XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wont Start After Battery Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted to give you guys an update, I had taken the car in to the dealership a week or so ago and I just heard back from them. The tech was able to jumper the relay and get the primary pump working, but he says that the secondary one isn't working and I need to replace both pumps. To me, this makes no sense because if the primary pump was working, why didn't the car start? The secondary pump would have limited the rpm and power, but the car should start on the Primary.

Also, why did he have to jumper the pump to get it going? I still don't think its the pumps, but if it is, which ones are recommended right now? I only want to do this job once if I have to change them. I am going to go over later today and discuss this with them as I cant believe what they are telling me as it makes no logical sense. The tech hasn't even checked the Alarm System.

Severely confused right now as I don't have the equipment to scan the electrical system on the car and I am not sure that what I am being told is correct as the car ran totally well before the battery went dead with no fuel pump noise or hard starting issues. I just don't want them to throw parts at the car until it works again.

Eric

Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Eric, I am assuming you have an XJR. or superv8 vdp?

They have 2 fuel pumps, I think they start on the secondary fuel pump ( the one that kicks in above 3,000 rpm) and then run on the primary pump.

So what your man is saying do make sense.

The following users liked this post:
23racer (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 06:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it happens. My pump went out right after getting new keys. They made the keys, they drove the car to pick up area, already to go. next day got there turned over no start. Luckily I had DMM and could do some testing. Very high resistance was found in my pump. So even if it wasnt the issue per se, that pump was dead. it was nearly open circuit in the pump. my body had less resistance than the pump. It turned out to be the problem.

it just went dead just like that. From running perfectly fine to dead. thus what was supposed to be $500 and go ended up a few more days and extra $1700. parts/labor for that one pump the vdp N/A has.

The following users liked this post:
23racer (05-14-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 07:18 AM

I totally think this makes no sense that the oe pump could fail with less than 40,000 miles on the car, but cest la vie. I will ask for their quote and if its eye watering, drag the beast home and change them myself. I can purchase replacement Delphi pumps for $90 each and do all the work myself, it just made no sense that the pump would fail that way as usually electric fuel pumps give some warning first, like noise or poor running.

Thanks a ton guys. It confirms what the tech says, not what I want to hear, butit all makes sense.

Eric

Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
Eric, I am assuming you have an XJR. or superv8 vdp?

They have 2 fuel pumps, I think they start on the secondary fuel pump ( the one that kicks in above 3,000 rpm) and then run on the primary pump.

So what your man is saying do make sense.

Andrew, this is the key to having it all make sense. I couldn't understand why I got that code and the car wouldn't start, even in a limited performance way. Thanks and just another oddity in how the original engineers made this car work. I even understand the switchover from pump to pump, in a perverse engineering mind way.

Thanks again.

Eric