XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Will XJ8 chrome Trunk Trim Fit XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Will XJ8 chrome Trunk Trim Fit XJR?

The trim piece along the upper back edge of the trunk lid is painted the same color as my XJR. I am talking about the strip that has the trunk release button in the middle. However, the paint is pretty bad on it...faded, scratched, beat up, etc. so I want to change it out with a chrome piece from an XJ8. Are they the same trims and interchangeable or are they different?

Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

Only the Daimler and Vanden Plas ones are shorter, but can be easily recognized by the fluted design.
Are you now going for a chrome front grill on your XJR as well?

Old 07-03-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Only the Daimler and Vanden Plas ones are shorter, but can be easily recognized by the fluted design.
Are you now going for a chrome front grill on your XJR as well?
I actually don't mind the painted trim on the trunk or the painted grille. It's the fact that the paint on the trim is shot and it will be cheaper for me to just buy the chrome piece rather than have my current one repainted (and potentially not color matching.) The grille paint is faded along the top in some spots as well, but I am going to leave it for now. In the future, I might buy a chrome grille so I can have the choice of which I want to use.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

I like the extra chrome. The car has so much chrome on it anyway, why not even a little more like the XJ8's or the VDP's? I have an 02 XJR and unintentionally added more chrome to the car and I like the way it looks.

One of my brake lenses had a crack in it. XJR's don't have the chrome outline around the lenses but I wasn't even aware of this. I just assumed all the lenses of the X308's were the same. So I got on eBay and ordered a new (used) lens. Since they are interchangeable, I just ordered one from an XJ8. It arrived and I installed the new lens with the chrome strip on the left side of the car. I didn't even notice my two lenses didn't match. I drove the car for a month or two like this. Then one day a friend was driving my car and I was following it, admiring what a work of art on wheels this beauty was. (It's always fun to see your own car driving on the road because I don't get to see it often as I'm always behind the wheel.) But then I noticed something wasn't quite right! I thought to myself, "Why does my new lens on the left side look different than the one on the right side? Am I imagining something?" Then I noticed the lens on the right side didn't have any chrome around it!

So I had the unique opportunity to compare both together and I decided I liked the new one with the chrome better. The car already has so much chrome on it, why not a little more? So I ordered another lens from an XJ8 for the right side and now they both match with chrome and all is well again.

The paint on my trunk trim piece is in good shape so I don't need to change it. However, if I needed a new one, I think I'd go with chrome as well. Go for it!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:02 AM

I am going to have to double check my tail lights now. I couldve sworn they had the chrome trim! I have the trunk trim ordered...hopefully itll be here this week. That would be wonderful.