolete! See dsnyder's post above.

@dsnyder586: 586 posts! What do you think of that??

Last edited by Ipc838; 10-15-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: dsnyder has come in with assistance!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

looks like everyone beat me to the punch, if you have you owners manual it will tell you exactly as dsnyder is saying, your remote is linked to a memory position, try un-linking it, and get back to us

Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Nope.

Followed the procedure for pairing the remote (one of them), and BOTH remotes activate the pass mirror along with the door locks. If there was a problem with the remote been set up for a short person, it would've moved seats, other mirror and/or steering. And the other remote would not be acting in the same way.
It's some electronic glitch, and I can't believe that I am so "lucky" that nobody experienced this behavior before.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

On my 1999 XJR, I set Seat, Mirrors, Wheel, etc, then press Memory, then select a number 1-3, then I press a button on the remote within a couple seconds as danielsand stated. I then do the same with my second remote. They both get programmed to the corresponding numbers. It's all done in ONE step on my 99 XJR like he said.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I see this problem every now and then. Its a programming/mirror motor potentiometer fault. Try what i do and it many times takes playing with it. Move the mirror all the way down and sitting in the car lock the car an unlock it with it all the way down it wont go anywhere and after doing this and operating the mirror ive been able to reset it and get them working properly again. Usually takes several attempts and playing with it. I cant say for sure whats wrong or "exactly" what fixes but the above is where i start, and voila it quits dropping to reverse backup position(I cant stand this, i dont want to look at the tire on the ground! I want to see if the back fender is about to hit something you infidels!!!)
And another thing to try is this, run it all the way up and lock car with you inside and then unlock, when it runs down it should satop about middle, reset memory to this and see if that works, like I said it takes some playing

Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks SuperSport, I stand corrected.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Problem solved! Thanks to all that replied. I took bits and pieces from several people, and it worked!

First, .....I disconnected the battery. Crossed the possitive cable (DETACHED FROM THE BATTERY!!) with negative (ALSO DETACHED !!), and rebooted the car. Hooked the battery back, and DEPROGRAMMED the remotes as described in the owner's manual,.....and VOILA! The annoying mirror is not showing the curb any more, unless I want it to.

Thank you all again.

GGG (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
Problem solved! Thanks to all that replied. I took bits and pieces from several people, and it worked!

First, .....I disconnected the battery. Crossed the possitive cable (DETACHED FROM THE BATTERY!!) with negative (ALSO DETACHED !!), and rebooted the car. Hooked the battery back, and DEPROGRAMMED the remotes as described in the owner's manual,.....and VOILA! The annoying mirror is not showing the curb any more, unless I want it to.

Thank you all again.
Thanks for confirming problem solved.

I've added RESOLVED to your thread title so anyone in future searching for the same issues knows this thread has the answers.

Graham