XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Why I love my XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Why I love my XJ8

So today as I blew past an idiot driving 35 in a 65 on the country highway by my house I realized why I love this XJ8 more than my old 96 XJ6.

First thing I get a kick out of it if im cruising along and want to casually pass someone I can just move the shift selector over to the sport side and it kicks the tranny down giving me some extra UMPH to pass. My XJ6 didnt do that unless I actually hit the sport button first.

I am spoiled with the steering wheel controls for the cruise and the radio.... boy they sure do spoil ya.

I love the active radio volumn based on your speed..... something that used to always bother me in all cars but not in this baby.

I know to most these things means nothing and in reality its not that big a deal but..... the car does have more power than the 6 and heck the 6 has some get up and go.

Im sure newer versions, XJR's and such will be even more fun but im comparing the 6 to the 8, straight across the board. I also love the body changes, though subtle and the interior looks soooooooo much nicer (cupholder not withstanding).

I will say, though there are 2 things that I dont ....... like ??? Well one thing is the instrument panel SHELF, I call it that because since the X40 days I have always had a place to put my pager, beeper, phone, pen, whatever, LOL. and well......... its GONE. As much as I like the 3 gauge cluster there is no place for my phone. Well there is, thank god I dont smoke since thats where it resides now.

Also, another thing I have noticed (ive had this car for months by the way) is the redesign of the door panel and while its easier to reach the buttons I sit with my left leg bent at the knee.... with the new door panels my knee is now kinda wedged between the steering wheel and the button control. I have learned to sit differently but it is different though im not really complaining about it just making a comment.

I wont even start to compare the 99 to the 76, LOL, whole different world there.

Anyway, just wanted to comment on this and see if anyone else who upgraded from a 6 to an 8 noticed anything like this.

Attached Thumbnails Why I love my XJ8-jaguar-1999.jpg  

Last edited by John Fox; 07-31-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

You're a long term a Jaguar Owner and your opinions count for me too . From my experience I came from '88 to '93 and despite both XJ40s , there is a huge difference at almost anything let alone difference 76 vs 99
So, good to see you love your X308 more than your X300 because X300 seem more reliable and owner friendly lol

Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumb question: How do you us sport shifts while driving? I have yet to use this feature. Do I just move it from D to the left side? What number should I use? Do I keep my foot on the gas or release during the shift?

Just bought the car in April and it's a joy to drive compared to my 99 Civic

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Simply pulling the lever from D to "4" brings the car instantly out of top gear and down 1 gear, which you can use for simple overtaking...... however, if you need very accurate power delivery you can then shift down into 3 or 2. Typically for me this has been on a 2 lane road where you need to be in the right gear to overtake safely (read as quickly) as possible. Normally here the downshifts are a bit rough but I'm only on part throttle. Once I have it in the correct gear to give me the maximum power at the speed I'm going you just sit and wait for the gap and then plant it and go hurtling past the thing I was trying to overtake. Quite rewarding, especially in an XJR