XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

White Smoke, not coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White Smoke, not coolant

Ok, I replaced the head gaskets on a 1998 Jaguar xj8. Got it back together. White smoke at start up. No codes.
No sweet smell coming out exhaust pipes and no bubbles coming from over flow tank.
Could I possibly hook up a coolant hose wrong?
Car fired right up no other issues. Again No Codes. Need Help please.

Old 04-08-2024, 02:52 PM
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Wrong forum, but - Too early to tell. My experience is it takes a few hours to burn off all the mix stuck in the exhaust. I would just keep monitoring temp, coolant levels, oil (for mix) and exhaust smoke. It should burn off if all is well. BUT keep an eye on things - wouldn't hurt to even squeeze and feel the hoses to make sure all else is normal.

If it is still smoking do a exhaust in coolant test - you can rent the device at Autozone (have to buy the chemical).

So, too early to tell, but smoking is normal if coolant got to the exhaust side. One more thing, make sure the cats are not clogged up - happened to me once with a Volvo. Prior owner ran it too long with a bad HG.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

I agree, give a good long drive around the neighborhood. If its still running fine and doesn't appear to be consuming coolant, get it out on the freeway to make sure all is burned off before panicking. Coolant is my nemesis when working on cars. Spills seem to go everywhere. Sometimes that white smoke can look like its coming from the exhaust and make me freak out but is in fact dripping off of the transmission or valley onto the hot exhaust and the fans are blowing it back along the exhaust pipe underneath the car. I'm sometimes even smelling coolant for a couple of weeks after a messy job. (I was kind of excited about the prospect of working on an EV until I saw that they use coolant too.) Post back if its still evident after an hour of driving and we can commiserate about what else it might be. But fingers crossed for now.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 756 Posts

EVs scare the crap out of me for a different reason.....
I've worked with electricity all my life but the thought of an 800V DC battery system now being used in some EVs......get yourself across that and you will almost immediately become the missing link (fuse link) anthropologists have been searching for!
Any hand tool unfortunate enough to bridge across that supply will likely instantaneously become a mist of white hot metal.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 819 Posts

You’re likely to have some remnants of it in the exhaust. Once you burp out the cooling system and it’s up to complete running temperature, put it in sport mode and take it up to redline a few times. It should clear out if everything went well.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:37 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
EVs scare the crap out of me for a different reason.....
I've worked with electricity all my life but the thought of an 800V DC battery system now being used in some EVs......get yourself across that and you will almost immediately become the missing link (fuse link) anthropologists have been searching for!
Any hand tool unfortunate enough to bridge across that supply will likely instantaneously become a mist of white hot metal.
I "suspect" that they are arranged so the connections cannot be "gotten across" without extreme effort, but still..

One standard-issue shop rat went up the unused air-vent tubes of an ancient Linde 400 Amp DC stickwelder during 'dinner' break of our second-shift machine shop krew at a mining and rail repair job shop... "back in '64".

Welder went back on the clock, Linde powered up, and the rat got all the heat he ever coiuld have asked for.
Bones were but carbon trails, if even. The STENCH as a mere few ounces of truant rodent detonated had a few guys nearest puking, and most of the rest of us hitting the nearest exits to open air 'at a combat speed'.

"Stick and fry DC" under every housewife's lovely hams? Not really the sort of dreams that warm only the heart, is that?

Old 04-09-2024, 03:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinman
Ok, I replaced the head gaskets on a 1998 Jaguar XJ8. .....

I've moved the replies to your original thread in X350 forum and then deleted that thread. All replies are now here.

Graham