XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

who wants to play virtual jag technician?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who wants to play virtual jag technician?

Got this 98 XJR about three months ago. I've driven her about 6,000 miles so far with no warning lights or performance issues. I bought the car as a replacement for my 95 XJ6, and truthfully didnt fully research the nikasil and tensioner issues. I think I got lucky and got a well cared for car... But since I dont know if the tensioners, water pump, and all that have been taken care of...It kinda puts a damper on the whole thing. I've checked the airbox it was clean and dry. Theres no smoking out the tail pipes, the car doesnt seem like it takes a long time cranking..No oil usage to speak of, and in sport mode she runs like a 600 cc motorcycle LOL So I guess Im OK on the Nikasil...

Ive been listening to the engine for so long now, especially on cold starts...that Im not even sure what Im hearing anymore. I asked the local service writer at our local Jag Dealer...he said the techs mostly just listen to the motors when the cars are in for service. What Exactly am I listening for?

OK I made a video of my car from a cold start on this rainy tuesday...will y'all listen and see what if anything you hear? Also my car DOES make a squeal/whine when it is warmed up. It's mostly at Idle...Put a lil rpms on the engine and it goes away..

Anyway, I was hoping Brutal or Jagtechohio or anybody that might have experience check out the video and give me their thoughts... Thanks.

XJR Pilot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnSqZ2h5J8

Old 12-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts
Default RE: who wants to play virtual jag technician?

THATS BS, WE DONT LISTEN FOR NOISE, IF THEYRE BAD, THEY DO NOT ALWAYS MAKE NOISE. THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE IS PULL A CAM COVER AND LOOK. IF THEYRE BROWNISH WHITE PLASTIC BODIED THEYRE BAD..PERIOD, REPLACE THEM, IF THEYYRE A METAL BODIED, THEYRE UPDATED

Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Jag...shame about the rain in the video....I'd be looking at a belt issue here...could also be a squeal from an idler pulley or even harmonic balancer starting to fail, (main engine pulley). Could be yoyur water pump too. Try some silicon spray on both belts whilst the engine is running...wouldn't go crazy, but I do this as a matter of course aboput once a year on all my cars...

Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I´m whith BRUTAL

If they aren´t replaced replace them. The squeal/whine is almost certainly from the belts

Old 01-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatched your vidoe know and im realy not shure about the squel

maybe the bearings on the supercharger????

or a tensioner pulley

Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm with brutal, visual inspection is the only way for chain tensioners and a close check of repair history if the car is a regular. The only noise I would listen for from the chain area would be VVT noise on cold start but then SC car doesn't have VVTs. SC cars need belt replacement yearly to keep the squeal away regardless of miles. There are a couple of tensioner/bracket/pulley updates but there effectiveness is questionable I usually recommend replaceing the belt and save the money from the updates for more belts.