XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Wipers

Hello all,

I just started having an issue this afternoon with my 2001 XJ8 L.

I was driving down the freeway, hit a bump, and then my windshield wiper did one swipe. This occurred 3 minutes later after another bump.

4 minutes later I got off the freeway and was at a light. The wiper did one swipe, again. It then started again. This time it was consistent and I finally turned it from Auto to off.

What could this issue be?

Hoping its just a relay?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Windscreen Rain sensor

Originally Posted by McLovinXJ8L
Hello all,

I was driving down the freeway, hit a bump, and then my windshield wiper did one swipe. This occurred 3 minutes later after another bump.

4 minutes later I got off the freeway and was at a light. The wiper did one swipe, again. It then started again. This time it was consistent and I finally turned it from Auto to off.

Hoping its just a relay?

Could be a relay, there are two under the the hood up near the left of the radiator and are brown/fawn. One is run and one is park. You can pull them and swap them to see if there is a change. I would also suggest that it could be the onscreen rain sensor. These are stuck on on and if detached at all slightly, will then trigger a sweep.

Look up Rain sensor Gel Pad for details.
Like these

I am not sure if the XK and XJ are the same.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Default Part #?

Very helpful!

Thank you!

I ordered the gel pads so far.

Is there a specific part number for the relays? I may just replace both of them at the same time.

Originally Posted by dsetter
Could be a relay, there are two under the the hood up near the left of the radiator and are brown/fawn. One is run and one is park. You can pull them and swap them to see if there is a change. I would also suggest that it could be the onscreen rain sensor. These are stuck on on and if detached at all slightly, will then trigger a sweep.

Look up Rain sensor Gel Pad for details.
Like these

I am not sure if the XK and XJ are the same.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

You don't need to replace the relays just swap them round and spray a bit of WD40 on the connections. For some reason doing this fixes them.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by McLovinXJ8L
Hello all,

Hoping its just a relay?

This happened to me recently. I tested it all, and it was actually a fault in the motor and not the relays. This is a very pricey fix, and the wiper motor alone from a Jag dealer is around $900! My advice: go onto Ebay or obtain a reconditioned generic motor compatible with what you have -- even if it's reconditioned (that's what I did and it cost around $180). If you need to replace the motor, just know that you will have to take off the upper, plastic coolant tank and for goodness sake, make sure the tubes on the anterior region of this tank are CROSSED when you or the shop puts it back on....less you will dump all your coolant (see old posts). Let us know what you ended up needing. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Scottish Chap
This happened to me recently. I tested it all, and it was actually a fault in the motor and not the relays. This is a very pricey fix, and the wiper motor alone from a Jag dealer is around $900! My advice: go onto Ebay or obtain a reconditioned generic motor compatible with what you have -- even if it's reconditioned (that's what I did and it cost around $180). If you need to replace the motor, just know that you will have to take off the upper, plastic coolant tank and for goodness sake, make sure the tubes on the anterior region of this tank are CROSSED when you or the shop puts it back on....less you will dump all your coolant (see old posts). Let us know what you ended up needing. Good luck!
Thanks for the information. I will be working on it this Saturday morning and will let you gus know of my findings.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:32 PM

I think it is fixed. I swapped the two relays and that did the trick. Sprayed water on the sensor and it started wiping. Took some pictures.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 PM

pics...Most are random

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Wipers-imag0012.jpg   Windshield Wipers-imag0011.jpg   Windshield Wipers-imag0010.jpg   Windshield Wipers-imag0009.jpg   Windshield Wipers-imag0008.jpg  

Windshield Wipers-imag0007.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks fro the pics , very decent ride indeed

Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Default Follow Up

So, my issue regarding the wipers are back and are still random. I have resorted to driving with the wipers in the on/off mode versus automatic.

I did end up replacing the relays up front to be on the safe side.

I have the gel pad and will replace it this weekend.

Is the gel pad removal and repalcement straight forward?

Just remove the old I assume by peeling it off and cleaning the surface until residue is completely off. Then just place the new gel pad in its place? I tried to have it done when I took my car in for a coolant leak issue, but the shop told me they could not do it and needed to contact a windshield repair person. Is this true?

Thanks for all the helpful advice so far.