XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Window stuck, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window stuck, need help

At the moment, I have no ability to move my driver's side window which is extremely annoying. Some backstory as to explain what happened....my girlfriend accidentally spilled liquid on armrest which poored down to the master window switch. At first, nothing seemed broken. Then a few days later the window started to raise and lower on its own while I was driving which freaked me out!. Then a week after that, I no longer had the ability to raise or lower the passenger side window. Then a week after that, I eventually had no ability to raise or lower the driver's side window. So by then, the master switch couldn't lower or raise either the passenger side window or driver's side window. I ended finding a used master window switch (thinking this had to be the culprit) for my car on ebay and had a mechanic replace it for me. This actually ended up giving me access again to the passenger side window but not my driver's side...so so annoying. My mechanic said it must be the motor that got busted and see if I can buy a used replacement for it. Which I was able to find on ebay and had the mechanic put in for me. Unfortunately, that didn't resolve the problem. When we push the window button, we hear a click but nothing moves. That was also the case before he replaced the motor too. He confessed that he's not used to these cars and that this can be tricky but it might the module that is busted, however he's never dealt with those before in a car and it might need to be programmed by the dealer if I get it replaced.

So my question here before I go looking for the module and purchase it, does this sound right? Is it definitely the module that is busted and if so, does it need to be programmed? They even say on the module that they are "programmable". My car is a 99 XJ8 Vanden Plas and below is an ebay link to a used driver side module

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-99-00-01-02-03-JAGUAR-XJ8-XJR-VANDEN-PLAS-FRONT-LEFT-DRIVER-DOOR-MODULE/332799727315?fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3AVanden+Pla s&hash=item4d7c68d6d3:g:~yYAAOSwHhRZlk68&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Spolo85; 10-04-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,807 Likes on 1,324 Posts

First thing I'd try would be the "all down/up feature". Put your key in the door...turn and hold it to the right, locks should all unlock and windows go down in sequence, recenter key. Reverse holding action to the left, doors lock and windows go up.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 PM

So my jaguar doesn't have that functionality. I can only turn my key right to unlock all the doors and that's it

Old 10-04-2018, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Spolo85
So my jaguar doesn't have that functionality. I can only turn my key right to unlock all the doors and that's it
My '98 Door master Window Switch is bad so I have been rolling the windows up/down with the Key in the door.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar problem just the other day, drivers side window click but no down. I disconnected negative battery cable, turned ignition to run position, held negative cable to positive battery post for maybe fifteen seconds, then removed key from ignition and reconnected negative battery cable, put key back in and started, finding my similar problem resolved.

The following 2 users liked this post by astark:
Spolo85 (10-05-2018), Ungn (10-06-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by astark
I had a similar problem just the other day, drivers side window click but no down. I disconnected negative battery cable, turned ignition to run position, held negative cable to positive battery post for maybe fifteen seconds, then removed key from ignition and reconnected negative battery cable, put key back in and started, finding my similar problem resolved.
what made you think to try this? Are you sure connecting the negative battery cable to the positive won't cause any damage? does this release some sort of "lock" on the window?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by astark
I just googled what you described and apparently it resets the ECU....holy **** it worked!!! That's why I come here with my Jaguar problems, you guys are very insightful!!!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 AM

Wow !! That's my first time to help someone out here after being helped out so many times myself, glad that worked out for you :-)

Old 10-05-2018, 09:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Spolo85
I just googled what you described and apparently it resets the ECU .....
This is called a HARD RESET. It discharges the capacitors thereby losing all "learned" settings such as window travel limits and fuel trims returning them to default settings.

Members in Europe should make sure they have the radio security code BEFORE doing a HARD RESET because it has to be entered after reconnecting the battery. US cars very rarely have a coded radio.

Graham

Old 10-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Thanks Graham, us new guys count on you old guys and truly appreciate what a great site you make :-)

Old 10-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you got this figured out. This problem plagued me for awhile too. It usually happened when I would use the key to unlock/lock the door, rather than the remote. I found that if I make sure that the key is completely returned to the upright position before I pull it out of the door, I don't have the problem.

When it happens, I'd be willing to bet that you sunroof will also be affected. You will slide the sunroof open, it will stay open for only a couple of seconds, and then it will close. The driver window and the sunroof are almost always failed together.

The way I always fixed it was simply by disconnecting the negative battery cable for about a minute or two. You don't need to discharge it on the positive post, but you could.