XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wiring Harness, Cooling System and other Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Harness, Cooling System and other Connectors

I've found when working my way around our XJR that often I am slowed down by de-chyphering the intent of the engineers who designed the various fittings that are used in the fuel, cooling, electrical systems,,,,was it to make the connectors more secure or was it to test the IQ of those who must figure how to disconnect them or possibly to ensure a steady source of income for their dealers.

I am currently troubleshooting a no-start condition on our 1998 XJR and have narrowed it down to likely fuel pumps failure. As a last step, I acquired a fuel pressure gauge from Amazon and am about to connect it to the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and again am foiled because of the inept placement of this valve and that it is completely obscured by several sets of wiring harnesses that must be disconnected in order to access it.

So as to not risk doing some permanent damage, I am posting this thread to find if there might be another thread that describes the various connectors and fittings that one will normally find on their Jaguars and the best methods and/or tools to deal with them.

I've seen interesting connectors and or clamps on the fuel system(gas tank lines to fuel pump), cooling system(the little lines that run everywhere under the hood), electrical fittings, and even a rather odd connector that must be removed in order to access the air filter. All of which take a number of minutes to figure out,,,,,I am more accustomed to radiator clamps that take only a screwdriver, or fuel lines that a pair of open end wrenches will deal with just fine(of course I am dealing with old American Iron where no one tries to get to fancy and where automotive repairs were based upon a pair of pliers and a few feet of bailing wire,,,,but not the case anymore either).

For now however if not a complete listing of all fittings and how they work, I would be happy to have advice on the above mentioned electrical fittings at the schrader valve so that I can try my new tool.

Thank you. By the way this is a great forum in the advice that I've read on many topics.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Is the fuel injector harness getting in the way ? Mine are routed through a channel that runs parallel to the cylinder bank and are not in the way of accessing the schrader valve. The engine covers are a pain for me though. They are always in the way, and to get the RH one off, you need to remove the air intake trunking - at least I do. The fuel lines take a top hat type tool or quick connect tool that you slip around the fuel line and slide between the outer and inner tubes and push. You can get the tool at Autozone for cheap. The hard plastic coolant lines take another tool shaped like a "C" that slips through the "wings" sideways and pushes them outwards. It's like electrical connectors, once you know the trick, it's easy-er.