XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Winter prep for a steel body

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Winter prep for a steel body

So unfortunately the volvo will fail state inspection this year (srs light , no idea why the cars never been crashed, pvc system needs to be changed, brakes need to be changed, and I have to track down a leak in the cabin; and the radiator has to be changed;it could run around town ,but my new job is 27miles away and I don't want to risk a good winter/shopping car ), so my winter car has become the xj. What can I do to keep it it from becoming a rust bucket. are there special coatings I can apply to its already missing clear coat. Or should I just get it wrapped for the time being(I think this would have the car cover effect of allowing air/water to sit under the wrap possibly making things worse than if I had left it alone). I'm currently running pirelli cinturato p7 plus II's but I'm not so certain this is a fool proof tire to have equipped should the worse happen and virginia gets burried in 2-7inches of snow with black ice on the highway. Does anyone here know of a decent studdable tire, that can be fitted to the oem 16" wheel? Thanks in advance. On a side note when the volvo is repaired the jag goes into the shop for more differed maintenace items (this time the rear dampers ,thermostat, spark plugs, serpentine belt, and oil will be addressed. I did change the oil in august but just to be safe I'm doing it early.)

Old 11-30-2020, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

fluid film the undercarriage and wash the exterior frequently

Old 12-01-2020, 11:52 AM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

The Volvo’s just getting broken in! You could move up the maintenance on the Volvo and have it back on the road in a week and protect the Jag from the horrors of winter. Love Volvos. I had a 63 122S, followed by a ton of 140- and 240-series, a 164 and a wagon, can’t recall if it was 940 or 740. They wreck quite well. But they’re sure not Jags.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

@eliotb I would totally do this but its a 04 P2 series xc70 and I'd have to wait two weeks for the cem(honestly its only badly engineered part) to come back (and I just started this job) , and the volvos state inspection is only good until the end of december; so its on borrowed time right now. It did drive like a dream. sure it doesn't have a strong high rpm power level, but that awd makes it about even from 0-60 with the na xj8. In any case the shop is still two weeks behind schedule so the volvo won't be out until around the 21st(if i'm lucky) or 4th of january assuming they can get to it. On the subject of P2 series volvos when the CEM goes out you lose all readings from the guage cluster first than in 5 seconds it will reboot and show every possible error light and register every possible error code. I took it in to the shop to find out what was wrong and they came back to me with 4 pages of error codes. They are reliable, and a really good winter car if you're looking for a luxury estate assuming your cat can hibernate(I don't have a garage or public parking so thats out of the question).

Old 12-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

I’d get another one as the seats in what I had were so darn good, and I know my disabled wife would like it. I have a Prius as a runaround car and I’m retired, so I’m not a slave to getting to a job. Maybe when I get thoroughly bored with the Prius. In fact, I was looking at some on line while I was searching around for the Jag I ultimately ended up with. I just did not realize they had bugs such as you describe. A friend was trying to get me to buy some turbo wagon he swore would do better than 150 mph and was made in limited numbers. A V70 maybe? That’s the last thing I need! A wagon is OK, that much speed at my disposal is not.

Good luck with the automotive saga.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

i found out many years ago that car washes that do the under side use recycled water, hence if salt is used on the roads its sprayed underneath

Old 12-13-2020, 01:32 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Does anyone take precautions to keep water from settling in the recess at the bottom of the rear window?
Not just a winter driving problem, but applicable to all when washing.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:05 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Eric,
A Jag buddy just mentioned this issue tome yesterday. He has rust from water entering in this area.
I'll be on the alert for my own car.
Maybe a wipe of sealer along the lower edge is a good idea?
Rob