XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Wood Trim Glue Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Wood Trim Glue Recommendation?

The wood veneer has separated from the metal backing on my center console trim. I have removed the assembly, and it looks like the veneer is simply glued on to the backplate.

Does anyone have experience with gluing these trim pieces onto the metal backing, and can recommend the type of glue to use to get a long-lasting result?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by badger2196
The wood veneer has separated from the metal backing on my center console trim. I have removed the assembly, and it looks like the veneer is simply glued on to the backplate.

Does anyone have experience with gluing these trim pieces onto the metal backing, and can recommend the type of glue to use to get a long-lasting result?
BE CAREFUL! The veneer finish is very thin.

I carefully cleaned off the old glue from the metal backing with lacquer thinner, and used plain old contact cement, I believe weldwood contact cement:

follow the directions. smooth, even coat on both pieces, let solvent flash off, and carefully (you won't get a second chance, so start at either end with lining up the edges) mate the two and work from one end to the other.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Weldwood is an excellent product to us, be sure to follow the directions and preparation is also the key. I have used it for many projects when woodworking which I have done for over 10 yrs