XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

wierd elecrical problem after rust repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wierd elecrical problem after rust repair

Hello

I am wondering if anyone else have had this phenomenon happen to their car after it had its batttery disconected for a while and had some rust repair.

So to begin I stored my x308 in my garage for the winter and for warious repairs in the late october of last year. It had the battery disconnected since then and only had it connected for a short while to check som electrical functions and then disconnected again.
The biggest repair was to fix the rust on the front right hoist stand and some parts of the floor and wheel house. I have been working on that on and off since November and the battery has been removed since then.
Now I am done with the repair and put all the partial removed interior together and connected the battery and now the wierd electrical issue happend.
As soon i put the lead on the battery pole all the lights turns on and som relays start clicking and if i go inside the car the info panel illuminates and shows various fault messages, as Engine fault, trans fault, wrong part installed, Electrical problem, low brake fluid level. Keep in mind the ignition is not on, the key isnt even in the ignition. And if I put the key in and turn nothing happens, nothing turns on, not even the stereo. And the only way to turn the lights off is to put it in off mode on the stalk. The central locking works and i can open the boot without the key but thats about it that works properly. Did really the welding I did on the floor cause this? It makes no sense, It has been completely out of power during the process and it was completely fine before. It had some minor rust repair before and even had the battery connected some times and even then it was fine. The wiring loom that goes on the right side of the floor is not damaged it has only been lifted carfully in and out of the car as i have been working on the floor. It did tho get a bit close to some flames then som noise insulation started to burn. But I put it out quickly and it only slightly melted the tape around the wires. I have removed the tape and inspected the wires and the insulation on them is unharmed so it is not a short circuit there.
If anybody has some ideas please let me know I dont even know where to begin to troubleshoot apart from cheking all the fuses witch I did and all of them are fine.
thanks

Old 02-11-2023, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 856 Posts

Possibly part of the issue is that the inertia switch is tripped. I *think* it’s on the left, front, footwell behind the kick panel. Or it’s on the other side of the car in that same location. Push down on that switch. Let us know if anything changes after that.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
Possibly part of the issue is that the inertia switch is tripped. I *think* it’s on the left, front, footwell behind the kick panel. Or it’s on the other side of the car in that same location. Push down on that switch. Let us know if anything changes after that.
It was the inertia switch! Thank you! As soon i pushed it down she started right up! Only problem now is that i need to keep it pressed down because as soon I release it it goes back into shut of mode. I think I need a new switch.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 856 Posts

I’d say so about needing a new switch. The welding is what tripped it. My crystal ball seems to be working again. 😂

The following users liked this post:
eliotb (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 994 Likes on 832 Posts

The inertia switch can be fickle.from reading others

They can trip for no reason and also not be able to reset

If you open it up to fiddle with it springs and such will fly everywhere , ask me how I know

You can jumper the connector between the 2 white wires with a paper clip in a emergency , same on your earlier Jaguar

Probably your best bet is to find one at a salvage yard from a donor car that has not been in a accident by looking at the car body

Old 02-13-2023, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 364 Posts

Inertia switches are just finicky by the nature of their design,

Old 02-19-2023, 11:08 AM

I managed to repair the switch, aparantly it got a bit hot around it when it got activated so the button partially melted together with the housing so I couldnt press it down properly. But after carefully cutting it free I managed to press it down fully so now everything works fine

The following users liked this post:
David N. Warner (02-20-2023)