XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start

Hey, Recently when I arrived home, I turned off the ignition. The next morning, the Jag wouldn't start - it just cranked as usual. I was in a hurry and took another car. Now, I'm trying to get it running. Here are the particulars:
I have spark.
Only OBD is P1000.
Removing the air intake to the throttle, I poured about a half cup of good gas in with no luck. Looking down into the intake manifold, I noticed a large amount of fluid. I used the wife's turkey baster to get a sample. I put the sample into a glass to see if there was any water - there was none. However, the sample was rust colored.
Pulled several plugs they were wet (like oil).
Checked fuel pressure by pressing down on the Schrader valve, and it was good.
Any ideas?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Assuming you still have enough battery, hold the gas pedal all the way open and crank it. If it begins to cough and sputter, your problem is flooding. Holding throttle open stops gas flow and allows the engine to clear (much like we used to do with cars with chokes).

Once it feels like it is trying to catch, let up the gas pedal and it should start.

Otherwise, need check the immobilizer. See the drivers handbook.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Put you finger on the # 1 fuel pump relay and feel for it to click on for 3 seconds then off with the key in the on position before the starter position . The relay will click on again when the ECU sees engine rotation .

The ECU will not function below around 11.5 volts . So in the heat of battle my have drained the battery below that point . Monitor the voltage gauge .

There is a condition referred to as a bore wash you may have entered into that can be easily remedied .

Keep asking questions

Old 05-29-2018, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The most likely problem, since you state you have fuel pressure at the schrader valve and you know you have spark , is the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
The starting sequence for the X308 is when the key is turned to the first position the fuel pump comes on for 3 to 5 seconds and charges the rack. Then when you move to the start position the engine begins to crank and the CKPS sends a signal to the ECU that the engine is rotating and the ECU turns the fuel back on and controls it with the programmed fuel map. Pouring fuel in the intake opening normally won't start the engine. You have eliminated the MAF and no signal is going to the ECU.
I would first recommend pulling the CKPS and cleaning the face of it with electronic cleaner. While you are there check the wires for breaks or tears. Road debris can damage the wire.

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (05-29-2018)