XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Won't start xj8

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018 | 03:16 AM
|
Angry Won't start xj8

I have a 1998 XJ8 (308) 3.2 liter N/A
I drove it home parked in driveway no problems
Then 2 weeks later I tried to start it and it cough and spluttered would not rev over 1,200
every time I tried to accelerate (this is in neutral in the driveway) it started to die
So I have left it for a month put some fuel in as it was low and now it only cranks no fire, noback fire up the carby nothing
Where do I start any Ideas pls
Dutchy

Old 10-23-2018 | 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

1) Check the battery voltage, these cars are apparently fickle about voltage. How old is the battery etc.

2) Check for fuel pressure to the injector rail...........you may have a failed fuel pump, it is common on XJ8s.

3) Check spark plugs and coils for spark and cleanliness.

Old 10-23-2018 | 11:38 PM
|

The battery is new and cranks great
Do I need special equipment to test fuel pressure
everything was running fine
Maybe it is something to do with the immobilizer, so how do you make sure its off
I have had problems with the remote lately maybe I have done something?

Old 10-24-2018 | 01:43 AM

I would think it's fuel related. You can probably pick up or loan a fuel pressure test kit from your local auto parts store. Not sure about the 3.2, but in the 4.0, there is a cap near the front left part of the engine on the fuel rail. But in your case, I think it might be as indicated in the picture.

Old 10-24-2018 | 01:46 AM
|

ok I will give that a go this weekend
do you know what sort of pressure level I can expect?

Old 10-24-2018 | 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dutchy
ok I will give that a go this weekend
do you know what sort of pressure level I can expect?
Should probably see around 40 psi. The computer primes the rail with fuel pressure by turning on the pump a for a few seconds on the "On" position, right before the crank position. So you don't have start the car just turn it to the ON position, and you should get pressure if your fuel pump is working.

The following users liked this post:
Dutchy (10-24-2018)
Old 10-25-2018 | 03:57 PM

The cap is at the front left of the engine, it's probably got a blue dust cap on it. Until I recently got a pressure tester I used to remove the cap, put a small piece of rag around the valve to collect spillage, and lightly press the centre of the valve, if it shot a little fuel out.. I had pressure. It's not accurate and it may be less pressure than required, a proper tester is much better.

Old 11-10-2018 | 10:42 AM
|

Hi Guy's
thank you, I found no pressure on the fuel rail.
1. Look's like a Big job to remove the fuel tank to replace the pump or find wiring to see if it has voltage?
2. So to move the car to the garage, can I connect 1 of my refrigeration hoses to the Schroder valve (fuel rail), connect a new pump, fuel etc and get it to run via this rail fitting?

Old 11-10-2018 | 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Never thought of that. It's probably worth a try.

Old 11-10-2018 | 04:41 PM
|

Ok I have ordered a new pump and also watched some removals on youtube
I will let you know in a couple of weeks

Old 11-26-2018 | 04:58 PM

I replaced my fuel pump in my 2000 XJ8 yesterday. The most difficult part of this was the disconnecting the fuel line. I had all the necessary tools but was unable to disconnect the hose. So I loosened up the fuel filter so I could have just enough room to pull the tank out so I could access the top to have access to the fuel pump. My fuel screen had was so bad that it was not attached to the pump and crumbled in my hand. Good luck on completing yours.

Last edited by capitalsearch; 11-26-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: miss spelled some words
The following users liked this post:
Carnival Kid (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018 | 05:43 PM

Ok I have ordered a new pump and also watched some removals on youtube
I will let you know in a couple of weeks
I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago. The residual pressure got the engine to start and idle for a short while but then it just would not start. I was not brave and had the fuel pump replaced by a Jaguar indy near me, $800. You may want to watch this video:

​​​​​​

Old 11-27-2018 | 03:20 PM
|

Thanks Capital I will try that so the fule access hole is at the top
and yes this disconnecting of these quick fit connections are a nightmare same as the heater hose
I have seen on youtube a fellow that makes a tool from a 3/8 extension shaft I think it was
the pump has just arrived so I will connect it directly to the fuel rail just to move it under cover
regards John ( Dutchy)

Old 11-27-2018 | 03:32 PM
|

I wonder if this is the same guy that did William and Kate wedding
sure likes to yack gad not paying by the hour !
any way if there is a hot joint I will cut away the plastic and directly solder the connections
the standard relay 30 and 87 are the supply to the relay control coil which in turn do the load switching 85 and 86
thanks for the help and info
regards Dutchy

Old 11-27-2018 | 06:07 PM

Notwithstanding his demeanor, which puts some people off, the guy is pretty good at providing good instructions. He doesn't just do this for Jaguars. This video was not the instruction video, which is in Part 2. This was a description of what the job entails and allows DIYers, obviously less talented than you, to determine whether or not they want to tackle the job. I found it helpful.

Old 11-27-2018 | 11:40 PM
|

Your demeanor is defined as being either your facial appearance or your behavior. ... Demeanor in English today has evolved from Middle English and Old French to refer to the way one manages or presents oneself, and this definition applies to conduct as well as facial expressions.
This is not what I said I am Sorry to have offended, it's just how long he took to get to practical at least 1/2 or more of the clip was pointless yacking and come to that whats with all the jag shots

Old 11-28-2018 | 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

That's the way he is: but, most of the time he is pretty complete. Once in a while a mistake, which he readily admits (i.e., fixing a bad tail light by crossing the good side to the bad), but if you just catch his one YouTube you miss the error. And he uses the forum to figure out what to do. His car is a Volvo (he uses it as a garage!!! or junk pile), the Jag, I think, is his brother's.

Check out his site: fairly complete, but he needs to fill the time. So with the Jaguar ones, he tends to ramble as he discovers . . .

Old 11-28-2018 | 06:01 PM

Your demeanor is defined as being either your facial appearance or your behavior. ... Demeanor in English today has evolved from Middle English and Old French to refer to the way one manages or presents oneself, and this definition applies to conduct as well as facial expressions.
This is not what I said I am Sorry to have offended, it's just how long he took to get to practical at least 1/2 or more of the clip was pointless yacking and come to that whats with all the jag shots
Exactly, what I said, his demeanor (or behavior) puts some people off, and I guess you are one of the people that do not appreciate his talkativeness and repetiveness. I kind of like the guy, on the other hand.

Old 12-04-2018 | 09:51 AM

I had the same problem. Maybe a little different but still. I shut the car off, went in the store, came right back out and no start. I tried jumping the car, and a few other things. An older guy that was a jag mechanic told me to check the clock spring. I thought he was nuts... well after the same thing happened a few more times, I bought a used one on ebay, read up on how to remove the airbag, put the (new) clock spring in and it's started every time. After you disconnect the battery, wait at least 1/2 hour before you take the bag off. It's a simple job, took me less than an hour after the 1/2 hour wait. Food for thought...